Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be GAY and GOD-FEARING at the same time?
Yes 82 52.90%
No 64 41.29%
As long as you say you're sorry in the end, you can do anything you want in the meantime... 5 3.23%
Sadly Undecided 4 2.58%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:48 PM

103 posts, read 92,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The reality is that a born again gay person fully understands what denying himself and taking up his cross daily means, and he knows fully well that since he can't marry a woman because he's not sexually attracted to have sex with her or any woman and because there is no where in Scripture that says he can get married to a man to be monagomous with, he is left with basically one choice-not have sex at all. As hard as that is to swallow, he fully understands that if he is truly born again, he can't willfully fornicate with a man, knowing that he's acting out of the flesh, which cannot please God Romans 8:8. He fully knows that even though he may be tempted or weak to engage in that sin, engaging in that type of sin, willfully, won't allow him to see or inherit God's kingdom 1Corinthians 6:9-10.
You're basing your views on scriptures which have already been demonstrated to be inaccurate translations of the original texts. There is no Biblical condemnation of homosexuality. And if a gay man has sex with a partner that is involved in a civil union, then they are for all intents and purposes "married" and not fornicating. Not that religion is relevant to the matter.

Quote:
You note that: There is no rational reason why gay people cannot be legally married (or the 100% equivalent) in a society that is supposed to uphold personal freedom and the basic human rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

You fail to forget that some people think that it's ok to marry children, animals, and objects.
And you seem to be forgetting that children, animals and objects are not ADULT humans that have the power to consent to a relationship. Comparing gay marriage to intergenerational relationships, bestiality etc is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:
Freedom comes at a cost, and unfortunately freedom is abused by people who think that they have every right to do whatever they want. The reality of this matter is that, if we didn't have certain laws in place then this country would probably be a lot worse than it currently is without those laws in place.
And that's what the Confedracy said about slavery. And what many men said about equal rights for women.

Face it, some laws are outdated, silly and need to be changed for society to progress.

Quote:
It seems to me that you think that Gay Marriage is only a religious/Christian issue. You are 100% right when you said that not everyone who gets married in this country/world is a Christian or believes in the Bible, and this country's laws are not based on or dictated to by Biblical doctrine. Would you agree that our founding fathers had christian views and wrote the CONSTITUTION based on christian principles?
No I would not agree with that, considering the fact that our principal founding fathers were NOT Christians and the Constitution is NOT based on Christian principles. Almost all of the principal Founding Fathers were Deists and/or Universalists and made quite clear their disdain for Christianity in their personal memoirs & letters. Neither Christ, The Bible or any hint of Christianity can be found in any of our founding documents. They used "God" and "Creator" but these are meant in universal terms.

Quote:
That being asked, and as I mentioned earlier that many of the voters in the USA have not passed a gay marriage bill into law when it was on the ballot. Christians are not the only people voting, and we don't make up the majority of voters.
I beg to differ. Christians are the majority voters and control the political arena. I agree tho that it is slowly changing (thank goodness).

Quote:
That being said, since the legalization of marriage is something that the people don't want, then it makes perfectly sense why civil unions are widely accepted. What the people are saying from a secular sense is that a marriage should be between straight couple, and if you are gay or lesbian (religion or the bible being put aside) get a legal civil union. The voters are saying that a gay couple can have a civil union with all of the legal perks that a straight couple has when they get married---just don't call it a marriage. I hope I am making sense because talking to people who aren't religious and who don't go to anybody's church shared that view point with me. To me, it seems as if our society is saying that a marriage is to be soley between a man and woman , and if a gay couple wants to symbolize their commitment, then call their commitment a civil union.
As long as a civil union endows the same sex couple with 100% of the rights and benefits of a married male/female couple, I agree. I don't believe gays really care if their unions are called "marriage" or not. But really, marriage is a term used by most people to refer to a union of two people whether or not religion is involved or no.

Quote:
An std in the animal world seem to be less life threatening for them as it is for humans who have multiple sex partners, and I was trying to note that as as a result of sin, the consequences of fornicating and committing adultery are getting an STD.
Then by that logic I suppose those of us who get cancer, diabetes etc must be MEGA sinners.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:00 PM

660 posts, read 2,441,272 times
yes it is against the bible
god created a man and woman to procreate and marry last time i checked 2 men or 2 women cant make a baby

Old 08-18-2007, 06:47 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
yes it is against the bible
god created a man and woman to procreate and marry last time i checked 2 men or 2 women cant make a baby
Neither can 2 old people, or anyone who's infertile or "fixed"... and many fertile couples get married without the intention of having children. Not to mention, who here has been intimate without trying to get pregnant? I'm certainly guilty of that, LOL. So if that's your only reason against gay marriage, it's a flawed one.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Neither can 2 old people, or anyone who's infertile or "fixed"... and many fertile couples get married without the intention of having children. Not to mention, who here has been intimate without trying to get pregnant? I'm certainly guilty of that, LOL. So if that's your only reason against gay marriage, it's a flawed one.
well the old people had there chance to have children
regardless same sex couples cant have a baby naturally
so you can roll your eyes all you want lol but homosexuality is still a sin

Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
well the old people had there chance to have children
regardless same sex couples cant have a baby naturally
so you can roll your eyes all you want lol but homosexuality is still a sin
What about the other points I made? My uncle has always been infertile, so he & my aunt had to use donor sperm to have their 2 children... ironically, that's exactly how my lesbian friend & her wife had their daughter. Oh, and homosexuality being a sin is your opinion, which not all of us share - so please refrain from stating it like a fact.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What about the other points I made? My uncle has always been infertile, so he & my aunt had to use donor sperm to have their 2 children... ironically, that's exactly how my lesbian friend & her wife had their daughter. Oh, and homosexuality being a sin is your opinion, which not all of us share - so please refrain from stating it like a fact.
good for them
its not my opinion and it is a fact ask any priest reverend or clergy member and they will tell you homosexuality is against gods plan

Old 08-18-2007, 09:39 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,415 times
Quote:
good for them
its not my opinion and it is a fact ask any priest reverend or clergy member and they will tell you homosexuality is against gods plan
Actually it is not a fact any priest reverend or clergy member will tell you homosexuality is against gods plan, but you are surely allowed to make that up.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
good for them
Huh... well that's interesting, since my RABBI is a happily married LESBIAN. But go ahead and believe whatever you want, if it makes you happy.

Oh, and "good for them" doesn't answer the question I asked you...

Old 08-18-2007, 10:23 PM

P.S. We also have tons of gay-friendly churches around here, and even a number of gay priests/ministers... so there are Christian clergy-people who'd disagree with you too.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan417 View Post
I think it is against the bible....I just dont think its right!
There are lots of things I don't think are "right"... but as long as they're not hurting anyone, who cares??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality