U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 AM

1,756 posts, read 2,658,100 times
Default Why Do Christians Shout And Praise God For Making Them Inferior To The Jews?

Once I was at a church and the preacher said "...and the Jews are God's chosen people", then all of the sudden, the entire church began jumping and shouting "Praise God, Praise God, halleluah".

Why do Christians praise God for being created inferior to another race or religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 AM

40,060 posts, read 18,459,372 times
A demonstration of what's known in Yiddish as goyishe kopf.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:53 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,134,030 times
Christians consider themselves v. 2.0 of "God's chosen people". An update, if you will.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 PM

13,859 posts, read 12,582,382 times
As I understand it Jews being "chosen" is not necessarily a sign they are a superior people. It's a sign they are "special", and have been selected to be an example in a way, but Jews feel "Righteous Gentiles" deserve praise and honor too. In some ways it's easier to be a "Righteous Gentile" than it is to be a "Righteous Jew", in Jewish though, as Gentiles only have to obey the Noahide rules and their conscience. More is expected of Jews.

I don't think my Church does what you claim, but the idea that the Jews are still selected for a special job I believe is seen as affirming the Bible and the prophecies. Even in Catholicism the continued survival of the Jews was seen as a grand thing even though Catholics traditionally deemed Jews to be "Half-Faithful" (per-fidelis) and ignorant/"in-darkness." (Eastern Orthodoxy was at times about the same) This is because most Christians believed the Jews would need to live on until end-times as the conversion of the Jews was relevant to prophecies about it. Catholics rarely speak of "end-times" but priests I've seen seemed to agree with preachers that the conversion of the Jews is part of it.

Many Evangelical and Pentecostal Protestants discuss the end-times a good deal more. They also see the Protestant Bible as virtually everything. So the Jews role can be quite important. Catholics and mainline Protestants tend to be mixed or neutral on Israel. Evangelical Protestants, particularly in North America, tend to be highly pro-Israel. The Jews and Israel as a people chosen for a role in history is vital and something they think about. Other Christians I think also believe in the Jews having a special role in history, pretty much all affirm their role in Pre-Christian history, but I don't think emphasize it in the same way or as often.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 PM

11,441 posts, read 8,474,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Once I was at a church and the preacher said "...and the Jews are God's chosen people", then all of the sudden, the entire church began jumping and shouting "Praise God, Praise God, halleluah".

Why do Christians praise God for being created inferior to another race or religion?
Christians don't have the reputation for logic or reason.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Christians don't have the reputation for logic or reason.
If you mean not believing only in logic and reason that's correct. If you mean not valuing any logic or reason that's incorrect. In the last century or so the following logicians have been Christian or even ministers/friars/monks.

Jzef Maria Bocheński
Bastiaan Cornelis van Fraassen
Peter Geach
Kurt Godel (Theist anyway)
John Venn (Venn diagrams fame, seems to have been an Anglican priest though had struggles)

But it's okay, anti-theists like you don't have the reputation for knowledge of history or society.)

Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 AM

4,662 posts, read 1,522,425 times
Is it really surprising considering Christianity is an anti-human religion? I mean this is the same religion that teaches that mankind is utterly worthless and depraved and that without our beloved sky daddy we could do nothing. And if you say kindly "thank you Yahweh but no thanks, I'll find my own way," well Yahweh will flick your insignificant depraved body into the Lake of Fire.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 AM

Not all Christians are Calvinists.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 AM

16,311 posts, read 13,146,144 times
Why Do Christians Shout And Praise God For Making Them Inferior To The Jews?

Given that they believe in a god in the first places shows that they are very susceptible to believing in any absurdity.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:28 AM

4,662 posts, read 1,522,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Not all Christians are Calvinists.
Yes, but essentially all Christians believe that without Jesus we'd all go to hell and that most of humanity is going to hell. They may not think that humanity is completely depraved but they believe that god is much greater than humanity and us humans are nothing compared to him.

Christianity also teaches the abomination of "original sin," or the idea that we are born guilty by virtue of being human. Christianity is built upon guilt, it relies on it's adherents feelings of guilt to stay in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality