Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be GAY and GOD-FEARING at the same time?
Yes 82 52.90%
No 64 41.29%
As long as you say you're sorry in the end, you can do anything you want in the meantime... 5 3.23%
Sadly Undecided 4 2.58%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:17 AM

660 posts, read 2,439,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First of all, you are wrong... the estimated gay population in SF is around 10-11%, which is hardly a majority. Secondly, we don't "twist" anything, and I could say the same about people who reject the gay community. Didn't Jesus say (more or less) to love all of God's children? I don't know about you, but I'd find it less than Christian/Jewish/etc. to shun anyone seeking religion. Honest question - would you support "ejecting" somebody from your church for being openly gay?
i didnt sat i hate gay ppl i just dont agree with your lifestyle
yes it does say that i accept gay ppl i just dont agree with it
big difference

Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,890,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
i didnt sat i hate gay ppl i just dont agree with your lifestyle
yes it does say that i accept gay ppl i just dont agree with it
big difference
I'm not gay, but that doesn't matter. And there are lots of things I don't "agree with" too, but that's life! Anyway, I don't think any of them are asking you to be okay with it... most just want to be left alone, and to live without fear or discrimination. Simple requests, really.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:39 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,932,268 times
Quote:
I'm not gay, but that doesn't matter. And there are lots of things I don't "agree with" too, but that's life! Anyway, I don't think any of them are asking you to be okay with it... most just want to be left alone, and to live without fear or discrimination. Simple requests, really.
Something I never understood is that whole "I don't agree" with being gay.

That's like not agreeing with someone being black or Asian.

It's not a lifestyle or a choice. I don't know why some people insist on that. How do they know? By telling me that being gay is a choice and I (who am gay) say it is not choice, one is insisting that I am mentally challanged or a liar. I am neither of those things -- I am who God made me.

I DO have a lifestyle. I lead an active/bodybuilding lifestyle. Being gay is not a lifestyle. Gay people lead all kinds of different lifestyles so gay in and of itself cannot be a lifestyle.

I don't expect to change anyone's mind (esp on a BB ) but I have to say my piece when I'm being insulted like that.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:50 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,063,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post

It's not a lifestyle or a choice. I don't know why some people insist on that. How do they know? By telling me that being gay is a choice and I (who am gay) say it is not choice, one is insisting that I am mentally challanged or a liar. I am neither of those things -- I am who God made me.

I DO have a lifestyle. I lead an active/bodybuilding lifestyle. Being gay is not a lifestyle. Gay people lead all kinds of different lifestyles so gay in and of itself cannot be a lifestyle.

I don't expect to change anyone's mind (esp on a BB ) but I have to say my piece when I'm being insulted like that.
Amen! .. the rest of this post is to fullfill the charcter requirements of a post..

Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 PM

660 posts, read 2,439,986 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post

first of all its a message board where ppl can voice there opinions whether you agree with what they say or not the world doesnt revolve around you

and being black or asian or whatever isnt the same as being gay you're born whatever nationality youre born as ,ppl choose to be gay

Old 10-16-2007, 02:40 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,063,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
first of all its a message board where ppl can voice there opinions whether you agree with what they say or not the world doesnt revolve around you

and being black or asian or whatever isnt the same as being gay you're born whatever nationality youre born as ,ppl choose to be gay
I didn't realize "black" was a nationality..

Old 10-16-2007, 02:43 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,932,268 times
Quote:
Did you even bother to read my post? I did not, I repeat, did NOT choose to be gay. I'm not mentally disabled, I'm not a liar, I'm not on psychotropic substances. So, what are you calling me? Mentally impaired, a liar, or a drug user?

Old 10-16-2007, 02:55 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,217,869 times
Quote:
First of all, you are wrong... the estimated gay population in SF is around 10-11%, which is hardly a majority. Secondly, we don't "twist" anything, and I could say the same about people who reject the gay community. Didn't Jesus say (more or less) to love all of God's children? I don't know about you, but I'd find it less than Christian/Jewish/etc. to shun anyone seeking religion. Honest question - would you support "ejecting" somebody from your church for being openly gay?
I would support tossing someone out of our church who was non-repentant about being gay. If there was someone who used to be gay, or is gay and is repentant, then I would have no problem with him or her in my church. But (if you believe being gay is a sin, as our church does) if the person is non-repentant then they would be living in sin. We have ejected people from our church for having pre-marital sex (which resulted in a baby), and they continued to live that way. It is not a question of wether or not they're gay, it's a question of if they're living in sin. Jesus did say to love everyone, but he also said sin no more, not go do whatever you want.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:01 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,421,545 times
Arrow Seriously folks...

... let's just be real! All pretense & falsehood, condescension & bickering aside!

Of all of the people who believe that homosexuality (or GLBT) is a sin, unnatural, and/or a choice - only the most minute percentage will ever open their hearts & minds enough to consider that they may be wrong - PERIOD. There is too much religious doctrine wrapped up in this issue for a discussion like this to change anyone's mind - about something so fundamental to a person's established belief system.

And, anyone who is truly GLBT is not going to "CHANGE" because of any conversation here either. I've known young people & even some into their early 20's who are into the whole "lesbian chic" thing or just experimenting in general - I consider that VERY different than someone who is born/predisposed to being GLBT. (but, that's just my opinion)

There really is no reason to continue on & on bickering & being unkind. God don't like no ugly - regardless of who it is from (those of you who think homosexuality is wrong & a choice or those who don't). Jesus was one righteous dude who would have never spoken to or about any person of any persuasion, in the sort of way that I find many who call themselves christians often do.

I hate seeing such negativity. I really do. And, I send this message with the utmost of peace & love & unconditional acceptance - regardless of who you are!

Old 10-16-2007, 11:58 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,890,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I would support tossing someone out of our church who was non-repentant about being gay. If there was someone who used to be gay, or is gay and is repentant, then I would have no problem with him or her in my church. But (if you believe being gay is a sin, as our church does) if the person is non-repentant then they would be living in sin. We have ejected people from our church for having pre-marital sex (which resulted in a baby), and they continued to live that way. It is not a question of wether or not they're gay, it's a question of if they're living in sin. Jesus did say to love everyone, but he also said sin no more, not go do whatever you want.
I think that's really sad... I might not be a Christian, but I doubt Jesus would smile upon ejecting somebody from a church - no matter what their "sins" were. Didn't he hang out with the sinners, in order to comfort and protect/enlighten them? I don't think you should try to change anyone, or judge them so harshly, but at least you'd be opening your heart by accepting them into the church (regardless of whether you wanted them to change). But who gets to decide this stuff anyway? And do you honestly believe yourself to be more "righteous" and good than a law-abiding, kind-hearted gay person? I certainly don't!

I've belonged to synagogues for 31 years now, and have NEVER heard of somebody being kicked out for their personal lives... that just seems ludicrous to me, but I guess our religions have different beliefs on that. Our only requirement is that you're open to Jewish life, and would never worship more than one G-d. Heck, if we started kicking out everyone who'd committed a "sin," the sanctuaries would be empty - even the Rabbi would probably have to leave, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality