Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did you leave your birth religion?
I found errors in it. 30 54.55%
I married someone of another faith 0 0%
I found a belief I feel is better. 14 25.45%
OTHER please tell what in the thread. 11 20.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:40 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Most people tend to stay in the religion or non-religion they were born in. I left my birth religion because I found too many errors in it. I am curious as to other reasons people have. I can only think of 3 or 4 reasons a person would leave their beliefs. If you have any other besides what I have listed please explain.
I am, by no means an atheist, but I think there are errors in all religions. I'm just tired of institutions in general (not just religion, but all of them). Institutions always seem to end up being used as vehicles for concentrating power and control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,291 times
I came to view that all religions had all the same basic principles and teachings, but then I felt that set rules of any religion only hinders my growth, spiritually and mentally. Therefore I believe in God but No Religion

Old 06-17-2011, 06:46 AM

147 posts, read 153,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I am, by no means an atheist, but I think there are errors in all religions. I'm just tired of institutions in general (not just religion, but all of them). Institutions always seem to end up being used as vehicles for concentrating power and control.
did you read the qoran Allah said in quran [Do they not then meditate on the Quran? And if it were from any other than Allah, they would have found in it many a discrepancy.] the only holy book did not change i challenge you to find one mistake in it if you read it you will know it is from god not from human

Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkarloveALLAH View Post
did you read the qoran Allah said in quran [Do they not then meditate on the Quran? And if it were from any other than Allah, they would have found in it many a discrepancy.] the only holy book did not change i challenge you to find one mistake in it if you read it you will know it is from god not from human

Anytime man reads and comes to conclusions of meaning there is room for error. No 2 people will read something the same way.

if all who read the quran came to the same conclusions there would not be so many Muslims out there behaving badly in the name of Islam.

Muslims say the quran calls for peace, they say it calls for Jihad, they say it says to kill the infidels, they say it says that we are all people of the book.

The simple fact that Muslims read and come to their own conclusions means that the book is read in many different ways.

So truth is in the eye of the reader and how he reads a particular passage.

No book is perfect, or infallible......

Old 06-17-2011, 08:01 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Born into an atheistic family, but by the time I was 20 I came to the realization that there was a God. By age 24 I had become a Christian by the leading of the Holy Spirit.
I'd like to know why you chose Christianity? I was born in a Christian family and by with 30's am realizing that Jesus of the New Testament is most likely not a historical figure.

Though I would submit that there must be a Creator, but for some reason, He chooses to remain in the shadow. I'd think that a Deity that wants to be known would find a way to reach everyone.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post
An atheist can claim they doubt the existence of a god/creator, but because of that possibility I described above, there is no logical basis to say definitively that no god exists without declaring yourself to be omnipotent, which is a silly argument for a person to make.
On the other hand, would you doubt the existence of pink unicorns that you just can see? What can you really rule out using the above logic?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 AM

35 posts, read 39,171 times
There is a difference between doubt and certainty. No human has the omniscience to say with certainty that a creator does not exist. I have heard the fairy tale analogy used repeatedly, but I think it is easier to not believe what you don't see than to think about the ramifications may be if there is.

Also the argument that because there are many religions and some of them are violent there can be no God. Would you say that every doctor kills their patients, simply because some have? Are all historians liars because there are widely differing views? It's not a matter of all being wrong if some are wrong. If there is a God creator, then if He revealed Himself at all to people, one version of the story has to be closest to the truth than all other versions. Then similar versions would be the next closest. Versions bearing no resemblance would be imposters.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 AM

35 posts, read 39,171 times
ashkar,

I keep hearing the myth that there was only one version of the Koran ever. There were several version. That is one characteristic of Islam that is worrisome. More so than any other religion I have seen, there is a lack of integrity and honesty. There is more concern about making the religion look good than honestly explaining the shortcomings.

I looked up a website recommended by Woodrow that went into detail to explain away the questionable aspects of Islam. Reading the Muslim view only reinforced my view that integrity is not taught in Islam. It is partially a consequence of being taught that the allah you believe in lied to all of humanity many times before abrogating all the peacefull teachings and replacing them with the war oriented teachings. Would an omnipotent God need to stoop to such poor behavior? Absolutely not, but the inventor of a religion would need a way to explain why his previous teachings strongly contradicted new teachings he chose.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post
I left the religion I was born with when I was a teenager. I grew to detest any religion. During that time, I had a boring job at an airport that required long periods riding transport vehicles with nothing to do. I would read advertisements out of boredom. One day, a women gave me a tip, not in cash, but a pocket Bible. It was the only book I knew that fit into my tiny shirt pocket. I read it as an intellectual curiosity, at least more interesting than reading advertisements. Eventually I saw that the actual teachings of the Christian gospel were more noble than any other moral/philosophical school around. That was even before considering whether or not the religious aspects were true. After reading the New Testament as an agnostic, I really started to become impressed by basic Christian morality as being the most well thought out way of life. In this way, I did not get bogged down by others' interpretations or behavior to taint my impressions.

I read more and more books looking for the reasons behind Christian thinking, until I had a sudden conversion experience when I felt my heart stop beating one day. I decided to become a Christian that day, and I continue to keep learning more about Christian morality and natural law every year. I decided to become a Catholic through my search for truth and investigations into the Bible. I've found over the years that there are generally two kinds of people who don't like the Catholic Church, or Christianity:
1. People who don't understand the ACTUAL teachings of the faith
2. People who detest actual morality

If anyone would like an explanation of a Catholic/general Christian teaching that they disagree with or simply don't understand, let me know. I'll be happy to explain. If it is a while after this post, perhaps let me know directly what your questions or comment is.
I'm curios, how did you *become* a Christian? Not how you decided that you should be a Christian, but how you actually became one? I'm aware of several different theologies in Christianity.

1st one teaches that you must believe in Jesus Christ as God in the human flesh and unless you accept full divinity and full humanity, you are trusting 'another' Jesus who is not the Savior.

2ndly, you must believe in Jesus alone refusing to trust your performance. Basically, you must believe that Jesus saves you from hell and nothing you do or don't do affects your salvation. Unless you believe this, you are not saved.

3rdly, some Christians believe that repentance from sin is required, meaning you must make a commitment to forsake all of your sins if you want to be right with Jesus. Those who hold the 2nd view, oppose those in the 3rd category and vice versa. These tend to believe that you must be baptized to be save.

Of course, there are variations. For example, there are "faith alone" believers who will also believe that if you truly and honestly believe you will inevitably repent and if you have not repented, no matter how sincere you think you are, you simply never really believed and the way to truly believe is to repent of your sins and believe though you must realize you are saved by faith alone.

So, where did you fit in?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:57 AM

147 posts, read 153,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Anytime man reads and comes to conclusions of meaning there is room for error. No 2 people will read something the same way.

if all who read the quran came to the same conclusions there would not be so many Muslims out there behaving badly in the name of Islam.

Muslims say the quran calls for peace, they say it calls for Jihad, they say it says to kill the infidels, they say it says that we are all people of the book.

The simple fact that Muslims read and come to their own conclusions means that the book is read in many different ways.

So truth is in the eye of the reader and how he reads a particular passage.

No book is perfect, or infallible......
look you told me before [you need not judge what you do not know.]why you did not practice your advice
this is your comment [if all who read the quran came to the same conclusions there would not be so many Muslims out there behaving badly in the name of Islam.]this is wrong when Allah says in quran [ And do not kill any one whom Allah has forbidden, except for a just cause, and whoever is slain unjustly, We have indeed given to his heir authority, so let him not exceed the just limits in slaying; surely he is aided.]is there any conclusions in this ayah the meaning is clear for every one if you - me and all the people read story we will get the same understand--- yes [quran is peace] the meaning of jihad [ Defend of your rights] do you want the enemy toke all the things from me and i keep silent is this[ Justice]---- the rules of Islam clear for every one even for stupid because [the true has only one way but the false have many] Allah said in quran [ This Book, there is no doubt in it, is a guide to those who guard (against evil).
"2.3": Those who believe in the unseen and keep up prayer and spend out of what We have given them.] quran is perfect no mistake in it because [god words] the others have many because from human if you doubt give me your proof
this man from Jewish he is Surprised from quran
YouTube - ‫
YouTube - ‫ so why lots of Americans convert to ISLAM why they did not say it is from devil look at this Converting to Islam in the U.S. Following 9/11 , 34000 embraced Islam !, why they converted to Islam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality