U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill Metroplex
302 posts, read 544,069 times
Reputation: 235

Advertisements

I posted this in the thread about the Bible being the Word of God, because it got me thinking about other books that are supposedly the Word of God.

I'm not Mormon, but I was wondering what Non-Mormon Christians think about the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ).

Do you think that Smith was crazy and made it all up?

Was it not the word of God?

If it was, do you believe everything it says, even if you're not a Mormon?

Do you not believe in it because it was written (translated) in the early 1800's and not 2000 years ago or older?

Do you really think Jesus appeared in the America's after his death?

If you don't believe the book, why not?

Do you think now a days, like in Smith's case, God can tell someone to find something buried or directly talk to them to write down new stories for people to read and follow?

I'm just curious to see what people's thoughts are.

 
Old 08-06-2007, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
3,490 posts, read 329,669 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I posted this in the thread about the Bible being the Word of God, because it got me thinking about other books that are supposedly the Word of God.

I'm not Mormon, but I was wondering what Non-Mormon Christians think about the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ).

Do you think that Smith was crazy and made it all up?
I tend to think he was nuts or it was a deliberate and elaborate hoax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Was it not the word of God?
IMO, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If it was, do you believe everything it says, even if you're not a Mormon?
It has some good truths, the same ones that are already in the Bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Do you not believe in it because it was written (translated) in the early 1800's and not 2000 years ago or older?
This is where it to me becomes apparant that it's a hoax, or the writings of a crazy person. When I read the BOM a bunch of questions pop out, like...does God only speak in King Jameth? The BOM is written in that style even though it came out in the 1800's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Do you really think Jesus appeared in the America's after his death?
No, another huge point. No proof of this other than the BOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If you don't believe the book, why not?
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Do you think now a days, like in Smith's case, God can tell someone to find something buried or directly talk to them to write down new stories for people to read and follow?
Possible, not probable.

None of this is to flame Mormons, who by and large I beleive to be decent, good, God-fearing people. But I don't believe the BOM to be inspired by God.
 
Old 08-06-2007, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Plano, Texas
8,640 posts, read 14,688,492 times
Reputation: 21135
Default Book of Mormon

I would agree with Jeff here. As he said, not to be inflammatory, but if the Book of Mormon is not a hoax, then I believe the revelation to be possibly demonic in origin.

In answer to some of your other questions, yes I think God can certainly still give revelation today but not such that has the weight of the Bible and not such that can change basic doctrine.

I believe Galations 1:8,9 addresses this:

"But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed." NASB (I think the doctrine of mormonism is tantamount to a "contrary gospel.")

Last edited by kaykay; 08-06-2007 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: add scripture reference
 
Old 08-06-2007, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Northern California
1,587 posts, read 2,722,623 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I would agree with Jeff here. As he said, not to be inflammatory, but if the Book of Mormon is not a hoax, then I believe the revelation to be possibly demonic in origin.

..
I also believe it to possibly be demonic in origin.
 
Old 08-06-2007, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
3,490 posts, read 329,669 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I also believe it to possibly be demonic in origin.
Ooh, guys, this is gonna get us in trouble with our Mormon friends on here.

I tend to think it was a hoax, but that it could have been demonic in origin. I really hate to say these things though because I know how much it will anger and infuriate Mormons, who again, I believe to be generally good people.

Here's another head scratcher--IF the LDS belief system is demonically inspired, does that mean they are all going to hell? I have known many Christians who state emphatically that Mormons (unknowingly) actually believe in a different God and a different Jesus and the whole belief system is sending all who follow it to hell. You all know my beliefs on that, but to believe as you do, do you believe that all Mormons are actually not Christians?
 
Old 08-06-2007, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Indiana
1,250 posts, read 2,357,951 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I posted this in the thread about the Bible being the Word of God, because it got me thinking about other books that are supposedly the Word of God.

I'm not Mormon, but I was wondering what Non-Mormon Christians think about the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ).

Do you think that Smith was crazy and made it all up?

Was it not the word of God?

If it was, do you believe everything it says, even if you're not a Mormon?

Do you not believe in it because it was written (translated) in the early 1800's and not 2000 years ago or older?

Do you really think Jesus appeared in the America's after his death?

If you don't believe the book, why not?

Do you think now a days, like in Smith's case, God can tell someone to find something buried or directly talk to them to write down new stories for people to read and follow?

I'm just curious to see what people's thoughts are.
Wow, there are a lot of questions on this one! Let me preface this by saying that while I am not Mormon, I do have the utmost respect for them. I have lived in Utah for many years and the majority of my friends are Mormon. So, while my viewpoints may disagree with theirs, I am by no means "Mormon Bashing".

That being said, no I do not believe the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I don't think Joseph Smith was crazy when he wrote it, but I don't believe it was God-inspired.

Mainstream Christianity does not teach that Jesus came to the America's after his death. I know that the LDS will disagree with me, but I have not heard of any sources who have been able to find evidence that supports the existance of the civilizations mentioned in the Book of Mormon.

Can God speak directly to people nowdays? Definately! Will he speak to one person and tell them that they now have the "one true church" and that all other Christianity has been following a lie? No, I don't believe so.
 
Old 08-06-2007, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Plano, Texas
8,640 posts, read 14,688,492 times
Reputation: 21135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Ooh, guys, this is gonna get us in trouble with our Mormon friends on here.

I tend to think it was a hoax, but that it could have been demonic in origin. I really hate to say these things though because I know how much it will anger and infuriate Mormons, who again, I believe to be generally good people.

Here's another head scratcher--IF the LDS belief system is demonically inspired, does that mean they are all going to hell? I have known many Christians who state emphatically that Mormons (unknowingly) actually believe in a different God and a different Jesus and the whole belief system is sending all who follow it to hell. You all know my beliefs on that, but to believe as you do, do you believe that all Mormons are actually not Christians?
Like you say, we're gonna be in trouble here, but... about mormons going to hell, the jury is still out on that in my mind. I don't know. I certainly think we can be deceived on
certain theological issues and still have salvation. In a sense, they do believe in Jesus Christ but the doctrine is in my mind so works-oriented and convoluted, I just don't know what I think about that. I hope so. I have shared before on here that my favorite professor in college was mormon. ( Tragically, he and his wife and 2 of their children were killed in an auto accident on the way home from the airport one day.) As has been stated, mormons are generally very dear people.

Jeff, regarding that, you might check out what Mark Champneys has to say about that issue on his website Exmormon.net He is an ex-mormon who seemingly has no axe to grind. Just a heart of love and compassion for the mormon people.

Last edited by kaykay; 08-06-2007 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: add website
 
Old 08-06-2007, 04:21 PM
 
1,125 posts, read 2,440,050 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I also believe it to possibly be demonic in origin.
I'm curious. Why would a demon, what to glorify Christ? Wouldn’t a demon want to glorify Satan? Wouldn’t, a demonic book want to lead people away from Christ as a Savior so people would not find salvation in Him? Next, assuming it is a hoax, what harm has it done? It does not ask people to follow anyone but Christ.

Finally, of those who have posted here, who has actually read the Book of Mormon all the way through? I don’t follow the Qu’ran, but I have read it all the way through. It seems very apparent to me that it is in fact Old Testament writings.
 
Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Plano, Texas
8,640 posts, read 14,688,492 times
Reputation: 21135
I will admit I have not read the Book of Mormon, nor do I intend to, but I have studied from numerous sources the doctrine that the mormon church teaches. I do not feel that the mormon churches glorifies Christ but rather leads people away from the true gospel of Christ.
 
Old 08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
3,490 posts, read 329,669 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I'm curious. Why would a demon, what to glorify Christ? Wouldn’t a demon want to glorify Satan? Wouldn’t, a demonic book want to lead people away from Christ as a Savior so people would not find salvation in Him? Next, assuming it is a hoax, what harm has it done? It does not ask people to follow anyone but Christ.
Well, if it were leading folks to follow Christ without extra rules and regs I think that would be one thing, but it gives additional conditions and terms that fall outside of traditional Christianity. IMO, Mormons will go to heaven, as God will judge the purity of the heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Finally, of those who have posted here, who has actually read the Book of Mormon all the way through? I don’t follow the Qu’ran, but I have read it all the way through. It seems very apparent to me that it is in fact Old Testament writings.
Well I have read MOST of the BOM, years ago. Honestly, I haven't read it cover to cover, but I would say about 70-80% of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:23 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top