Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Of course they did. And, equally, really DON'T care...beyond it presents an opportunity to bash the South under the guise of asking what they cleverely believe to be a legitimate question.

Hell, you can see it in the replies...such as from Vivadalis and others who leap on it like a duck on a junebug. Never miss a chance to ridicule Southern Christians, right Viva?

Oh golly gee...so say they...I was just so, so, traumatized by my experiences in the Southern Bible Belt. *gasp, arrrrgh...Only my own enlightenment kept me from becoming a heroin addict in spite of all those evil snake-handling Southern Baptists who just tried to convert me and dared ask such an intrusive and interrogative question as to what church did I attend. Just IMAGINE such an attempt at being friendly according to local customs and tradtions and neighborliness! Must have been a horrible experience, huh? .....

Ah, well. Whatever. This is an obviously provocative thread and intended to be so. It really needs to be shut down on the grounds it is too sophomoric for serious consideration...
I just love how people make someone asking them what church they go to as the worst thing ever. How dare they!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 12:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Those were actually the pentecostals handling the snake. The Southern Baptist were asking what church they went to. But I find it equally interesting if you reject evolution in the Bible Belt, or anywhere, you're considered insane. In all actuality, several scientist challenge the validity of evolution. Do your research.
Agreed. I just thought TexasReb hit on the ridiculous generalization (in a funny/sarcastic way) that all those that do not adhere to evolutionary theory MUST BE SO crazy/delusional that they handle snakes in church.

I'm with you there on the research as well, Adavi.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 06-16-2011 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I happen to live in the bible belt - but I am a Northern Euro/New Yorker and hence, this god stuff has absolutely no place in my life. Didn't grow up with it, don't care about it, find it non-sensical. Although there are quite a few churches around, I have yet to see anybody try to proselytize - not that they'd get anywhere with that.

Just like I have not encountered any crazy bible thumpers, so have evolution deniers been surprisingly absent. If they are out there, they follow the same path most other people follow - their beliefs are their own and yours are yours. I have also not been given the evil eye because I don't follow the same superstition - I think I have gotten more flak for not believing in horoscopes (and that was in Los Angeles).

I am sure there are also a quite a few people who don't see religion and evolution as mutually exclusive - you know, god created evolution and such.

Alas, I will concede that I live in an affluent area with the majority of my neighbors being well-educated professionals and we do live in the shadow of a large, urban and hence, liberal city. I am sure, life in the real boonies would be much scarier and they'd probably try to do an exorcism on us.

In other words, your belief that everybody in the bible belt rejects evolution simply does not resonate with my experience here. Mind you, I moved here with the same fears and prejudices. I thought that racial segregation was out of control as well and have since seen more interracial couples and "mixed" kids than anywhere else in the US.

I can't help but think that it's all a myth designed to keep us Yankees out.
>>>>>
<<<<<

Amen and Amen. Now let us close in prayer and give praise to God.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
In all actuality, several scientist challenge the validity of evolution. Do your research.
There are scientists today who challenge evolution, but they are in the fringe. 99% of mainstream scientists and scientific organizations accept evolution as fact.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There are scientists today who challenge evolution, but they are in the fringe. 99% of mainstream scientists and scientific organizations accept evolution as fact.
Give some scientific journals and/or sources that are evidence for your assertion.

Thank you.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Give some scientific journals and/or sources that are evidence for your assertion.

Thank you.
I'll leave you with these links:

CA111: Scientists reject evolution?

List of scientific societies explicitly rejecting intelligent design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-16-2011, 01:58 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
There are 120 million people in the American South. Do people really think that 120 million people would share the exact same idea, especially when it is taught in school? In fact, I've seen enough of these threads that I am starting to think that in other parts of the country they teach children that everyone in the South thinks exactly the same and they are just starting these threads to check that idea. Use some common sense people, geez.

FWIW, I grew up in the South and accept evolution as scientific fact (not as merely a theory). There is no valid scientific argument to counter it, and until there is one I am sticking with it. I'm sorry, but the idea that a valid alternative is to believe an omnipotent dude in the sky took a week (with one day to slack off and watch football) is responsible for all of the variations of life over the course of billions of years is a bit naive.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:05 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
<<<<<

Amen and Amen. Now let us close in prayer and give praise to God.
Did you bring the snakes, ol' buddy...or do we need to get together and have a spontaneous rattlesnake hunt to find 'em...?

Old 06-16-2011, 02:08 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
The one problem I have with the whole Intelligent Design crowd is this:

If evolution is a farce, the Abrahamic God created the world and everything in it, and the world is only 5000 years old then how come there is nothing about dinosaurs in the Bible? Don't you think it would have came up at least once?

Wouldn't have a Brontosaurus come in real handy when the Hebrews were crossing the Red Sea? Why didn't God throw in some Velociraptors in to the mix with his plagues on Egypt? Wouldn't the dying off of millions of dinosaurs have made the New Testament? It would have made for an awesome read "And then Jesus walked on water. It's been a crazy couple of days in retrospect. For example, last week every single dinosaur died. Like, just fell out the sky and effing dropped dead."

These are really simple things to consider, but don't confuse my intention. Feel free to believe in Intelligent Design and other associated things. This is just something I have a big problem with.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
This thread is rapidly evolving (pun intended! LOL) into one that belongs on the "Controveries" and/or "Religion" sub-forum. And it should probably get there soon, or shut down completely, as it seems to be rapidly degenerating. Which, of course, is probably what the OP intended.

*snorts in contempt* Kinda reminds of one of those little spoiled brat kids on the elementary school playground that starts a fight between others...then runs behind teachers skirts to watch the fun and keep their own nose unbloodied...

Whatever, I can only give my own opinionon the general matter. That is, there is no contradiction between accepting and believing in some kind of evolution as well as a Creator of the said origins of life and start of the said evolution. Personally, I call that Creator the (my) God of the Old Testament and my personal Savior, the Jesus Christ of the New Testament, the Son who explains it all very well.

The problem is that some are sooooo dammed wrapped up in attempting to ridicule Christians (especially Southern Christians), that it is actually THEY who miss the point. The fact is, many of us Southern Christians DO accept the fact of evolution on many levels. Just not that the whole thing (life itself) started from some random accident. And we have serious questions about the non-existence of the "missing link." There is plenty of evidence for "micro-evolution"...but there is virtually none for reptiles to evolve into birds (or something like that...LOL).

Yet (perhaps out of some sort of insecurity...?) many of those who ridicule ID persist in classifying us with those who literally believe the Earth is only 5000 years old. That is ridiculous, and an obvious rhetorical ploy on the part of those who do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality