Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 08:37 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,416,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
OK, but what religion would Satan want to lure one from? Methodist, Catholic, Baptist, or the First Church of the Bellybutton?
All of them from what I remember.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,496,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I posted this in the thread about the Bible being the Word of God, because it got me thinking about other books that are supposedly the Word of God.

I'm not Mormon, but I was wondering what Non-Mormon Christians think about the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ).

Do you think that Smith was crazy and made it all up?

Was it not the word of God?

If it was, do you believe everything it says, even if you're not a Mormon?

Do you not believe in it because it was written (translated) in the early 1800's and not 2000 years ago or older?

Do you really think Jesus appeared in the America's after his death?

If you don't believe the book, why not?

Do you think now a days, like in Smith's case, God can tell someone to find something buried or directly talk to them to write down new stories for people to read and follow?

I'm just curious to see what people's thoughts are.
I applied the bold underline to the quesiton I am addressing.

Don't ask me the source of my answer, but I heard a story a long time ago about Jesus appearing in what is now known as the America's long before any Europeans appeared. The version I heard is that this man Jesus appeared and sat on a rock and spoke to the Indian people.

I do not know what tribe, or what was said. Sorry. I heard of this a long time ago. Anyone else heard of this?

Just curious on another note; Why is the OP's question addressed to Non-mormon christians and not just non-Mormons in general?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:41 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,520,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
All of them from what I remember.
Well, there is a problem with that, Miborn, because none of those religions existed at the time the Bible was written. There were Christians of Christ's Church, which was administered by duly appointed Apostles, and there were Jews and the rest. So, if none of those religions existed at the time of the Bible, the Bible wasn't talking about them.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:07 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,416,447 times
Quote:
Well, there is a problem with that, Miborn, because none of those religions existed at the time the Bible was written. There were Christians of Christ's Church, which was administered by duly appointed Apostles, and there were Jews and the rest. So, if none of those religions existed at the time of the Bible, the Bible wasn't talking about them.
So the Baptists cannot be worried about an anti-Christ?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:15 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I posted this in the thread about the Bible being the Word of God, because it got me thinking about other books that are supposedly the Word of God.

I'm not Mormon, but I was wondering what Non-Mormon Christians think about the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ).

Do you think that Smith was crazy and made it all up?

Was it not the word of God?

If it was, do you believe everything it says, even if you're not a Mormon?

Do you not believe in it because it was written (translated) in the early 1800's and not 2000 years ago or older?

Do you really think Jesus appeared in the America's after his death?

If you don't believe the book, why not?

Do you think now a days, like in Smith's case, God can tell someone to find something buried or directly talk to them to write down new stories for people to read and follow?

I'm just curious to see what people's thoughts are.
i always go to the encyclopedia when i come in contact with a new religion.or my own for that matter.
i feel they are pretty fair. but i must say they beat up on mormans pretty good.
stephen s
san diego, ca
ps personal spin the military loves mormans.
disciplined obediant high achievers
i always liked them for these features but of course i like germans too for
the same reasons so i may not be your best opinion.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,520,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
So the Baptists cannot be worried about an anti-Christ?
No, I didn't say that. I asked you what Church Satan would be trying to lure people from. You said all of those I listed. I said they didn't exist at the time of the Bible; therefore, the Bible was not talking about them when it warns members of the Church that Satan will try to lure them away. Continuing, if the Bible was not talking about those churches, then it must had another Church in mind. Finally, the Baptists might be worried about the anti-Christ, but the Bible was not warning the Baptist Church.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,615,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i always go to the encyclopedia when i come in contact with a new religion.or my own for that matter.
i feel they are pretty fair. but i must say they beat up on mormans pretty good.
stephen s
san diego, ca
ps personal spin the military loves mormans.
disciplined obediant high achievers
i always liked them for these features but of course i like germans too for
the same reasons so i may not be your best opinion.
stephen s
san diego ca
Okay, this is especially interesting to me because I just heard the same thing from an Army recruiter in the LA airport about a week ago. His (obnoxious, no matter what your beliefs) claim was, "They're perfect soldiers because they've been taught to believe anything without questioning, and they come ready to fear the consequences of their actions. It takes time to force that into most people." He went on, but there's no sense in repeating the rest of his theories. I only bring this up because of the previous post.

Stephen- Are you in the military? If so, what branch? I'm curious if this is limited to the Army or if you've heard the same from another?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:39 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,721,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Okay, this is especially interesting to me because I just heard the same thing from an Army recruiter in the LA airport about a week ago. His (obnoxious, no matter what your beliefs) claim was, "They're perfect soldiers because they've been taught to believe anything without questioning, and they come ready to fear the consequences of their actions. It takes time to force that into most people." He went on, but there's no sense in repeating the rest of his theories. I only bring this up because of the previous post.

Stephen- Are you in the military? If so, what branch? I'm curious if this is limited to the Army or if you've heard the same from another?
Let me get this straight – you met with an army recruiter in LA, and of all the questions you could ask, you had to focus on what kind of soldiers Mormons make? That seems a bit obsessive to me.

Next, the recruiter had the gumption to admit to you that they try to recruit Mormons because, paraphrasing, they are like sheep and blindly obey. I find that hard to believe that a recruiter would respond so unprofessionally in those words, but if you say so. Is there any of your interpretation and spin sneaking in there?

Lastly, I’ve worked in Government and defense-related fields for several years now. There are quite a few Mormons in these fields, and I’ll give you my own spin as to why. Mormons are generally conservative and believe in civic duty, and are thus willing to serve. Furthermore, there are fewer security clearance denials among Mormons because of lower drinking, drug abuse, and lifestyle issues. Lastly, a fair number of Mormons have served missions overseas, and have gained valuable language skills that our government desires.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 AM

329 posts, read 1,097,414 times
Quote:
No, I didn't say that. I asked you what Church Satan would be trying to lure people from. You said all of those I listed. I said they didn't exist at the time of the Bible; therefore, the Bible was not talking about them when it warns members of the Church that Satan will try to lure them away. Continuing, if the Bible was not talking about those churches, then it must had another Church in mind. Finally, the Baptists might be worried about the anti-Christ, but the Bible was not warning the Baptist Church.
Just a thought.... as obviously I'm not a Bible scholar... but...

What makes you think "the church The Bible was warning that Satan will try and lure people away from" was ONE CHURCH? Couldn't it have "possibly" been a foresight warning that was a very specific warning about non specific churches?

I mean for goodness sake... if the WARNING was made about something that would happen in the FUTURE... what is so far-fetched about the warning PERTAINING to "CHURCHES" that existed in the future?

Old 09-06-2007, 11:17 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,615,592 times
Default Are you kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Let me get this straight – you met with an army recruiter in LA, and of all the questions you could ask, you had to focus on what kind of soldiers Mormons make? That seems a bit obsessive to me.

Next, the recruiter had the gumption to admit to you that they try to recruit Mormons because, paraphrasing, they are like sheep and blindly obey. I find that hard to believe that a recruiter would respond so unprofessionally in those words, but if you say so. Is there any of your interpretation and spin sneaking in there?

Lastly, a fair number of Mormons have served missions overseas, and have gained valuable language skills that our government desires.
Let's take a breath here and take this point by point. Did I ever, at ANY point, say I "met with an Army recruiter and ASKED him about Mormon soldiers"?? No, I certainly did not. I happened to be sitting by him in the terminal. He said hello, I mentioned my nephew who is bravely serving in the Army, and we got to talking. We talked about how recruiting changes during wartime. That led to where he works and who he felt made the "best" soldiers. You think I wasn't surprised at his remarks? I was stunned. This guy was a piece of work. As I said in my last post, he made other remarks I chose not to include. I only mentioned this one after reading Stephen's comments.

Are we clear now? We won't learn anything from each other by putting words into each other's mouths or making these sarcastic remarks without basis.

Last edited by akm4; 09-06-2007 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: removed part of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.