Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 PM

154 posts, read 391,482 times

Advertisements

I dont understand why everyone needs to always have an already man made idea or theory for why we are here, has anyone ever thought our creation could be something we have never imagined before ?

Evolution, the missing link and not having an explanation for how the process began in such an orchestrated and calculated manner is ridiculous.
Religion thinking God just showed up one day without a femanine idenity and no origin is equally incomplete. Obviously, I am only human and do not know how we became, just how we probably did not become.

Have you ever thought every human theory will be wrong in the end (whenever that is ).

Do athiest /christians ever think about what was before our beginning. What made big bang and what made the big bang before the big bang and so on. Christians do you think God had a creator?

It seems scientists and christians alike never REALLY think about it, they just spit out some trained answer, like a babiedoll with a pull sting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 11:02 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,603,781 times
A lot of people do want to know how, or when things began. Some choose religion, but not for that reason alone. Others want to know from observing the world around them and growing their knowledge based on those observations.

Others (I guess) are happy not knowing. I'll go down the science path. It doesn't provide all the answers, but I prefer the results.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,202,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post
I dont understand why everyone needs to always have an already man made idea or theory for why we are here, has anyone ever thought our creation could be something we have never imagined before ?
The only canned man made ideas come from religion. Science has a method that allows it to be empirically challenged. Religious ideas cannot be challenged except by exposing them by what science has discovered and what it refutes in religious texts.
Quote:

Evolution, the missing link and not having an explanation for how the process began in such an orchestrated and calculated manner is ridiculous.
There is no missing link. You should read up some papers on evolution. You are in fact an ape, you are related to apes.All have a common ancestor. Evolution is not a linear progression
Quote:
Religion thinking God just showed up one day without a femanine idenity and no origin is equally incomplete. Obviously, I am only human and do not know how we became, just how we probably did not become.
Yes god(s) showed up when man invented him/them. There is a lot science does not know either but at least we search for answers instead of accepting myths as the default position. You have to actually educate yourself in this field, there are no quick sound bytes that will enlighten you. Some may offer some reading materials but all my research has been on my own over a period of 10 years plus I had a proper education in the sciences.
Quote:
Have you ever thought every human theory will be wrong in the end (whenever that is ).
If they are wrong, we can dismiss them or replace them with new hypothesis or theories. Bear in mind theory in science is not the same as in layman's terms. By virtue of the scientific method, evolution is accepted as fact just as gravity is accepted as fact. Both are theories.
Quote:
Do athiest /christians ever think about what was before our beginning. What made big bang and what made the big bang before the big bang and so on.
The is cosmological evidence of a big bang in an ever expanding universe, what was before is termed a singularity and no one knows what was before the BB
Quote:
Christians do you think God had a creator?

It seems scientists and christians alike never REALLY think about it, they just spit out some trained answer, like a babiedoll with a pull sting.
The religious are the ones providing canned answers. We refute them daily and they never bring any new evidence to prove their assertions. All we get are anecdotal offerings which of course no one can test. The bible is pretty well refuted by science and there is a plethora of evidence to support that. To review takes due diligence and much reading. The godunnit approach requires no intellectual discourse and is the lazy way out.

The bible is not inerrant and contains many errors and archaic thinking.

I addressed this in the thread "How did religion start"

Old 07-20-2011, 11:46 PM

I respect science can prove many things, but after all the brain of man/his scientific theories are imperfect just as mans writings are (bible)....

Christians only can give their pull string programmed answers when asked what is before God or who created God. I would love to hear someone on the side of science brainstorm what was before the beginning of what man knows at this point.....You have to eventually get to a creator at the end of all science theories, only to end up with who created the creator. It seems none of us are right, I certainly do not know or claim to, it just amazes me science believers and christians can be so confident when not even half the pieces of the puzzle are there in either case.

If an alien lifeform shows up one day and we find out to be created by them and the insane details continue when they explain their creation.....concluding scientists and christians alike are just dumb animals, who have all guessed wrong.......
I dont know why so many people do not consider that the answer.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,025,334 times
For no understandable reason you are hurling through space on a huge rock. Religion says a spirit in the heavens created it, science says you can create something from nothing with a big bang....mind blown.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,141,147 times
What is "perfect"? The brain of man isn't perfect, but the scientific method is for its purpose. Don't forget: garbahe in, garbage out. I'll take it any day over theology. Scientists don't "guess"; they hypothesize and come up with a theory which is testable. Religion is more like a guess, although most of it is quite calculated to control and make money.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:11 AM

33,512 posts, read 37,076,354 times
Science is not wrong. How can it be since it is nothing more than a method we use for discovery...The word science is not a noun, it is an adjective.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 AM

Im using the word science in place of "evolution", "big bang", ect...

I am just curious what evolutionist/athiest fill that space with (that huge space before what we 'think' we can prove or know of our creation.)

I have no idea what it is, I just think it is nothing previously thought of. My best guess would be that another life form/planet had something to do with us, but of course that leads to a huge blank as well. For athiest/evolutionist and those who believe science, what would be your educated guess......does your guessing ever lead to any form of God, creator, wizard or alien life form who created us at the end of all theories?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,202,394 times
Quote:
I respect science can prove many things, but after all the brain of man/his scientific theories are imperfect just as mans writings are (bible)....
Scientific Theories are already accepted as fact. Do you not believe in gravity? It is after all just a theory. Scientists do not study for 5-7 years then suck ideas out of their thumbs.
Quote:

Christians only can give their pull string programmed answers when asked what is before God or who created God. I would love to hear someone on the side of science brainstorm what was before the beginning of what man knows at this point.....
We don't know
Quote:
You have to eventually get to a creator at the end of all science theories, only to end up with who created the creator. It seems none of us are right, I certainly do not know or claim to, it just amazes me science believers and christians can be so confident when not even half the pieces of the puzzle are there in either case.
Religious folk only have ancient texts that do not reflect reality. Science is not a pursuit of knowledge with a view to finding out origins alone. If you think science is stupid then the folk who invested billions on the Hadron Collider must all be fools.

The religious woos fear they will create a back hole that will suck the earth into it. Which group do you think has anything to offer to the advancement of mankind?
Quote:
If an alien lifeform shows up one day and we find out to be created by them and the insane details continue when they explain their creation.....concluding scientists and christians alike are just dumb animals, who have all guessed wrong.......
I dont know why so many people do not consider that the answer.
Because that is mere speculation and differs little from the concept of a man-mad god. There always seems to be a need for a designer as xians see the world as orderly when in fact it is not.

Evolution over billions of years has brought us to where we are today.

The simple test for any theist is to simply prove that their god exists outside of emotions and anecdotal "evidence" that everyone can test. That is not possible as the whole premise of religion is based solely on faith. Science is not based on faith as it has evidence to back up its claims.

The bible was written at a time when folk still believed in a flat geocentric earth. We now know that is not true as scientific advancements has shown that to be in error. Oh and for the apologists viz the poles and compass direction, it was the Chinese and Vikings that invented the magnetic compass. Link

Many ancient cultures were far more advanced than the Jews and the offshoot Greco/Roman xian religion and made connections to contellations of stars to match their seasons and erected monuments that matched these constellations. Take the Mayans for example. Had they been the "chosen" we might have been further along in science than we are now.

Scientific advancement was quelled by the RCC like when Galileo suggested we were not geocentric but heliocentric. Only recently did the RCC apologize for the errors of their ways, he was after all right.

It is only since the reformation of the 1600's and specifically the last two hundred years that science has been able to move forward with immunity form the church. Had this not happened, we could have likely still be in the dark ages aka church age.

lastly, the only way out of our "dumbness" is pursuing the scientific route as that is the only way where we still discover stuff. Religious texts merely show how ignorant the ancients were and it is odd with all this scientific proof and reality, folk still adhere to these ancient musings.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,705,560 times
Quote:
Sure. But I have a higher standard than "maybe possibly could be" before I'm willing to believe in something.

Quote:
Yeah, sorry for sticking to discussing things which are well-evidenced and understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality