U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:57 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,917,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
No, it was not my assumption that the answer was "no". I asked the question based on my recollection of never reading in the bible where Jesus directed his followers to write his words down in a book. Being fully aware that I may have been wrong, I posed the question to others who may have possibly read such a passage, that I may have missed.

My final point is...if Jesus did not direct his diciples to write his words, then the words of Jesus in the New Testament were "unauthorized" and therefore, the New Testament is "unauthorized".
How do we know that Jesus didn't specifically direct them to write His words when he was gone? At least one of the gospels makes mention of the fact that Jesus did many things which went unrecorded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:08 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,246,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
"Give me a word, give me a sign.
Show me where to look.
Tell me: What will I find?"
Oh, June, I'm trying....I'm trying

I have a friend, a dear friend who is quite fond of Zen.

They say Zen considers these words/signs, if I may be so liberal, undefinable.

I say 'no', it's definable.

The answer to every request above is The Name Above All Names.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:08 PM

261 posts, read 563,117 times
It's obvious this person doesn't want an answer. Remember the verse about casting your pearls & swine?
Save your strength. You did a great job answering the questions. They were right on the money and easy to understand.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
How do we know that Jesus didn't specifically direct them to write His words when he was gone? At least one of the gospels makes mention of the fact that Jesus did many things which went unrecorded.
Excellent point, kaykay. Of course you're probably gonna get accused of playing your 'get outta jail free card' LOL

Old 10-08-2007, 03:53 PM

2,058 posts, read 4,311,072 times
The Quran says that God asked Jesus if he went throughout the world proclaiming that he was the Son of God, and Jesus denied doing so. Therefore, I find it quite strange that there is no "direct instruction" from Jesus to his diciples, to write his words or life events in the New Testament or any other book.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:12 PM

So you go from this....

Quote:
We always hear, Jesus said this and Jesus said that in the Bible. But did Jesus ever actually direct his follows to write the New Testament or write down his words?
to this......

Quote:
The Quran says that God asked Jesus if he went throughout the world proclaiming that he was the Son of God, and Jesus denied doing so.
and accuse me of the bait and switch?

You ask about the Bible and then reference the Quran.

At least we know now that you weren't 'really' asking......

Old 10-08-2007, 05:47 PM

51,062 posts, read 29,141,449 times
Jesus did in fact tell his disciples to write the New Testament, Mark 16:15 And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone."

They all did just that, and wrote the New Testament for all future generations.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 953 times
As God is my witness, the Holy Spirit told me a few months ago....in a loud audio voice...."I NEVER told anyone to write anything!" With over 3000 different Christian denominations, I can clearly understand why Yeshua gave me this message. I can honestly say I've been seeking the Truth for the past 16 years and the answers are finally coming.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 PM

3 posts, read 1,578 times
Default Did Jesus command to write

Did Jesus command his followers to write? Not in a literal go write this down. More relevant for his time period, Jesus DID, however, command his followers to go TEACH what he had taught them. If you study history, you will learn that his society was an "oral tradition" society. Knowledge was passed on through memorization and Rabbis were famous for memorizing vast quantities of scripture (The entire first 5 books of the bible - or the Torah for example.)

"19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. - Jesus' last command before ascension.

It is much more relevant that the command be TEACH than write. TEACH would INCLUDE but not be limited to writing.

Hope that answers and provides clarity to your question.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 1,578 times
Quote:
The Quran says that God asked Jesus if he went throughout the world proclaiming that he was the Son of God, and Jesus denied doing so. Therefore, I find it quite strange that there is no "direct instruction" from Jesus to his diciples, to write his words or life events in the New Testament or any other book.

This would also be massively incorrect as Jesus affirms that he is the Unique (monogenese) Son of God on numerous occasions. When asked DIRECTLY to his face, he confirmed he was.

They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He replied, "You are right in saying I am." - Luke 22:70

There are numerous other occasions where this is documented as well. More important than this demonstrating that the Qur'an is false, is the fact that Jesus most commonly applied title to himself is "Son of Man" and he specifically gives the reference to the "Son of man coming on the clouds" (Matthew 24:30) which is a specific prophetic reference to Daniel 7:13-14 where in the Son of Man is given all power, dominion (Rule), so that ALL PEOPLE of ALL nations would WORSHIP him. Thus, Jesus specifically connects himself to a passage that defines him as God. (Only God is to receive worship. Only God rules and has dominion of all people.)

Hope that ALSO provides you some additional clarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or