Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmessage View Post
we both believe that something was there at first and nothing was before it.
Don't include me in that.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yeah, firstborn, but does it mean confidence that something is NOT true?
I am confident that if there is an afterlife we will all have an equal chance at it...not just those who pattern their lives by words from ignorant primitives from the stone age.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaam View Post
So, someday we will know who was right.
Whoever dies first won't be able to come back and tell us if God and Heaven exist as described in these books.

Finalmessage-

There is nothing more noble about the Qur'an than any of the other books available..... this doesn't lend it any more credence.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:30 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaam View Post
Are you so confident in your beliefs ? What if you were completely wrong?

I hope the response are seriously pleas
I don't disbelieve in God, and I don't believe in God. I don't know what that makes me, maybe Agnostic?

I don't hold any beliefs, really, other than two things-
1. If there is indeed a God, Heaven, and Hell, I don't believe that an all-loving and all-knowing God would damn my soul to Hell for eternity for punishment. It sorta defeats the purpose of being all-loving and all-knowing. If S/He really was all-loving and all-knowing, I would really LOVE to KNOW why God wouldn't have the foresight to inform me that I am either definitely going to Hell or Heaven and thus fix whatever I'm doing wrong.

2. What if I'm wrong? Doesn't bother me any. If there is no afterlife and I am destined to rot, be dust in the wind, fish food, roadkill, or whatever, I won't be angry. If there IS an afterlife, I stand to be very pleasantly surprised (hopefully, though I don't really commit any serious sins in my opinion)

Old 06-13-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I don't disbelieve in God, and I don't believe in God. I don't know what that makes me, maybe Agnostic?

I don't hold any beliefs, really, other than two things-
1. If there is indeed a God, Heaven, and Hell, I don't believe that an all-loving and all-knowing God would damn my soul to Hell for eternity for punishment. It sorta defeats the purpose of being all-loving and all-knowing. If S/He really was all-loving and all-knowing, I would really LOVE to KNOW why God wouldn't have the foresight to inform me that I am either definitely going to Hell or Heaven and thus fix whatever I'm doing wrong.

2. What if I'm wrong? Doesn't bother me any. If there is no afterlife and I am destined to rot, be dust in the wind, fish food, roadkill, or whatever, I won't be angry. If there IS an afterlife, I stand to be very pleasantly surprised (hopefully, though I don't really commit any serious sins in my opinion)
PLUS...why would a loving, caring supreme being drop by and leave the only keys to the kingdom with a mob of ignorant primitives during the stone or bronze age and never make his/her/it's presence known again?

Last edited by Melvin.George; 06-13-2011 at 05:39 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned .
The post was nonsensical, and as such, there was no argument to be made in response. I thought that would be clear in my very simple answer to it...perhaps I was mistaken.

You could pass for his twin, then. He was fond of focusing on minutiae and twisting off on tangents that had nothing to do with the the subject at hand, [intentionally] missing the obvious point and distracting and diverting conversations into meaningless mumbo-jumbo. Although occasionally amusing to play with, I often lacked the motivation to descend to the particular level of crazy necessary. You play his game well.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-25-2011 at 06:12 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You would limit your evidence to what can be detected measured in less than 5% of the Universe? The undetectable and unmeasurable 95+% is what?
If this stuff is undetectable and unmeasurable how do you know it exists?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
If this stuff is undetectable and unmeasurable how do you know it exists?
LOL, good point!

'Gotta spread it around...'

Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Whoever dies first won't be able to come back and tell us if God and Heaven exist as described in these books.
Exactly, which is why the men who wrote those books had now idea what they were talking about. They made it all up.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Exactly, which is why the men who wrote those books had now idea what they were talking about. They made it all up.
AND...like I've said so often, when folks accept a 2000 year old story as a pattern for their lives and dig deep in their wallet on Sunday mornings for a promise of something which isn't gonna happen till after they're dead...they prove that P.T. Barnum knew what he was talking about when he said, "There's A Sucker Born Every Minute."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality