U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:35 PM

6,558 posts, read 6,896,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
how it all started is still unknown
What you must understand is that knowing "how it all started" has no bearing on whether or not evolution occurs and using that as an excuse not to understand (or accept) the principle behind evolution. That is a bigger question than just what evolution can answer and is basically what science in total is all about: understand how and why the universe came to be.

If we went with the thought that not knowing how life started means that the theory of evolution is invalid, then we must throw out every other law and theory of science out as bogus too since everything that is must have a specific beginning and ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 01:37 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,073,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron11 View Post
Feel free to point out my "fallible" reasoning. I've always wanted to take tips on science and research from a dude named Bass&Catfish.
How could I give you any tips on science?

I mean, your own credulity leaves me utterly incredulous.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What you must understand is that knowing "how it all started" has no bearing on whether or not evolution occurs and using that as an excuse not to understand (or accept) the principle behind evolution. That is a bigger question than just what evolution can answer and is basically what science in total is all about: understand how and why the universe came to be.

If we went with the thought that not knowing how life started means that the theory of evolution is invalid, then we must throw out every other law and theory of science out as bogus too since everything that is must have a specific beginning and ending.
>>>>>
That is a bigger question than just what evolution can answer
<<<<<

You're a heck of a fellar for admitting that. Well done.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
You're a heck of a fellar for admitting that. Well done.
Well I am a Southerner, gentleman, and a scholar so it is a given I'm a "heckuva guy".

On a more serious note, your post does get to the heart of the matter that often gets lost in these religious/philosophical and scientific "debates":

Science is based on the belief that everything will, and must, be verifiable proven by observation. It does not seek to negate, but to explain, however often through explanation things are negated. For example, go back 1000 years and every smart person (and the dumb ones too) in Europe was convinced the Earth was flat and the Sun (as well as everything else in the Universe) revolved our planet. Obviously, anyone arguing in favor of either concept will be considered a whack job now because science has proven by observation both to be not true. Alternatively, it is not science's goal to disprove God...except for whack jobs who pervert science for their own gains.

Religion and philosophy is based on the belief of "belief" itself. To turn over your world view to a being higher than you. Actions can be interpreted, but the overall "goal" or "reason" can not.

The two can peacefully coexist.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Well I am a Southerner, gentleman, and a scholar so it is a given I'm a "heckuva guy".

On a more serious note, your post does get to the heart of the matter that often gets lost in these religious/philosophical and scientific "debates":

Science is based on the belief that everything will, and must, be verifiable proven by observation. It does not seek to negate, but to explain, however often through explanation things are negated. For example, go back 1000 years and every smart person (and the dumb ones too) in Europe was convinced the Earth was flat and the Sun (as well as everything else in the Universe) revolved our planet. Obviously, anyone arguing in favor of either concept will be considered a whack job now because science has proven by observation both to be not true. Alternatively, it is not science's goal to disprove God...except for whack jobs who pervert science for their own gains.

Religion and philosophy is based on the belief of "belief" itself. To turn over your world view to a being higher than you. Actions can be interpreted, but the overall "goal" or "reason" can not.

The two can peacefully coexist.
Glad to know you're a scholar. There were a few spots where you had some verb confusion in the above post. (Oh no! Grammar police!)

While not a scholar by any stretch of the imagination (unless you perceive catching copious amounts of fish on the side of the river a scholarly skill), I concur with the above post.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:03 PM

24,985 posts, read 18,582,885 times
I know fish and frogs are evolving in the bible belt, but I'm not so sure about the people.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Glad to know you're a scholar. There were a few spots where you had some verb confusion in the above post. (Oh no! Grammar police!)
LOL, that is a big problem for me when I post something online since I tend to write with a stream of consciousness frame of mind. I won't hold it against you that you pointed it out.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I know fish and frogs are evolving in the bible belt, but I'm not so sure about the people.
I have million ways I could respond this post, but all of them would get me an infraction. Come back and be self righteous when your countrymen figure out that "about" isn't spelled with two Os.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 PM

24,985 posts, read 18,582,885 times
Quote:
I have million ways I could respond this post, but all of them would get me an infraction. Come back and be self righteous when your countrymen figure out that "about" isn't spelled with two Os.
It was a joke...Not my problem if you don't like my humor...I realize that there are some in the south that accept evolution, but you have to admit the the density of creationists in the south is rather large..That aboot all I have to say.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:36 PM

1,915 posts, read 2,863,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I agree with you!
I live in the Bible Belt, in a more rural area...and it's a nightmare.
There are very few people like myself who live around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality