Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 08:45 AM

285 posts, read 535,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
the voice of the Father was heard from Heaven, and the Holy Ghost was seen descending as a dove.
so a booming voice from god ?

Can you show evidence for this event, outside the bible.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:49 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
so a booming voice from god ?

Can you show evidence for this event, outside the bible.
Why do you need evidence for it if your experience has provided the evidence for believing in the Bible anyways.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:07 PM

285 posts, read 535,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Why do you need evidence for it if your experience has provided the evidence for believing in the Bible anyways.
Are you kidding me ?

The mormons have experience which they say proves they are right, the muslims have experience they say proves them right, the scientologist have experience which says they are right.

Yet each them also says GOD TOLD them the other guys are wrong.

And the evidence, the lack of evidence and reality show that the bible is full of $@#*(^

Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 4,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
^ I don't think the question was ever about becoming like God--we are already like God as we are created in his image. I think the best context of the passage of becoming perfect like God is much more likely to mean: be perfect in love and so in obedience. When Mormon's suggest they will become like God, they seem to take it a bit farther than this. I've read in multiple places that mormons believe they will become gods in heaven even capable of having children who will worship them--is this right or not?
Sometimes comments are made to twist or distort or put a negative spin on LDS teachings, and distract from the simple doctrines. We do believe that those who become like God will continue to have children after this life. Anyone who has the desire to have children that would worship them, in this life, or the next, totally misunderstands the principle. The correct view is to desire to have children, to bless them, to assist them to grow and to develop, and to help them to obtain happiness to the fullest extent possible, both in this world, and the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Thanks for this quote. You have quite clearly described the difference between LDS and Christianity (though you may not be aware of it)
I do understand that this is a distinction between LDS and many Christians. I have also read and discussed the scriptures you have listed many times. I have read the bible, and although such brief quotes may seem support your view, I don't believe that they are correct when taken in context of the entire bible. I do not however wish to belittle your beliefs, or engage in a debate about the validity of either point of view. I only hope I could show that our beliefs are founded in scripture, and to share a 'Mormons' point of view.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 AM

545 posts, read 2,043,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I posted this in the thread about the Bible being the Word of God, because it got me thinking about other books that are supposedly the Word of God.

I'm not Mormon, but I was wondering what Non-Mormon Christians think about the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ).

Do you think that Smith was crazy and made it all up?

Was it not the word of God?

If it was, do you believe everything it says, even if you're not a Mormon?

Do you not believe in it because it was written (translated) in the early 1800's and not 2000 years ago or older?

Do you really think Jesus appeared in the America's after his death?

If you don't believe the book, why not?

Do you think now a days, like in Smith's case, God can tell someone to find something buried or directly talk to them to write down new stories for people to read and follow?

I'm just curious to see what people's thoughts are.
REPLY: DNA has conclusively proven the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith a complete fraud. See the video : DNA and the Mormon Faith. While Mormons are some of the most moral people to which i respect them for, there is not another religious group that claims to be Christian , yet perverts the person of God, Jesus, how to be saved from sins, and eternity.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Well again, I’m not equating Joseph Smith with Jesus Christ, but he was assassinated by a mob while in jail for his preaching. Hardly anything most people would strive for either.

Simply not true. Joseph Smith was in jail (in Carthage, Illinois) because he and his senior associates had been charged with ordering the destruction of a printing press (in Nauvoo, Illinois, where Smith was founder and mayor of the town) that had been used by local Mormon dissidents to publish a newspaper critical of Smith's leadership.

I personally believe the BOM is a fraudulent document (that is, the document's content is not factually true nor truthfully presented, and the author(s) and "translator(s") know this to be the case). It is also written in a style that comes across as a poorly done imitation of English verbiage as found in the King James Version of the Bible. The word I prefer to use about the content of the BOM is 'hokey'.

Happy reading!
Joseph Smith and Mormonism

Last edited by ParkTwain; 04-08-2008 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Maybe someone wrote about this allready but have any of those within this forum taken the time to pray about the Book of Mormon and ask if it is true? Some posters stated that they didn't believe that it was true, but had studied information from other sources. Why not go to the source? My thoughts are that within the Christian community you really only have two choices, Catholisism and Mormonism. All others broke away from one or the other. Find me a church that doesn't have its origin from Catholisism and you would be looking at the Mormon Church. saying that a church is not the true church and making up your own doesn't solve the problem. Who would have given you the authority to do that? Christianity belongs to Jesus Christ. A man can not take it away from him and start a church and claim to have the authority from Jesus without Jesus giving them that authority, meaning that they would have had to meet him. Joseph Smith is claiming that infact that is what happened to him. All that members of the church ask are that others pray about it and find out forthemselves if it is true. Read the Book of Mormon and ask with a sincere heart if it is true. Either that or head back to the Catholic church.

Just had to add, because another poster mentioned this sometime ago that they were making their 666 post in the religion forum. I am doing the same and think that it would be a good tradition for others to do. LOL

Old 04-08-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My thoughts are that within the Christian community you really only have two choices, Catholisism and Mormonism. All others broke away from one or the other. Find me a church that doesn't have its origin from Catholisism and you would be looking at the Mormon Church. saying that a church is not the true church and making up your own doesn't solve the problem.

Your assertion is not historically true. Read more about the many, many branches of Christianity that originated in the Middle East, some of which still exist today, granted with relatively small numbers of adherents.

You're already on the Internet. Use it to learn what you don't know about!
History of Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Your assertion is not historically true. Read more about the many, many branches of Christianity that originated in the Middle East, some of which still exist today, granted with relatively small numbers of adherents.

You're already on the Internet. Use it to learn what you don't know about!
History of Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Your using Wikipedia as a source and your OK with that? The reason that you can find pockets of Christianity in the Middle East and other areas is because Jesus visited those areas after he was resurected. He had to see his other sheep that he spoke about in the Bible, including those in the American continent. Also before Jesus was born on the earth many were trying to live the higher law that was fortold would come. At the time everyone lived the law of Moses, knowing that when the Savior was born that a higher law would be introduced. Many of the people that you are talking about lived that law.

Within main stream religion, Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Ect, Ect, Ect, they broke away from the Catholic Church or another church that broke away from the Catholic Church. Look at the Baptist church all by itself, their are so many different versions of that church. Are only Southern Baptist going to Heaven?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 PM

You seem to have learned about Christianity from Jack Chick tracts. That's not an insult, just an honest impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality