Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Well, I was attempting read through this entire, seemingly eternal, thread untill I came accross this post which made me think..."who in the world would have done such a thing." I'm not saying it was a so called "Christian" but as we all know it's higly likely given the fact that so called Christians really use to do stuff like this.

With that being said I'll give my opinion on the Mormon church, and I have to admit I've found nothing here that holds much weight against the Mormons. If there was anything I've read so far that does it would be the little looking stone that someone said Joseph Smith used in seeing the writings on the tablets. Other than that there is the lack of proof of the civilizations here in the America's that's spoken of.

All I know for sure is this: I've fellowshipped with many Mormons and they are Holy people who are disciples of Christ, and that says it all for me. Sure, I know Christ is God but he didn't go around parading as God and in fact he tried to conceal his identity most of the time. He called himself the Son of Man and the Son of God so if someone says He was the Son of God, that is enough. That's who he said he was.

The teachings of Christ clearly warn us to live Holy lives and in fact he said there will be MANY so called believers who he says, "depart from me, you who practice lawlessness." I would not want to be one of those. Yikes.

Besides, you'll know a tree by it's fruit. All you have to do is go to a Mormon forum, and then go to a regular Christian forum and that's a pretty good analogy in my opinion.

Be Blessed,
Yahuchannon
FYI, Joe Smith wasn't assinated in juil for his preaching; he was in jail for ordering the destruction of the printing presses of the Nauvoo Expositer, after they printed some less than flattering allegations of his behavior with young girls.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
FYI, Joe Smith wasn't assinated in juil for his preaching; he was in jail for ordering the destruction of the printing presses of the Nauvoo Expositer, after they printed some less than flattering allegations of his behavior with young girls.
It's also very interesting that you didn't say he was proven to be guilty of this crime. It's no surprise to me really. Any disciple of Christ could be, and highly likely to be accused of things like that, especially since there is the "accuser" of the brethren. What you said really makes me believe the Book of Mormon even more so.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:23 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
It's also very interesting that you didn't say he was proven to be guilty of this crime. It's no surprise to me really. Any disciple of Christ could be, and highly likely to be accused of things like that, especially since there is the "accuser" of the brethren. What you said really makes me believe the Book of Mormon even more so.
well, technically he was married to all those girls... I guess that absolves him, huh.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
It's also very interesting that you didn't say he was proven to be guilty of this crime.
It's also worth noting that regardless of why Joseph was in jail, he had been promised protection there until he was brought to trial. Sometime after 5:00 P.M. on June 27, a mob of between 100 and 200 men, faces painted black with mud and gunpowder, stormed the upstairs room of the jail where Joseph, his brother and one other man were being held. Four shots from one or more pistols (two to the back, two to the chest) killed him. Several more were fired into his lifeless body. Every single, solitary man in the mob, including the actual killer or killers got off scot free.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
Personally, I do think that Jesus appeared in North America, but then again I belive he has appeared all over the world at different times to different people. Mormons are christians it is just another branch of the tree. Not every path to God is going to be the same, nor would anyone church would work for everyperson(maybe that is why God inspired so many different branches) All I know is that we all need to be kind, loving, and undestanding to all of our brothers and sissters no matter what they belive or dont belive it makes life so much easier and happier for all.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Personally, I do think that Jesus appeared in North America, but then again I belive he has appeared all over the world at different times to different people.
I heard a theory that Jesus actually escaped from the Romans and spent the rest of his life on the run, trying to avoid being captured their agents.

That's why people all over the world claimed to have seen.

Kind of like Elvis.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:19 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
hiker,

This is really bad all I could piture is an Elvis look like in a bedazzzled robe, running around ancient Isreal trying not to look out of place. Your post made me laugh after a long day with the kids.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I posted this in the thread about the Bible being the Word of God, because it got me thinking about other books that are supposedly the Word of God.

I'm not Mormon, but I was wondering what Non-Mormon Christians think about the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ).

Do you think that Smith was crazy and made it all up?

Was it not the word of God?

If it was, do you believe everything it says, even if you're not a Mormon?

Do you not believe in it because it was written (translated) in the early 1800's and not 2000 years ago or older?

Do you really think Jesus appeared in the America's after his death?

If you don't believe the book, why not?

Do you think now a days, like in Smith's case, God can tell someone to find something buried or directly talk to them to write down new stories for people to read and follow?

I'm just curious to see what people's thoughts are.
I read the thing over fifty years ago before I was twenty years old. It's a poor proselitization(sic) of the old testament though what might someone expect from a convicted scam artist?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:01 AM

142 posts, read 186,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Galatians 1:8-9

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

That, in a nutshell, explains why I don't believe the Book of Mormon to be God inspired.
i haven't gotten past this entry in this thread yet, but this entry in a nutshell, just strikes me as common denominator christian group-think stuff.

you don't believe any other gospel but your own is god inspired, because the religion you believe in has a book that tells you what to believe and think, and what not to believe and think. and this book says no other book, no other gospel, no other prophet, no other godman, no other christed one but it's own.....is authentic.

okay that was really.....illuminating for me.

incidentally, what does it mean if the gospel i believe in, has a book that says the same thing? what makes your book sanctioned by god and not mine? christianity is limited and distorted in it's doctrines and teachings, and not the word of god. i believe this to be true because my book tells me it is so, and you'll all be back to live the drudgery of another life as one of the walking dead. well, i'll pray for your soul to evolve more quickly, what, can't you feel my love for you now?

the op asked specifically....what do YOU think? not....what have you been taught to think?

i have only recently been exposed to some of the mormon teachings, here at this site, thanks to a mormom member that felt inspired to share, what is so obviously dear to her heart and soul. it is a beautifully written thread, asmuchso for the demonstration of mormon teachings she so lovingly offered and displayed without hint of artifice, as for the intellectual explanations and descriptions of her faith.

what strikes me as deeply moving and *word* is what every religion, every faith, every denomination, every spiritual book, every gospel....has IN COMMON. *there* is where truth is found, that to me, is god's word. the rest of the differences.......in person, place, time, circumstance, legend, myth, story....are trivial matters and not worth the amount of effort people undertake to defend what they have been taught to believe. this strident self discipline to fashion oneself in some ideal image that lives up to the pinnacle of one's own belief system that requires the total and utter rejection of all others.......total annihilation in some cases.....well i dunno. it's just so sooo missing it, imo.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:28 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabar View Post
i haven't gotten past this entry in this thread yet, but this entry in a nutshell, just strikes me as common denominator christian group-think stuff.

you don't believe any other gospel but your own is god inspired, because the religion you believe in has a book that tells you what to believe and think, and what not to believe and think. and this book says no other book, no other gospel, no other prophet, no other godman, no other christed one but it's own.....is authentic.

okay that was really.....illuminating for me.

incidentally, what does it mean if the gospel i believe in, has a book that says the same thing? what makes your book sanctioned by god and not mine? christianity is limited and distorted in it's doctrines and teachings, and not the word of god. i believe this to be true because my book tells me it is so, and you'll all be back to live the drudgery of another life as one of the walking dead. well, i'll pray for your soul to evolve more quickly, what, can't you feel my love for you now?

the op asked specifically....what do YOU think? not....what have you been taught to think?

i have only recently been exposed to some of the mormon teachings, here at this site, thanks to a mormom member that felt inspired to share, what is so obviously dear to her heart and soul. it is a beautifully written thread, asmuchso for the demonstration of mormon teachings she so lovingly offered and displayed without hint of artifice, as for the intellectual explanations and descriptions of her faith.

what strikes me as deeply moving and *word* is what every religion, every faith, every denomination, every spiritual book, every gospel....has IN COMMON. *there* is where truth is found, that to me, is god's word. the rest of the differences.......in person, place, time, circumstance, legend, myth, story....are trivial matters and not worth the amount of effort people undertake to defend what they have been taught to believe. this strident self discipline to fashion oneself in some ideal image that lives up to the pinnacle of one's own belief system that requires the total and utter rejection of all others.......total annihilation in some cases.....well i dunno. it's just so sooo missing it, imo.
You hit it directly...all that malarky is the word of man, not of a god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality