U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM

9,785 posts, read 10,812,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The one problem I have with the whole Intelligent Design crowd is this:

If evolution is a farce, the Abrahamic God created the world and everything in it, and the world is only 5000 years old then how come there is nothing about dinosaurs in the Bible? Don't you think it would have came up at least once?

Wouldn't have a Brontosaurus come in real handy when the Hebrews were crossing the Red Sea? Why didn't God throw in some Velociraptors in to the mix with his plagues on Egypt? Wouldn't the dying off of millions of dinosaurs have made the New Testament? It would have made for an awesome read "And then Jesus walked on water. It's been a crazy couple of days in retrospect. For example, last week every single dinosaur died. Like, just fell out the sky and effing dropped dead."

These are really simple things to consider, but don't confuse my intention. Feel free to believe in Intelligent Design and other associated things. This is just something I have a big problem with.
This is a great example of what I was talking about in the earlier post. If one does not accept Evolution in all its Darwinism, then some take it that must follow that they are Genesis Creationists who believe the Earth was created in a literal 6 Days and is only 5000 years old.

Get off it. Geez. And don't think your hyperbole about dinasours and the Red Sea Miracle flies over anybody's head. Or that you are impressing anyone with the cutesy jokes about the imaginary man in the sky, or some such crap as that. As if you think God is mocked or can be erased by an edict or some senior term theme. Better yet, hell, take it up with Him, if you have issues with the Guy. It would be a fair fight, reckon? LMAO Gawd...

Anyway, there is a difference in being clever and being wise. Know what I mean? Clever is being able to make remarks about plagues on Egypt in hopes of getting cheap laughs. Wise is being able to humble oneself enough to admit they know nothing at all about the creation of life itself. Or why the universe and the stars stretches to eternity...seems like..

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-16-2011 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:55 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,749,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This is a great example of what I was talking about in the earlier post. If one does not accept Evolution in all its Darwinism, then some take it that must follow that they are Genesis Creationists who believe the Earth was created in a literal 6 Days and is only 5000 years old.

Hell, get off it. Geez. And don't think your hyperbole about dinasours and the Red Sea Miracle flies over anybody's head. Or that you are impressing anyone with the cutesy jokes about the imaginary man in the sky, or some such crap as that. As certainly as if you think God is mocked or can be erased by an edict or some senior term theme. . Gawd...

Anyway, there is a difference in being clever and being wise. Know what I mean? Clever is being able to make remarks about plagues on Egypt in hopes of getting cheap laughs. Wise is being able to humble oneself enought to admit they know nothing at all about the creation of life itself. Or why the universe and the stars stretches to eternity...seems like..
Excellent post my friend!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:00 PM

11,441 posts, read 8,780,215 times
Maybe the OP should have stated that Bible belters believe in creationism.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:14 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,296,833 times
Quote:
This thread is rapidly evolving (pun intended! LOL) into one that belongs on the "Controveries" and/or "Religion" sub-forum. And it should probably get there soon, or shut down completely, as it seems to be rapidly degenerating. Which, of course, is probably what the OP intended.

*snorts in contempt* Kinda reminds of one of those little spoiled brat kids on the elementary school playground that starts a fight between others...then runs behind teachers skirts to watch the fun and keep their own nose unbloodied...

Whatever, I can only give my own opinionon the general matter. That is, there is no contradiction between accepting and believing in some kind of evolution as well as a Creator of the said origins of life and start of the said evolution. Personally, I call that Creator the (my) God of the Old Testament and my personal Savior, the Jesus Christ of the New Testament, the Son who explains it all very well.

The problem is that some are sooooo dammed wrapped up in attempting to ridicule Christians (especially Southern Christians), that it is actually THEY who miss the point. The fact is, many of us Southern Christians DO accept the fact of evolution on many levels. Just not that the whole thing (life itself) started from some random accident. And we have serious questions about the non-existence of the "missing link." There is plenty of evidence for "micro-evolution"...but there is virtually none for reptiles to evolve into birds (or something like that...LOL).

Yet (perhaps out of some sort of insecurity...?) many of those who ridicule ID persist in classifying us with those who literally believe the Earth is only 5000 years old. That is ridiculous, and an obvious rhetorical ploy on the part of those who do...
Well, I think this is the problem we have with just about any topic of "conversation" these days - religion, politics, etc. You take the extreme crazies on either side of the dividing line, look at their absurd arguments ('cause if they are on the extreme, their arguments are always absurd), tear them a new one, insult them and tell them how stupid they are, and then generalize to absolutely everyone who even slightly falls on that side of the dividing line.

And voilá, you end up with a black and white world where you're either with us, or you're against us. That's so much easier to handle than all this variation and the nuances that come with it.

So, people from the Northwest are all crazy liberals who want to destroy the US, Southerners are bible-thumpin' hillbillies who marry their cousins, New Yorkers are arrogant and believe they are the cream of the crop, etc.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:23 PM

4,092 posts, read 3,712,784 times
Quote:
Did you bring the snakes, ol' buddy...or do we need to get together and have a spontaneous rattlesnake hunt to find 'em...?

I hear there is a rattesnake roundup in Okeene, Oklahoma. Maybe we should make a trip over so we can tame those rattlers in our next church service?

Old 06-16-2011, 03:23 PM

6,477 posts, read 6,503,847 times
Quote:

Get off it. Geez. And don't think your hyperbole about dinasours and the Red Sea Miracle flies over anybody's head. Or that you are impressing anyone with the cutesy jokes about the imaginary man in the sky, or some such crap as that. As if you think God is mocked or can be erased by an edict or some senior term theme. Better yet, hell, take it up with Him, if you have issues with the Guy. It would be a fair fight, reckon? LMAO Gawd...

Anyway, there is a difference in being clever and being wise. Know what I mean? Clever is being able to make remarks about plagues on Egypt in hopes of getting cheap laughs. Wise is being able to humble oneself enough to admit they know nothing at all about the creation of life itself. Or why the universe and the stars stretches to eternity...seems like..
Relax dude, it is 98% tongue and cheek along with some liberal lifting of the acts George Carlin and Bill Hicks (God rest their smutty souls).

But it gets to the heart of the problem. There is a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense about the bible given our knowledge of science and let's face it, most people who believe in Intelligent Design believe in a literal translation of the Bible (except for one dude I saw who actually put dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden. Seriously.)

Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM

4,092 posts, read 3,712,784 times
Quote:
This thread is rapidly evolving (pun intended! LOL) into one that belongs on the "Controveries" and/or "Religion" sub-forum. And it should probably get there soon, or shut down completely, as it seems to be rapidly degenerating. Which, of course, is probably what the OP intended.

*snorts in contempt* Kinda reminds of one of those little spoiled brat kids on the elementary school playground that starts a fight between others...then runs behind teachers skirts to watch the fun and keep their own nose unbloodied...

Whatever, I can only give my own opinionon the general matter. That is, there is no contradiction between accepting and believing in some kind of evolution as well as a Creator of the said origins of life and start of the said evolution. Personally, I call that Creator the (my) God of the Old Testament and my personal Savior, the Jesus Christ of the New Testament, the Son who explains it all very well.

The problem is that some are sooooo dammed wrapped up in attempting to ridicule Christians (especially Southern Christians), that it is actually THEY who miss the point. The fact is, many of us Southern Christians DO accept the fact of evolution on many levels. Just not that the whole thing (life itself) started from some random accident. And we have serious questions about the non-existence of the "missing link." There is plenty of evidence for "micro-evolution"...but there is virtually none for reptiles to evolve into birds (or something like that...LOL).

Yet (perhaps out of some sort of insecurity...?) many of those who ridicule ID persist in classifying us with those who literally believe the Earth is only 5000 years old. That is ridiculous, and an obvious rhetorical ploy on the part of those who do...
Best post of the thread, IMO.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:35 PM

135 posts, read 126,179 times
I'm an atheist and have lived in the South my entire life. Honestly, people just don't really talk about evolution that much so I couldn't give you a good estimate. This is off topic a little bit, but some people were talking about it earlier. The only time I've ever been asked "Where do you go to church?" were times when church would somehow find it's way into the conversation. An example is when I would say that I went or was going to some event with friends from my church (obviously when I was still a Christian) or something of that nature and then they would ask where I went to church. I've never had anyone randomly during a conversation ask me where I went to church.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 PM

2,253 posts, read 1,754,196 times
Georgia native, evolution supporter. 99% of the people I know are also evolution supporters(the ones I have discussed it with any way). Really, all of these types of threads are going to make me stereotype northerners as people who will believe any stereotype. It's getting pretty unreal folks.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 PM

6,477 posts, read 6,503,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyj42 View Post
Honestly, people just don't really talk about evolution that much so I couldn't give you a good estimate.
You know what, that is a good point. In what situation any where in the country that isn't a classroom will everyday people talk about evolution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality