Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,584,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You know this how?

Its that book I have been talking about Sans, that bible I believe in; In Rev. 21:4," And he shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there shall no longer be any death; there shall no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away." The first wave of evolution will pass away and he will usher in a second reserved evolution and we all shall be changed from this flesh that deteriorates and rots away, and given a whole new existence. Our lives will not be snuffed out early or late in growth any longer.

And who is this reserved for, Rom. 5:18- ALL of humankind that has ever existed! And THAT is the good news the bible message teaches.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 PM

33,512 posts, read 37,076,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Its that book I have been talking about Sans, that bible I believe in; In Rev. 21:4," And he shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there shall no longer be any death; there shall no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away." The first wave of evolution will pass away and he will usher in a second reserved evolution and we all shall be changed from this flesh that deteriorates and rots away, and given a whole new existence. Our lives will not be snuffed out early or late in growth any longer.

And who is this reserved for, Rom. 5:18- ALL of humankind that has ever existed! And THAT is the good news the bible message teaches.
It takes a tremendous amount of faith to believe all that, and I do not rely on faith at all....To me the bible is just another book of tales written long ago, and is badly out of date.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,617,089 times
After 80 posts the method of proving God to oneself is apparently reliant on an unquestioning gullibility and ignorance of science - and i don't believe that is the case with Mickiel at least - or an already existent faith in God, otherwise there would be no reason for rejection of the way science sees the world and history in favour of one of the many theist theories. There would not be an unquestioning acceptance of the tall and often magical claims of the various holy Books -the Bible in Mickiel's case.

The arguments in favour of Bible truth and against evolution have been shown to be far from sound. That way of 'proving God to yourself' is just not reasonable, but is an appeal either to ignorance or gullibility.

I for one think that we can all do better than that.

There was a post by Thom R recently about an atheist blogger who went theist - catholic, in fact and it's well worth reading for an indication of how one might come to believe in a god of some kind - a feeling that there is 'something more' to it all than just material nuts and bolts. A feeling that it just wouldn't all work the way it does without 'something conscious' doing it all deliberately.

It is a very insistent feeling. I think that it doesn't have any real evidence (despite the strenuous - and false - arguments to try and find some) but it is one that apparently persuaded that atheist to abandon atheism.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

After 80 posts the method of proving God to oneself is apparently reliant on an unquestioning gullibility and ignorance of science -.

Science began as a method of searching for God; looking for answers to the spiritual questions, and many founding fathers of science were believers in God.

Heres a short list of things that science and the bible agree on;

Animals reproducing after their own kind

The calender

Night and day

The earth rotating on its axis

Trees bearing fruit

Humans breathing air

Earthquakes

The existence of lightning, thunder, droughts, famines, and floods

Medicine

The earth being first formless and void and mostly water

Land masses erupting from beneath the waters and coming to the surface and separating the waters; developing dry land

Vegetation sprouted from beneath the earth

Day is a greater light, and night is a lesser light

That living creatures first came from the waters

Then living creatures came from the earth itself

That the foundations of the earth can be measured

That the bases of the earth were sunk in place

That oceans and seas have boundaries

That the seeds of grass sprout

That stars exist in the heavens

That dust can harden into a mass

That hawks can see a long ways off.

Both the bible and science agree on all these things and more!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:20 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,617,089 times
Quote:
Science began as a method of searching for God; looking for answers to the spiritual questions, and many founding fathers of science were believers in God.

The calender

Night and day

Trees bearing fruit

Humans breathing air

Earthquakes

Medicine

Land masses erupting from beneath the waters and coming to the surface and separating the waters; developing dry land

Please take that list to the 'Science proves Bible' thread where we are still stuck on getting the believers to accept the utterly bloody-well proven Biblical flat earth so that we can get on with evaluating the other fatheaded claims, like the equally bloody obvious noting that celestial objects move across the sky NOT meaning that the writers knew that it was caused by the earth's rotation and the ...

oh, for crying out loud, Micki...all that stuff is too obvious to bother with ...Really 'He that trippeth over a rock shall falleth fat upon his face.' Wow - advanced scientific knowledge" Oh my goodness - The Bible correctly says honey tastes sweet, therefore we should believe everything else it says? I can't believe you are not writing all that while choking with laughter at how you're winding us all up.

I'm sorry if this sounds mocking, but what on earth does it deserve else?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Please take that list to the 'Science proves Bible' thread where we are still stuck on getting the believers to accept the utterly bloody-well proven Biblical flat earth so that we can get on with evaluating the other fatheaded claims, like the equally bloody obvious noting that celestial objects move across the sky NOT meaning that the writers knew that it was caused by the earth's rotation and the ...

oh, for crying out loud, Micki...all that stuff is too obvious to bother with ...Really 'He that trippeth over a rock shall falleth fat upon his face.' Wow - advanced scientific knowledge" Oh my goodness - The Bible correctly says honey tastes sweet, therefore we should believe everything else it says? I can't believe you are not writing all that while choking with laughter at how you're winding us all up.

I'm sorry if this sounds mocking, but what on earth does it deserve else?

You can mock the list all you need to, but its a true factual list of agreement; and I like keeping some things simple.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:

The calender

Night and day

Trees bearing fruit

Humans breathing air

Earthquakes

Medicine

Also let me add to this comparison;

The timing that mountain goats give birth

the seasons in the constellations

the directions of storms

how ice is made

why clouds spread

how lions hunt

information on Pleiades and Orion

how Ostriches treat their young

how Hippos have muscles in their belly and what they eat.

Its all in the bible, and its scientific!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:10 PM

33,512 posts, read 37,076,354 times
So you are saying that rabbits chewing their cud is scientific, or perhaps talking donkeys?

Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So you are saying that rabbits chewing their cud is scientific, or perhaps talking donkeys?

I have said what I said; its all written very clear with no sarcasm; science and the bible agree on many things, thats WHY science was born in religion, they both come from the same search.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,113,695 times
Humans sharpened a stick, made killing animals easier.
Humans broke a rock and made a hand axe. Now easier to divide the animal up.
Humans experimented and broke more rock. Made stone knife. Good for skinning animal.
Humans tied knife to stick, even better for killing animals.
Humans now could fill there bellies and have free time to sit around and think of stupid things.
Humans invented the gods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.