Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:27 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,208,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I say yes. Different interpretations, different traditions, yes. Different God? No. All three worship the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Discuss.

Peace!
brian
I agree with you Brian...but I would also include ALL religions. If one studies the different religions, there are common threads to them all which connect them. Like you said, they may have different interpretations, different doctrines and traditions but when one examines the bare bones of them...they are ALL the same and they ALL worship the SAME God.

We ALL came from the SAME SOURCE, no matter what label one puts on that SOURCE, it is the SAME SOURCE and one to which we will ALL return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
IMO, there is one God/Creator whom people see differences in because of whatever doctrine, book or man they happen to follow.. whatever culture, environment, etc they were born into.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,118,969 times
Quote:
Judaism, Christianity and Islam: the same God?
Presumably. These three religions are bound together by certain prophets. They are known collectively as the Abrahmic Religions.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 PM

591 posts, read 641,102 times
The God of Islam hates Christians and Jews. The Koran teaches Muslims to not make friends with Christians or Jews, and any Christian or Jew that doesn't consider Muhammad God's prophet should pay a tax, and that if a Muslim kills a fellow Muslim, the penalty is death, but if a Muslim kills a Christian or Jew, no problem. Muhammad went on a genocidal rampage against the Jews. He killed, pillaged, raped, and enslaved 1000's of Jews. And according to many,many hate speeches in the Koran, all Christians and Jews are going to burn in Hellfire.

The God of the Bible hates evil, sin, and a threat to him and his people. "Allah" hates Christians and Jews. It doesn't matter if you are sinful in Islam, just so long as you show nothing but love for Muhammad, then Allah loves you. The God of the Bible hated King David when he killed a man to have his woman. Muhammad killed 1000's of Jews to take the women and children into sex slavery.

The Islam religion is an offense to civil human rights to all religions. It is designed to oppress anyone who doesn't bow to Muhammad. Anyone who spoke out against Muhammad, Muhammad had killed. Islam actually forces people to tolerate all the evil sins Muhammad committed against humanity(theft, mass murder, pedophelia..etc), while teaches hatred for any other religion. That means that Islam hates all that is Holy, and loves all that is sinful. While the God of the Bible hates all that is sinful/evil, and loves all that is Holy and good.

Last edited by Ball Pean; 07-19-2011 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 03:59 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I just read what I wrote on the other thread. Yikes, I was unclear.
Thanks for the clarification, then.

Quote:
What I meant was, the folks who say the 3 religions worship the same god try to minimize the differences between those religions' gods, hoping it leads to everyone feeling good.
I understand what you're saying, but here's my perspective... I feel that it's a mistake to pretend that the differences in our beliefs don't exist. They do exist, and they're significant. On the other hand, I feel that it's a mistake to deny the things we have in common. I think all three traditions would agree that God created our universe, and placed Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. I think we would all agree that He called certain prophets, such as Noah and Abraham, spoke to them and interacted with them. There weren't three different Gods who all have the same early history in dealing with mankind. (Granted, I know less about Islam than I do about Judaism and less about Judaism than I do about Christianity. Still, I think there are certain points on which the three can agree.)

Quote:
Answer me this. Jews and Muslims don't believe their gods had a son. Christians believe their god had a son, a divine son. How can their gods be the same ? Are the people who follow each of those religions mistaken, and whether they know it or not, worship the same god ?
Let me put it this way... Let's look at a human being today that we all know to be real -- Barack Obama. Many people believe him to be a Christian. Many others doubt that to be the case. They are convinced that he is a Muslim. Most Americans will probably concede that Obama was born in America. Some, however, are still convinced that he wasn't. When these people get together and talk about Obama, are they talking about two individuals or just one? I believe that some people are mistaken about some of the things they believe about God, but that they still believe in the same Divine Being.

If a Christian mother prays to God, asking Him to heal her critically ill child, if a Jewish mother prays to God, asking Him to heal her critically ill child, and if a Muslim mother prays to God, asking Him to heal her critically ill child -- and if all three critically ill children are, in fact, healed as a result of those prayers, I don't believe that three different Gods heard and answered those mothers' prayers.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Presumably. These three religions are bound together by certain prophets. They are known collectively as the Abrahmic Religions.
Everybody keeps forgetting the 4th abrahmic Faith, the Sabians(Mandeeans) (Baptizers).

The Majority of the four faiths strongly believe all 4 worship the same God(swt). Virtually all Jews, Sabians and Muslims believe they worship the same God(swt) However some fringe groups of Christians believe they worship a different God. Listening to their beliefs I definitely agree they are not worshiping the same God(swt) Muslims, Jews, Sabians and most Christians worship. But they are free to worship as they please.

As for Prophets we all agree that the Jewish Prophets were true Prophets. Beyond the Judaic Prophets we do disagree over the Prophet-hood of John the Baptist, Jesus, and Muhammad (Peace be upon all of Them) Muslims accept all 3 as being Prophets in addition to the OT Prophets. The sabians accept only John the Baptist in addition to the OT prophets The Jews do not accept any of the three. Most Christians accept John the Baptist as a Prophet, but Believe Jesus is the Son of God.

So if we follow the Prophets of the OT we must be believing in the same God(swt) but with some differences in attributes.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Judaism and Christianity: Yes, the same God. Both faiths believe in the promises made by God to Abraham, Issac and Jacob and stand upon those promises. We differ on who the Messiah is, (so far), but we're rooted in the God of the Bible.

Islam: No, not the same God. Their god is untrustworthy because he took back the promises he made to Abraham, Issac and Jacob and gave them to someone else. Unless our "common" god is a liar, it can't possibly be the same god.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Islam: No, not the same God. Their god is untrustworthy because he took back the promises he made to Abraham, Issac and Jacob and gave them to someone else. Unless our "common" god is a liar, it can't possibly be the same god.
Unless you believe as us Muslims believe that the first 3 revelations Tauret, Zaboor and Injil did not remain in their original form and through the errors of man parts were lost. some parts changed. possibly through mistranslations and possibly some additions were made to serve some wrong doers. God(swt) is free from error and falsehoods, but the first 3 revelations were in the care of mankind, which is human and capable of human frailties.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Unless you believe as us Muslims believe that the first 3 revelations Tauret, Zaboor and Injil did not remain in their original form and through the errors of man parts were lost. some parts changed. possibly through mistranslations and possibly some additions were made to serve some wrong doers. God(swt) is free from error and falsehoods, but the first 3 revelations were in the care of mankind, which is human and capable of human frailties.
I'm sorry, but I don't buy that simply because a God capable of inspiring men to write the message He wanted delivered to mankind is also capable of preserving His word. If He's not capable, then He's not a God worth worshipping.

Once again, I must note that every single, solitary religion I know of which denies Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and Him risen, STARTS with the supposition that the Bible has been corrupted.

I don't think that's a co-incidence.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't buy that simply because a God capable of inspiring men to write the message He wanted delivered to mankind is also capable of preserving His word. If He's not capable, then He's not a God worth worshipping.

Once again, I must note that every single, solitary religion I know of which denies Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and Him risen, STARTS with the supposition that the Bible has been corrupted.

I don't think that's a co-incidence.
No it is not a coincidence. It is a fact. the bible of today is not the Bible that was revealed to the Prophets(PBUT) but some parts of it may be retained. Looking at the NT it is very apparent. Jesus(as) preached publicly for 3years, but only a remnant of what he said has been retained. What does exist are the opinions of those who saw him and these opinions eventually became the Gospels of Mark, Luke, Matthew and John. Yet even with these we have no verification of who the authors were. The books were written in Koin Greek after the fact and the original Aramaic of Jesus(as) was not preserved. We do not know with any verifiable sources what Jesus(as) did say. It should also be noted that there were other Gospels written. But it seems the council of Nicea chose to keep only those that supported Paul. The other books were removed and called gnostic. Odd that the gospel of Peter would be considered gnostic. Along with the gospels of Thomas and Barnabas. Perhaps it is because in those 3 it was stated that Jesus(as) was seen sitting in a tree watching the Crucifixion

The Jews admit that the Tauret was rewritten at least once. They also agree that the Christian interpretation of it does not agree with the Jewish interpretation.

Quote:
Jewish History Re-written

In the Jerusalem Post’s magazine dated the 25th March 2011, the editor published a reply from Jonathan Rosenblum to a letter from a Mr. J.J. Cross in which J.R. says “I would only note that the Torah proper includes both the written Torah and the oral Torah without which much of the former cannot be understood.” This belief is often repeated by rabbis. In fact, a few years ago, an article by Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, published in the Jewish chronicle, discusses this belief with regards to the differences between the Sadducees (the priests) and Pharisees (the rabbis) and their respective approach to Judaism. He made a number of points which I now summarise. He wrote: - both groups valued Torah. Both cherished the land of Israel. The Pharisees believed in the oral law; the Sadducees did not. The Sadducees interpreted the words of the Torah literally. The Pharisees relied on ancient tradition to teach that since there were gaps and ambiguities in the written text, the written text was not always to be taken literally. From the outset it had been supplemented by a set of unwritten traditions, passed down from teacher to disciple, since the days of Moses.

SOURCE

Quote:
What "misinterpretation" are Christians and Catholics guilty of? Let us count the ways:
  • Borrowing the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and immediately changing His Word to reflect "another Gospel" - one that does not include His original, divine teachings (Torah).
  • Misinterpreting the difference between "the law" (rabbinical rules and concepts) and "Torah" (YHWH's Divine Instructions in Righteousness) and insisting that "Jesus" nailed them to the cross.
  • Changing YHWH's moedim - His appointed times/feasts and the seventh day Sabbath.
  • Giving Y'shua a new name, a new birthday, a bogus resurrection date, and basically turning Him into a blond, blue-eyed adonis who in no way resembles the Jewish Torah observant, tallit-wearing, seventh day Sabbath and Feast-keeping, kosher Jew.
  • Insisting "the Jews" are going to hell because of their refusal to "believe" in the Christian God who supposedly abolished Torah, His seventh-day Sabbath and the Biblical Feasts....
SOURCE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality