Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:21 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,081 times

Advertisements

I know that alot of people keep saying that there is no sin greater than another in the eyes of God. But don't you think that when it comes to child abuse/molestation, that it's possible He dislikes this one more? It certainly seems to anger and disgust most people beyond what the average sin would, and rightly so. Wouldn't God feel the same, if only because of the damage done to an innocent?

Last edited by jeffncandace; 08-07-2007 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 12:25 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I know that alot of people keep saying that there is no sin greater than another in the eyes of God. But don't you think that when it comes to child abuse/molestation, that it's possible He dislikes this one more? It certainly seems to anger and disgust most people beyond what the average sin would, and rightly so. Wouldn't God feel the same, if only because of the damage done to an innocent?
I don't know, Jeff. I think it is pretty clear all through scripture that God really seems to dislike someone taking advantage of the weak. (I think children fall in the category. I think widows and the poor often fall in this category too.)

Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I don't know, Jeff. I think it is pretty clear all through scripture that God really seems to dislike someone taking advantage of the weak. (I think children fall in the category. I think widows and the poor often fall in this category too.)
Hmmmm...I see what you are saying. So really we just have our guts on it...well, my gut says it is especially bad in His sight. IMO of course.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Hmmmm...I see what you are saying. So really we just have our guts on it...well, my gut says it is especially bad in His sight. IMO of course.
Of course, the scripture that was previously quoted about the millstone and causing little ones to stumble is pretty strong, is it not?

Of course, there is only one sin the scripture calls "unpardonable" and we have discussed that on this and other threads. I think the general consensus on that was that that entailed "the deliberate and knowing refusal to acknowledge the power and authority of Jesus as being divinely inspired."

But is "unpardonable" synonymous with the OP word of "repulsive?" Probably abuse of children, sexually and otherwise is the most repulsive ... at least from a human standpoint I think.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:59 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,369 times
Quote:
All sins are repulsive,but the unpardonable sin of rejecting God and His Son Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is the worst.

If we repent to the Lord and say we are sorry for molesting or abusing that child and have a true change of heart,then we can be forgiven by the Lord.

But if our heart has harden and continue in our sins,then we have turned away from God and this is the worst sin. God hates sin. God hates rejection.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,308,861 times
Murder. I'd rather live with someone that is prideful than someone that is a murder. Mabye that's just me.

You can get away from someone that steals, or is prideful, or is gluttonous. (Is that a word?) But you can't if they kill you.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Thumbs down Here I go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
All sins are repulsive,but the unpardonable sin of rejecting God and His Son Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is the worst.

If we repent to the Lord and say we are sorry for molesting or abusing that child and have a true change of heart,then we can be forgiven by the Lord.

But if our heart has harden and continue in our sins,then we have turned away from God and this is the worst sin. God hates sin. God hates rejection.
I don't see it the same way...and let me start by saying that this is MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS AND OPINION...not God's or the Bible's.

But to me, rejecting God and Jesus, while bad, come more out of a lack of understanding than anything. But child molestation is a deliberate, sick act that harms an innocent child. I simply can't equate the 2 as being equal in my mind. Yes yes, I know that to God sin is sin is sin. But an athiest simply has a logical mind and refuses to have faith in Something they can't see. A child molester knows and sees what they are doing.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Of course, the scripture that was previously quoted about the millstone and causing little ones to stumble is pretty strong, is it not?

Of course, there is only one sin the scripture calls "unpardonable" and we have discussed that on this and other threads. I think the general consensus on that was that that entailed "the deliberate and knowing refusal to acknowledge the power and authority of Jesus as being divinely inspired."

But is "unpardonable" synonymous with the OP word of "repulsive?" Probably abuse of children, sexually and otherwise is the most repulsive ... at least from a human standpoint I think.
I think there are different types of punishments...the Bible refers judgement day being better for such and such as opposed to so and so...so I'll cling to my hope that it's a pretty bad one for child molestors.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post

Yes I agree with you, in God's eyes ALL sin is repulsive and rejecting Jesus is the worst. God is Holy He cannot look at sin, even what we call the "small" ones.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Since we are all sinners, then that seems to mean that you think that everything we do is repulsive to God. Does that include sitting at a computer when we could be out doing good deeds for others?
No, hardly. We're sinners, yes, but everything we do is not a sin just because we're sinners. Is putting on a shirt a sin? No. However, stealing or swearing, using drugs or breaking the law, is all detestable in the eyes of God. No sin greater than the next...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality