Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
I have found a Reformed Southern Baptist Church that I really, really like and I know that Calvinism is something they do learn about there. I have done some research on Calvinism and don't quite agree with all of it. My brother goes to church at the same place and keeps telling me not to get to hung up on the Calvinism aspect. It is the word of god that you need to live your life by and with that you will be saved.
It is good advise your brother gives, don't get hung up on doctrine, just serve God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 01:52 PM

193 posts, read 1,027,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
My response to that then is that if I were God I would not create these people. I have used this example before...

I am the father of 3 small children, whom I love and adore and would lay down my life for if I had to do so. I would die for my children, and I think most parent's would.

But if I somehow KNEW, without any doubt--truly KNEW that in the end they would not only be seperated from me eternally (heartbreaking enough) but spend that eternity in blinding, searing pain, or at the very least in concious torment? I WOULD NOT HAVE MY CHILDREN. Because I love them that much. I would rather they not exist than exist in such a state.

If I, an earthly father, wouldn't concieve of this, why would God?
I truly appreciate your input. This is my whole hang up with Calvinism. There are five points and the pre-distination I am not comfortable with. Input from fellow Christians like you really help me to find the truth about things such as this.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:59 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
I truly appreciate your input. This is my whole hang up with Calvinism. There are five points and the pre-distination I am not comfortable with. Input from fellow Christians like you really help me to find the truth about things such as this.
No problem. Just press in to Jesus, the Auther and the Finisher of our faith. Seek God with a pure heart ask for wisdom. God will give it!

I would say to read some of the info available on the internet that refutes Calvinism. I myself am not an Arminian which is what the majority of Protestant Christianity believes in, but I would recommend that belief over Calvinism any day.

In case you want to know, I myself believe in Trinitarian Universalism. God bless and keep you!

The winds of God are always blowing, but you must set the sails. –Unknown

Old 08-10-2007, 02:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshort View Post
And what happened for it to change from a fairy tale to reality??
That is a long story...I posted it on another thread...hold on brb:

Here's that post:

I always thought that it was weak people who needed a God. They obviously couldn't handle life on their own and so they needed a God to help them "deal" with the stresses of life. I also felt that they needed purpose in their boring lives and so they just latched on to God and that filled that need within their heart.

I also question everything! I was one of those in class who totally annoyed the teacher because I had to know how all parts of the puzzle fit together...not just the one part the teacher was discussing. I thought the whole thing about a man on a cross for sin and all was just way out there. If there was a God...why all the drama?

So, why do I now KNOW there is a God? What certainty do I have? When I found God I wasn't searching for Him at all. I'll admit that I am a bit of a control freak...and I was really trying to control situations that were completely out of my control and it was breaking my heart. One day, in tears feeling like I had no where else to go...I prayed to God. Now, I did go to Christian school for a short period when I was a kid, but I never believed because none of it was taught at home...so I felt like it was a good story. Kind of like Santa...good, but fantasy. I mostly cried in my prayer...but God heard me. Now, this is where you'll think I'm totally nuts, completely crazy, and out of my mind...but here goes. When I was done praying I felt an amazing and complete peace fall upon me instantly when I opened my eyes. Suddenly, when I had been in a panic...it was impressed upon my mind that everything was going to be ok. And...it was. Not just physically...but internally...God strengthened me in an amazing way. This is really one of those things that is hard to explain via type.

Now...I had no idea who the Holy Spirit was, or any Christian terms per se. I didn't really understand what had happened to me that day but I was a changed person. How do I know it was God and not someone/something else? Well, I went out and bought a Bible. I remember telling my then live in boyfriend "Don't worry, I won't turn into a Bible thumper or anything...I'm just curious" and so I started reading it. While reading it...God was speaking to my spirit. Thoughts were entering my mind that were not my own! For example...all of a sudden I *knew* it was wrong for me to be sleeping and living with my boyfriend even though we had been happily doing this for seven years!! All of a sudden, certain language was offensive to me. Once I was praying and praying and I just felt like my prayers weren't going anywhere. I wasn't sure if it was me or what!? I was new at all this! So at this time a coworker approached me (a Christian) and said she needed to talk to me. She preceeded to tell me that God had spoken to her about me a while ago but she was afraid to approach me for fear of what I would say. What did she tell me? While I stood there stunned she preceeded to tell me that the reason there was a blockage between me and God was because of the sin I was deliberatly living in with my boyfriend! Mind you...I had told no one about this. It goes on and on...but my point is that these were not my own personal feelings prior to salvation. God was speaking to my spirit and I was understanding the way God feels offended because of sin. I knew I needed a Savior,

Old 08-10-2007, 08:14 PM

73 posts, read 143,577 times
What I look for in religion is freedom. Religion is a belief, and beliefs should be found in your own heart, not learned from others.

Being raised Christian, obviously some of what I believe is based on Christianity. I believe in a God, not necessarily the Christian God, but a single all loving God. I don't believe that Jesus is the son of God. Historically, there was a man named Jesus, and he was an extremely good person, and he died for good reasons in his time. I believe wholly in reincarnation. When a being dies, their soul goes to purgatory where it is decided whether their soul has led a good enough life to go to "heaven". If not, then they return to life in a new body and live again, ultimately wiser each time--hence new and old souls. New souls are newly born souls who feel the need to act out and do wrong, old souls are souls who have been reborn many times and have become wise enough in their lives to resist much temptation. There is no Satan. Any temptation comes from God, but these temptations are not feelings of homosexuality or the beliefs in other religion, these temptations are more meaningful to show the depth of a person's soul--cheating, theft. In my opinion, most of the "temptations" and "sins" listed in the Bible don't test your strength as a person, they're just expressions against oddities of the time. Every soul will eventually reach heaven--or whatever lies beyond this life.

I have knowledge of the Bible and Christianity and also of many other religions having studied theology for a few years in my past. I don't mean for this to be offensive in any way, this is my belief.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:27 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
For me, the religions pursued today are just to confining. They enjoin an individual to learn and chastise if what they learn is not the proscribed doctrine. I have alway wondered if, god being omnipotent and and all powerful, why such a creature would need the worship of creatures such as humanity. Having studied various religions I have yet to find the answer.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:35 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Predos, I agree with you that the religions today are too confining. That is the very reason that I don't seek a particular place (church) to attend. After 43 years of trying to please family members by following what was pleasing to them and for a stress free marriage, I finally had the courage to take a stand for my beliefs..I just told them all that I had made up my mind that no one would ever again come between me and my God. From now on, I would do as He says, not as you say.I am happy, I am free, I am a better person. Most of all I feel assured that I am pleasing to my Lord

Old 08-11-2007, 12:44 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Precisely. In my mind, it is not how you worship or even what you worship. It is the fact that you acknowledge something greater than you and pay homage to that.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:10 PM

122 posts, read 385,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Precisely. In my mind, it is not how you worship or even what you worship. It is the fact that you acknowledge something greater than you and pay homage to that.

I believe you are completely on the right track here. Joining a particular religious organization helps divide the world into little hostile factions.

I see God as a kind entity that knows your heart. Rituals are not needed; would be my guess.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:28 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
I believe you are completely on the right track here. Joining a particular religious organization helps divide the world into little hostile factions.

I see God as a kind entity that knows your heart. Rituals are not needed; would be my guess.
Throx...we agree completely on this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality