Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

If you believe Jesus was the son of "God", does that not make you a Christian at the core of it? Just because you disagree with *some* of their beliefs doesn't preclude you from being Christian, does it?

Which atheist views, specifically, do you agree with? I'm curious.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Why would God allow confusion, I am not rightly sure, I just don't know. But it has something to do with our creation, development, and our learning. I just can't quite get my understanding hand on it. Hes proved one thing to me though, if he holds back and does not intervene, humanity will eventually destroy itself. If there is no God, we are surely doomed, by our own hands. Oh it may take some time, but I think we would. The way politics and terrorism are mixing, the way nations are so careless with their " Little fights with each other", I think we would do it.

I have a bit of Agnosticism in me myself, because its a lot I just don't know.

Peace.

Perhaps the confusion is there because its human nature. You can never really force emotions, beliefs, or actions upon anyone.

I look at it as a relationship between two people, which is what God should be and I think basically is. However, while out of context, you have a man and woman that are in a relationship, married, however you want to look at it. Both have to believe in the other person based on the information set forth. You can't force the other person to love you and trust in you, just as God really can't force you to love, trust, and believe in him, this also comes from free will, which supposedly he gave us. He put out the details about who he is and why you should trust him, just like a spouse would put out details and why you should trust him/her, but true love and faith can't be forced. God isn't going to force anyone to believe. Its up to you to search, and try.

I've been in plenty of relationships, and you need to search and try, otherwise you'll never find that love and trust if you think its going to be handed to you.

That's just my take on this relationship, which I still struggle to find God. I hope in the end there is a God, I think there are forces way bigger that we can't comprehend, just like an ant can't ever comprehend the larger life forms outside of his little anthill/world. We're tiny ants in a giant endless "space". Everything has been beautifully orchestrated from creation, endless space, even to details in the bible that I don't think any man can truely make up in a scheme to just seem as a preacher and great leader. They covered all bases with the actions and words they chose. It's too grand of a scale for even a group of men to come up on their own if you look deep into it, and for what purpose?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:33 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
If you believe Jesus was the son of "God", does that not make you a Christian at the core of it? Just because you disagree with *some* of their beliefs doesn't preclude you from being Christian, does it?

Which atheist views, specifically, do you agree with? I'm curious.

I do not believe in Eternal hell suffering or the Trinity, two basic Christian beliefs. I do not believe in free will and evangelism, two basic Christian beliefs. I do not believe in Tithing and the celebration of Christmas and Easter,three basic Christian beliefs. So by " Popular Definition", I cannot be Christian. Its definition must be redefined, and doctrines purged before I can be one, and I don't see that happening in this life.

I agree with Atheist that this universe was not formed in just 7 days. I agree with Atheist that " Religion" is mythical and traditional, and shouldnot be attributed to " A God." I agree with Atheist that belief in God and his existence should be proven. I agree with Atheist that primordal man certainly existed, and their views on the " Age of the Universe." There was a time that even Christians used to be considered Atheist because of their denial of Pagan gods.

One can be interested in certain material, but still not be in acceptence of it as a whole. For example; I like " Huckleberry Finn", an interesting novel, but I do not like that Mark Twian used a degrading term towards blacks 213 times in the novel. Most who like the novel and its " Movies', simply are unaware of this. So my " Awareness" of many Christian doctrines which are so popular, and my total disagreement with them, precludes me from personal intrest into their group.

Peace.

Last edited by Mickiel; 07-22-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 01:21 PM

[quote=nowitsshowtime;20128765]Perhaps the confusion is there because its human nature. You can never really force emotions, beliefs, or actions upon anyone.

I look at it as a relationship between two people, which is what God should be and I think basically is. However, while out of context, you have a man and woman that are in a relationship, married, however you want to look at it. Both have to believe in the other person based on the information set forth. You can't force the other person to love you and trust in you, just as God really can't force you to love, trust, and believe in him, this also comes from free will, which supposedly he gave us./quote]

What is being described in the book of Revelations, if it is not Force? In my view, the opening of the seven seals is a classic use of force, which this world will have never seen. Then 7 more " Bowls of Wrath" are unleashed on humanity which will force this world to its knees.

And after that, everyone will always be on their knees in their approach to God.

Explain to me why this is not force.

Peace.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 PM

10 posts, read 8,981 times
Quote:
When things are not clear in scripture, go by what God has clearly stated on the subject; you may still lack understanding, but from that premise, at the least, your headed in the right direction. God has stated that he alone is God, many other scriptures state there is only " One" God. So I go by that, now! Before Jesus was human, he was in heaven with God, he is Gods only " Begotten Son", which I view as a " Birth", God brought him out of himself long ago. So Jesus was never " God the Father, and is not God the Father." He is a totally seperate entity, which came from God. He is Gods Son.
This is all just great, Master Conjector. Evidence.. any? I'd be surprised if your scripture was consistent about anything at all. More proof it's a work of fiction and there's only so much you can expect from it. "God brought him out of himself long ago".. what?

Quote:
Now, is Jesus himself " A God?" There are one or two scriptures that refer to him as a God, so I am unclear on that, but when he was sent to earth, he was " Reduced from whatever he was", and made to be a human. So while he was on earth, according to my understanding, he was not " A God", he was a man. He lived in flesh and died, and God cannot die! So theres a big difference right there.
Has the holy scripture let you down again? Here - Is Jesus God?
Have fun concocting the way you like it (although you do a pretty good job already).

You say Jesus is a man because god cannot die. And somehow you find it okay that god can give birth? I thought only women were capable of it.

Quote:
Jesus was NOT a " Regular ******", or regular human in my view. Because he was not born from human sperm, he was born totally from the " Spirit", he was conceived by the Spirit, and no other human has ever been that. So Jesus was a human, he was flesh, he was STILL Gods Son on earth, but he was not a God on earth, in my view. But he was as close to God as is possible, and in Gods " Image", which I believe means his " Consciousness was like Gods." The image of God means " Consciousness."
You must love hearing yourself speak. So you're discounting Jesus's miracles, resurrection and the rest of his 'supernatural works' while he was here on Earth? Then pray tell me, what was he here for?

Conceived by the spirit? My head, it aches. Tell me if you still agree with your post (#231) on Proof of God? - Page 24 - General Forum

On a side note, that gesture in post #240 is the one that we should all aim to express when we hear your fantastic tales.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
How to prove god to yourself

Start by buying a half dozen limes and three fifths of a good tequila....

Old 07-23-2011, 10:24 AM

The probability of life originating from an accident is comparable to a full set of dictionarys resulting from an explosion in a printing shop, or a tornado sweeping through a junkyard and assembling a Boeing 747 from the materials therein.

Another way to prove God to yourself is " Irreducible Complexity." Which part of a mousetrap would you remove and still have it work? Certain living organisms also cannot be simplified or reduced in complexity, and survive. The removal of any single part causes the system to cease functioning. Irreducible complex systems cannot be produced gradually, by slight successive modifications from a less complicated pre-condition. They must exist exactly as they are- whole- complette, or they cannot exist at all. This is stunning proof of God creating.

Peace.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:08 PM

Another way to prove God to yourself, is to" Challange him on it." Tell him that you have just got to know; put it between him and you. This is one of the most direct ways of the search, the results of this are still unpredictable, because you are approaching a being that sees right through you, into your heart. He cannot be manipulated, cannot be compulsed to deadlines, cannot be limited by your selfishness; but he can be touched by sencerity.

And it would be a beginning in learning how to pray. So its a submission of types, something many cannot do with the whole heart. But any who would dare to know God, must be willing to approach him in submission.

And you must go into that, willing to change your mind; a human cannot know God, unless he is willing to change. Things are just going to change, beginning with the consciousness.

Peace.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:16 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
The probability of life originating from an accident is comparable to a full set of dictionarys resulting from an explosion in a printing shop, or a tornado sweeping through a junkyard and assembling a Boeing 747 from the materials therein.
Epic fail! It's been awhile since I have seen this ignorant argument. Order does not spontaneously form from disorder. A tornado passing through a junkyard would never assemble a 747. This claim is irrelevant to the theory of evolution itself, since evolution does not occur via assembly from individual parts, but rather via selective gradual modifications to existing structures. Order can and does result from such evolutionary processes.

Quote:
Another way to prove God to yourself is " Irreducible Complexity." Which part of a mousetrap would you remove and still have it work? Certain living organisms also cannot be simplified or reduced in complexity, and survive. The removal of any single part causes the system to cease functioning. Irreducible complex systems cannot be produced gradually, by slight successive modifications from a less complicated pre-condition. They must exist exactly as they are- whole- complette, or they cannot exist at all. This is stunning proof of God creating.

Peace.
Epic fail part 2...Irreducible complexity can evolve. It is defined as a system that loses its function if any one part is removed, so it only indicates that the system did not evolve by the addition of single parts with no change in function. That still leaves several evolutionary mechanisms:

deletion of parts
addition of multiple parts; for example, duplication of much or all of the system (Pennisi 2001)
change of function
addition of a second function to a part (Aharoni et al. 2004)
gradual modification of parts

All of these mechanisms have been observed in genetic mutations. In particular, deletions and gene duplications are fairly common (Dujon et al. 2004; Hooper and Berg 2003; Lynch and Conery 2000), and together they make irreducible complexity not only possible but expected. In fact, it was predicted by Nobel-prize-winning geneticist Hermann Muller almost a century ago (Muller 1918, 463-464). Muller referred to it as interlocking complexity (Muller 1939). CB200: Irreducible complexity
PS your mouse trap question is also answered on this page

Perhaps you should stop writing about things you have little or no knowledge of and begin reading to educate yourself.

I believe that since I have thoroughly trashed your so called proof of god, I must have proven that god had nothing whatsoever to do with life.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:29 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
So ridiculous this a la carte attitude to religion. How do you even know if the parts you are choosing are the 'right' ones.

Oh it's all about love blah blah blah when clearly religion has little to do with love, a lot to do with hate and bucketloads to do with power and control.

Silly people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality