Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,294 times

Advertisements

Because of the great differences in our ways of thinking, it is inevitable that we have different religions and faiths. Each has its own beauty. And it is much better that we live together on the basis of mutual respect and mutual admiration.-His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
As I distanced myself from the faith/religion I grew up with and embraced as truth, I have found something to be true: Across the board, religious and non-religious views of the world all have aspects within them to admire and respect, and also aspects that I cannot admire or respect. Interestingly, I also found that those things which I do NOT respect/admire are equally present in the faith I held and other world views, just under different guises.

So, I agree that it is good to admire and respect the aspects of all views that are worthy of being admired and respected. As for the things which I do not respect and admire, I am learning to have compassion for even those things, as they serve a purpose for those who hold to them.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
My daughter is very young and already demonstrates a different personality from me. What choice do I have but to respect our differences? If I can respect differences just within my family, what is stopping me from respecting differences outside of the family?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Well-spoken (uh, written), all! Christ, Buddha, Allah, all of the Hindu aspects of The One, etc., would agree!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Well-spoken (uh, written), all! Christ, Buddha, Allah, all of the Hindu aspects of The One, etc., would concur! After all, it is more than possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

To think, believe, or behave otherwise is, in my personal opinion, prima facie evidence of ignorance and narrow-mindedness. But that's only my two-hundredths of a dollar, y'all.

-- Nighteyes

Old 06-13-2011, 04:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Because of the great differences in our ways of thinking, it is inevitable that we have different religions and faiths. Each has its own beauty. And it is much better that we live together on the basis of mutual respect and mutual admiration.-His Holiness the Dalai Lama
It is a sweet sentiment but unfortunately naive. When you have violent religions such as islam you will never have a peaceful co-existence. Other religions are rabidly trying to convert poorer nations, others are stealing from their flock, still others are molesting children. Are we really going to sit back and ignore these things so we can live peacefully?

What we should be saying is religion has a negative and detrimental effect on the human brain and needs to be relegated to the privacy of our homes only, no public displays allowed, no proselytizing, no knocking on doors, no prayers in public, no billboards, no picketing fallen soldiers graves...nothing.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:20 PM

222 posts, read 473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
What we should be saying is religion has a negative and detrimental effect on the human brain and needs to be relegated to the privacy of our homes only, no public displays allowed, no proselytizing, no knocking on doors, no prayers in public, no billboards, no picketing fallen soldiers graves...nothing.
Yeah but people have got to have the right to practice whatever they want - it's freedom of speech and expression.

What they can't do is make other people do or say what they want under threat - implied or otherwise.

The US needs to become a secular nation in order to preserve itself from religious nuts of all faiths - a tricky one

Old 06-13-2011, 04:23 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Guy View Post
Yeah but people have got to have the right to practice whatever they want - it's freedom of speech and expression.

What they can't do is make other people do or say what they want under threat - implied or otherwise.

The US needs to become a secular nation in order to preserve itself from religious nuts of all faiths - a tricky one
I agree.

The Constitution protects some pretty bad stuff but that's price you pay for freedom of speech.

A move towards total secularisation would be the best alternative.

I also believe a less tolerant position towards religion would help. Let's call a spade a spade for example and stop pussyfooting around religion because it's not politically correct to call them out on their bad behaviour.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
I agree.

The Constitution protects some pretty bad stuff but that's price you pay for freedom of speech.

A move towards total secularisation would be the best alternative.

I also believe a less tolerant position towards religion would help. Let's call a spade a spade for example and stop pussyfooting around religion because it's not politically correct to call them out on their bad behaviour.
Are you living in a cave ? Religion in general, Christianity and Islam especially, are called out day in, day out. Not just for their bad behavior, but also for their beliefs.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:09 AM

659 posts, read 1,102,022 times
Quote:
It is a sweet sentiment but unfortunately naive. When you have violent religions such as islam you will never have a peaceful co-existence. Other religions are rabidly trying to convert poorer nations, others are stealing from their flock, still others are molesting children. Are we really going to sit back and ignore these things so we can live peacefully?

Get real. Humans are humans; if we didn't have religion to kill and discriminate against each other over, we'd find something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality