Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:31 AM

264 posts, read 694,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
ACK! Cough! *(sorry, my cherry koolaid just went airborne)

Hold the cell phone there. Are you a Phelpsidian in disguise?!

Who said all of Minnesota or even a majority were "tolerant" of gays? Good night. Contrary to Phelpish beliefs, God does not practice random acts of destruction to "punish" innocent people "to express his displeasure".

Here is a less sinister scenario... Could it be this bridge was simply beyond its shelf life and the collapse has nothing to do with personal beliefs/politics, etc... or I am I reaching here?!

or maybe phelpypoo is right and heard a voice saying
"BEHOLD, DON"T MAKE ME SMITE THY BRIDGES, THOU FAIRY-LOVIN VIKING FANS"
...I'm hardly a "Phelpsidian" (great word, by the way!) No, I just can't help noticing that the God of Genesis is supposed to be the same God who's around today, the one whose character isn't ever supposed to change.

I don't know where you live, but if you happen to reside in the twin cities, then I don't need to explain what the word "uptown" means there.

Minnesota is arguably one of the most liberal states in the union. A former resident of Minneapolis described it to me as the most humorlessly politically correct town he'd ever been in.

Lest there be any misunderstanding, Rev. Phelps and I disagree about a great many things, including the meaning of misfortune. Nevertheless, if you were to ask me if his beliefs are without any biblical foundation, I'd have to say no. If it weren't for the Bible, neither you nor I would ever have heard his name.

Last edited by Bellinghamite; 08-11-2007 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: add text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 01:17 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
...I'm hardly a "Phelpsidian" (great word, by the way!) No, I just can't help noticing that the God of Genesis is supposed to be the same God who's around today, the one whose character isn't ever supposed to change.

I don't know where you live, but if you happen to reside in the twin cities, then I don't need to explain what the word "uptown" means there.

Minnesota is arguably one of the most liberal states in the union. A former resident of Minneapolis described it to me as the most humorlessly politically correct town he'd ever been in.

Lest there be any misunderstanding, Rev. Phelps and I disagree about a great many things, including the meaning of misfortune. Nevertheless, if you were to ask me if his beliefs are without any biblical foundation, I'd have to say no. If it weren't for the Bible, neither you nor I would ever have heard his name.
Hmmmm, so you condone and agree with the notion that was cited regarding Hurricane Katrina and the fact that the hurricane supposedly happened because of the "gay pride parade" that was supposed to have been held there?
Here's only a couple of examples:
Alternative theories regarding Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans: God’s Judgment? (http://www.escapeallthesethings.com/katrina-new-orleans-hurricane.htm - broken link)
Tolerance.org: In Katrina's Wake

If you're siding with Phelps, I think you should research God a little better and/or at minimum, do a little self reflection.

Whether or not the Bible states homosexuality is wrong, that SURE DOES NOT MEAN that God is to blame for these disasters NOR is He responsible for LOONIES like Phelps...BTW, do you know how easy it is to get a certificate ONLINE these days so that you can call yourself a "reverend" or "pastor"? He's neither! He's nothing more than a FRAUD that obtained his "label" out of a Cracker Jack box

Old 08-11-2007, 06:19 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Default Phelps=the puss oozing sore on the inner thigh of humanity

Actually, it wasn't the bible that brought Phelps into my realm of experience. I saw him in person in Topeka, KS way back in the late 80's picketing on street corners with his little 5 yr old grandsons.

I related that chance meeting on a thread a while back. He used to wear biker shorts (ala Lance Armstrong) to his protests and it always struck me as odd, that here is a man protesting homosexuality with signs that say God hates ****, etc while wearing speedo shorts to show off his wee wee.

So I, being the typical college prankster that I was, rolled down my car window and yelled, "Hey Fred, lookin good in those speedos! Woo-hoo! Show me whatcha got, baby!" His face turned beet red and he started SPEWING his love of god in my direction, which of course made me laugh even harder. Ahh, those were the days.

Anyway, If I remember my college book learnin correctly, there were some who said diseases like cholera were god's wrath raining down on mankind due to *enter your choice of sins here" in the 19th century.

ho hum, time for me to turn the page. Heard it before, and give it my usual hrrumph.

Golly gee, I wonder which innocents god will kill next to show us his displeasure? Topple a high electrical wire tower onto a preschool? Burn down a sweat shop factory in china because they make Nike shoes for pit bull fighting football heros?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:41 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
if you were to ask me if his beliefs are without any biblical foundation, I'd have to say no.
Bellinghamite:

While I would submit to you that his beliefs are something that he, (along with everyone else in this world) is entitled to, his ACTIONS perhaps are not exactly consistent with his Christian "message."

???

Take gentle care...

Old 08-11-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Hmmmm, so you condone and agree with the notion that was cited regarding Hurricane Katrina and the fact that the hurricane supposedly happened because of the "gay pride parade" that was supposed to have been held there?
When did I ever say that? As I wrote previously, Phelps and I disagree about the meaning of misfortune.

Quote:
If you're siding with Phelps, I think you should research God a little better and/or at minimum, do a little self reflection.
See above.

Quote:
Whether or not the Bible states homosexuality is wrong, that SURE DOES NOT MEAN that God is to blame for these disasters NOR is He responsible for LOONIES like Phelps
I don't think so, either. However, I have known many, many Christians who insist that absolutely everything in the Bible is accurate and reliable. If a person's going to insist that the entire biblical text is literally true, then, logically, he has to accept the idea that God can choose to punish sin with natural disaster, for example, the Deluge.

Quote:
...BTW, do you know how easy it is to get a certificate ONLINE these days so that you can call yourself a "reverend" or "pastor"? He's neither! He's nothing more than a FRAUD that obtained his "label" out of a Cracker Jack box
Obtaining a certificate of ordination as a minister is extremely easy (Tori Spelling recently got one and officiated at a gay wedding.) As for Phelps, I'll have to get in touch with Cracker Jack and get back to you on that.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:51 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:

Yes I do live in the Twin Cities and know Uptown. I've driven through there and know that is the general area for the gay crowd. I lived in Portland, Oregon and Stark Street was quite the hub of activity. And in Denver and Indy there is a sizable gay crowd there too. I'd say that most any large city that you go to in the U.S. has a gay section of town. But how about San Francisco? The most notable gay community in the world. Why not the Golden Gate bridge or the bay bridge?

My point is that gay people are everywhere and to say that God is raining down his wrath on Minneapolis/St. Paul because of its liberalism is hooey. There are so many strong Christians in this state that do not agree with this lifestyle. Did you know that one of the people who died was a missionary to Africa? If God was smiting the TC for its acceptance of homosexuality then why wasn't the bridge filled with gays instead of people like a gramma, and a missionary who are only two who perished? And why did one guy live who is now in police custody on charges of abusing his fiance's 2 year old? They were on the bridge and their Jeep went under water...yet he lived.

As a believer and a guy who has come out of the gay life I find Mr. Phelps and anyone who agrees with this philosophy a bad example of Christianity. And believe me God will judge Phelps for his actions. And wouldn't it be nice if he judged Mr. Phelps by the standard he judges others? I think that would be a worse judgement than God would dole out.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:10 AM

10,176 posts, read 11,159,885 times
He's a piece of crap - Can I say that? How can someone claim he's Christian when he's judging people left and right. He's the devil in disguise...

He protested in a town, when I lived in KS - It was for a fallen Soldier....
The Patriot Guard Riders wre there as well.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:04 PM

543 posts, read 2,309,521 times
I honestly think he is nuts! He is not a Christian, he is a publicity seeker.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Yes I do live in the Twin Cities and know Uptown. I've driven through there and know that is the general area for the gay crowd. I lived in Portland, Oregon and Stark Street was quite the hub of activity. And in Denver and Indy there is a sizable gay crowd there too. I'd say that most any large city that you go to in the U.S. has a gay section of town. But how about San Francisco? The most notable gay community in the world. Why not the Golden Gate bridge or the bay bridge?

My point is that gay people are everywhere and to say that God is raining down his wrath on Minneapolis/St. Paul because of its liberalism is hooey. There are so many strong Christians in this state that do not agree with this lifestyle. Did you know that one of the people who died was a missionary to Africa? If God was smiting the TC for its acceptance of homosexuality then why wasn't the bridge filled with gays instead of people like a gramma, and a missionary who are only two who perished? And why did one guy live who is now in police custody on charges of abusing his fiance's 2 year old? They were on the bridge and their Jeep went under water...yet he lived.

As a believer and a guy who has come out of the gay life I find Mr. Phelps and anyone who agrees with this philosophy a bad example of Christianity. And believe me God will judge Phelps for his actions. And wouldn't it be nice if he judged Mr. Phelps by the standard he judges others? I think that would be a worse judgement than God would dole out.
These are questions you should ask Phelps, not me.

I grew up in Seattle, which is America's gayest city after SF. I remember the day in 1980 when Mount St. Helens blew its stack. The eruption killed numerous people within in a fifty-mile radius of the mountain and the ash fell on cities hundreds of miles away--but not on Seattle. I guess God got the wind pattern wrong or something.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:07 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The loudest dissenters always turn out to be guilty. If Fred Phelps doesn't have a f***boy on the downlow, then I'm not a gay man!
Keen observation. Phelps spends way too much time obsessing over gays. Sounds like he's dealing with an internal battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality