Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Terrible analogy. Wind and magnetism have directly observable and measurable effects on the physical world. They are only "unseen" in the narrow sense they are invisible to the naked human eye. Emotions create observable and measurable chemical and electrical changes in the human brain. They are in no way "unseen."

Besides, the fact you cannot prove something doesn't exist doesn't make its existence the least bit likely. I cannot prove that, somewhere out in the universe, there isn't a planet inhabited by intelligent pink unicorns. Should I then assume intelligent pink unicorns exist, just because I cannot prove they don't?

Convincing yourself is too easy. People have the ability to convince themselves of whatever they want to believe. The real test is objective, testable evidence, not personal conviction.

I reject the attempt to use unexisting myths such as unicorns to argue against an existing God who is not a myth, there is no true comparrison. The wind and unseen analogy is an excellent one in my view so I disagree with you. Gods existence is objective and testable; I have tested it thousands of times, Using the most valuable things I have; my own consciousness and life!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I reject the attempt to use unexisting myths such as unicorns to argue against an existing God who is not a myth, there is no true comparrison.
What are you talking about? You haven't proven God exists! You can't assert God's existence as a proven fact just because you, personally, choose to believe in it. That's absurd.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? You haven't proven God exists! You can't assert God's existence as a proven fact just because you, personally, choose to believe in it. That's absurd.

Its not absurd, because listen buddy; anything I believe first starts and begins with ME! So I must first, personally, choose to believe it.

Thats the first step in proving things, and its a step that cannot be excluded or belittled.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Its not absurd, because listen buddy; anything I believe first starts and begins with ME! So I must first, personally, choose to believe it.

Thats the first step in proving things, and its a step that cannot be excluded or belittled.
But it has to be excluded and belittled.

David Koresh (Waco tragedy) "proved" to himself he was the messiah. Marshall Applewhite (Heavens Gate mass suicide) "proved" to himself that he was the reincarnation of the alien spirit that, 2000 years before, was Jesus Christ. Andrea Yates (from Texas) drowned all five of her children in a bathtub because she "proved" to herself God wanted that.

Believe is NOT a matter of choice. You cannot believe things because you chose to. You have to believe things based on EVIDENCE. I, for example, choose not to believe in gravity. But you know what? STUFF STILL FALLS.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
But it has to be excluded and belittled.

David Koresh (Waco tragedy) "proved" to himself he was the messiah. Marshall Applewhite (Heavens Gate mass suicide) "proved" to himself that he was the reincarnation of the alien spirit that, 2000 years before, was Jesus Christ. Andrea Yates (from Texas) drowned all five of her children in a bathtub because she "proved" to herself God wanted that.

Believe is NOT a matter of choice. You cannot believe things because you chose to. You have to believe things based on EVIDENCE. I, for example, choose not to believe in gravity. But you know what? STUFF STILL FALLS.

I don't care how many negative examples you list, the first step in proving things, is to prove it to yourself; period!

And thats just how it is.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 AM

You prove God to yourself by watching Atheist very closely, and knowing that the reality of God makes them squirm, not the myth of God; why would an Atheist squirm over a myth? You prove God to yourself by observing how Atheist are threatened by God. You prove him by understanding that God is the fuel of Atheist drive.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM

You prove God to yourself by understanding that most believers in God, simply do not understand God, or his word; thus, we have an intresting dynamic which is real; unbelievers do not understand God, most believers do not understand him; thus the " Mystery that surrounds God" is defintely real! Understand this; if God didNOT want that mystery, there would be none! If God didnot want something to be, and it was, then that something would be more powerful than God!

So " Mystery", or the mystery that surrounds God, is eire proof of him.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I don't care how many negative examples you list, the first step in proving things, is to prove it to yourself; period!

And thats just how it is.
So basically, you're determined to go on believing whatever you want regardless. Thank you for making my point.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
So " Mystery", or the mystery that surrounds God, is eire proof of him.

Huh?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
So basically, you're determined to go on believing whatever you want regardless. Thank you for making my point.
I don't know of any one single person who has done so much to make the atheist argument than Mickael.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality