Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Atheists annoy you?
Yes 16 8.79%
No 118 64.84%
Sometimes 6 3.30%
Just the militant, aggressive Atheists 42 23.08%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:55 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abf5000 View Post
Something can't come from nothing though.
Who says it can....other than Creationists and, so it would appear, you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 01:53 PM

439 posts, read 556,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Of course it's not logical for a door to ask a question. I'm not sure where your from, but in these parts, doors (and windows ) don't talk. I'm starting to think you might spend too much time reading that book of yours and not enough time thinking things out. Perhaps the two are related?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Huh??

?

Measuring the representation of judging on things misplaced

the door does not have the same attributes as me

also i do not have the same attributes as God

it is beyond the ability for the door to ask me how i existed

also it is beyond my ability to ask God how he existed .

Old 07-23-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmessage View Post

also it is beyond my ability to ask God how he existed .
Oh right! It's just that there are so many theist on here that appear to know what their god likes and doesn't like, what he thinks and doesn't think, what he means and doesn't mean, what time he gets up and what time he goes to bed, what beer he drinks, his favourite food, which team he supports, how many time he goes to the loo every day, what he's going to do and what he isn't going to do and when he's going to do it....

...on and on and on ad nauseam. I thought you might have the same sort of privileged inside information as them. Never mind.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Well, the militant ones at least anyway.What really irritates me about these atheists is how easily they are led by so called science.

How much faith do you have to have to believe in spontaneous generation and that uni-cellular organisms have always existed?

Think about it, how cynical are you to look at the perfection of this environment and say it all started as a pool of super heated ooze or primordial soup completely unguided via naturalistic means. Then they take all these unproven theories like Abiogenesis and Spontaneous Generation and treat them as if they're fact.

The real problem with these people is that the vast majority have never taken the time to read the bible , let alone get a Strong's concordance and go back to the original Hebrew , Greek and Aramaic manuscripts. They take a couple of verses from the bible and twist it to their line of thought, without following the subject and object of the chapter to make an uninformed skewed view to degrade individuals' beliefs. Don't get me wrong, I still don't hate or dislike Atheists, I have a very close friend who's an Atheist, and I love her a lot like a sister. I'm not a Christian either in case you're wondering. I'm a Deist. I think something created all this, who or what though I have no idea. Something can't come from nothing though.
Quote:
Like I said, I don't hate or dislike them, but the militant ones like the New Atheists act just like the religious fanatics they dislike. Also, why do they gather in groups and at meetings? So, you guys get together because of your shared lack of belief? Is that really a good reason to gather? You could have nothing in common besides that.
Quote:
I'm a Deist, not a Christian. Like I said, why can't there be both evolution and intelligent design? Unlike a lot of Atheists, I respect the good Christianity and religion has done for society and give it credit for it. I don't bash religious people either. Also, I don't know any militant atheists, so I can't ask one.
So, I'm trying to sort this all out. You start a thread about how atheists annoy you. Then you say - only the militant ones annoy you. Then you say how you don't hate or dislike anyone - but yet, you started a whole thread about how they annoy you. You disagree with their beliefs (which you don't seem to clearly understand) and you think they should all read the bible? How about the Torah and the Koran and all the other holy books out there? Have you read every single holy book? Also - you question why they gather in groups... Who cares? I'm in a book club - we gather in a group. Does that bother you? We like to read and we like to discuss the books that we have read. Maybe we have nothing at all in common otherwise. Maybe the atheists in groups like to discuss atheism. I'm not sure why you have such a problem with that. Do you also have a problem with people going to churches or temples or mosques? I mean, these people could have nothing in common besides their religion! I mean - the nerve of all these people choosing to gather in groups!!!

And then - to top it all off - you say you don't even know any militant atheists!!! So then, what's your problem? People that you don't know annoy you? How does that work?

Old 07-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
How does that work?
Don't try to work it out Dewdrop...it will give you nightmares.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM

439 posts, read 556,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Oh right! It's just that there are so many theist on here that appear to know what their god likes .

here is somthing that Allah told us about him

Allah. There is no god but He,-the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him nor sleep. His are all things in the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede in His presence except as He permitteth? He knoweth what (appeareth to His creatures as) before or after or behind them. Nor shall they compass aught of His knowledge except as He willeth. His Throne doth extend over the heavens and the earth, and He feeleth no fatigue in guarding and preserving them for He is the Most High, the Supreme (in glory).

Say: He, Allah, is One.
Allah is He on Whom all depend.
He begets not, nor is He begotten.
And none is like Him.

The Originator of the heavens and the earth; He made mates for you from among yourselves, and mates of the cattle too, multiplying you thereby; nothing like a likeness of Him; and He is the Hearing, the Seeing.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
If one takes a look at the reality of true militants, it seems that they all have some holy book to justify their militancy.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:32 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If one takes a look at the reality of true militants, it seems that they all have some holy book to justify their militancy.
Exactly.

Last time I heard atheists weren't flying planes into buildings or opening fire on innocent children.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:54 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmessage View Post
here is somthing that Allah told us about him

Allah. There is no god but He,-the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him nor sleep. His are all things in the heavens and on earth.
It sounds like this Allah guy is kind of full of himself. I generally don't trust people like that.

Are you really a Muslim? I thought true Muslims always wrote '(pbuh)' after they mention Allah. Are you just a poser?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:
I brought up the Bible because I think there is some good material and lessons in there even if you take out the God parts. Jesus' overall philosophy was 1.Love God 2.Love everyone else. I feel the Christian religion at its most purest, real form, is a religion of tolerance, love and peace. It is misrepresented, skewed, and twisted by a lot of Christian leaders today. In short, a lot of Christians don't act very Christ-like at all. I used to be a Christian too, then I became a Deist. I'm also ticked off by how some Atheists misrepresent the Bible and mock and degrade beliefs that others hold sacred. There is usually no need for that. Have some respect, a few of the Christians I've known were some of the nicest, kindest people I've ever met, and would be deeply offended and hurt if you compared their beliefs to worshiping a ''Flying Spaghetti Monster.'' There's nothing wrong with mocking angry,hateful, and intolerant Christians' beliefs though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
The bibles message in the NT is not about love at all. It is an extension of the intolerance of the OT. Much of the bible simply doesn't hold up to any scientifical scrutiny, it is full of untruths about all kinds of things. Most importantly if you analyse scripture in any depth you will find glaringly obvious faults that cannot be ignored and glossed over. Atheists do not misrepresent the bible, it does that all by itself.

Let me reiterate, the biblical message is NOT about love.
I completely agree, Djuna. Jesus' message was a Jewish message. He reminds his followers, "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill" (Matthew 5:17), which presumably includes all the horrific laws contained in the Pentateuch. Many of those are the opposite of love, peace and tolerance.

I don't understand why you feel the need to protect and defend Christianity from nonbelievers, but do not offer the same to Hindus, Muslims, or Sikhs. There's a definite bias here.

Quote:
No Ma'am, that's not what I'm saying.I know Christianity has a very bloody history, and a record of hatred and intolerance. I'm also aware that there are quite a few immoral passages/things in the Bible,I'm not denying that. That's one of the reasons I'm not a Christian. You guys don't give any credit to the good things that have come from religion/the bible though, you just look at the bad side.MLK Jr. was a Christian, for instance.Religion also provides some kind of moral basis for your actions, in Atheism, everything is relative.Like I said, someone I have a close relationship with is an Atheist, and couldn't care less that she doesn't believe in God. However, I still wish the Militant Atheists would have more respect for others' beliefs that, in many cases, are very important to them. That ''Believe what we say or burn in Hell for eternity'' garbage that many Christians believe disgusts me too. Also, I'm interested in the Bible because I used to be a Christian, and the Bible is imbedded in our culture and is represented everywhere in it, or at least in many places.
What an all-encompassing, unfair assertion: "You guys don't give any credit to the good things that have come from religion/the bible though, you just look at the bad side"!

First, who are "you guys"? Second, what "good things" do you mean? If MLKJ is your example, I'd actually argue that he used the scriptures that worked to his advantages. There are far more references to slaves behaving themselves and servants obeying their masters than there are about equality. As humans have become more peaceful, more tolerant, and more embracing, the bible has been reapplied and reinterpreted through a better moral lens, which leads me to my third point: the bible provides us with anything BUT an objective moral code.

Deut. 23:1-3 (NIV)
1 No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the LORD.
2 No one born of a forbidden marriage nor any of his descendants may enter the assembly of the LORD, even down to the tenth generation.
3 No Ammonite or Moabite or any of his descendants may enter the assembly of the LORD, even down to the tenth generation.

Recall the story of Ruth. She is a Moabite who married a Jew (forbidden marriage). She goes to live with Naomi, meets Boaz, and they marry. She becomes an ancestor of King David (Ruth 4:13-22).

What happened to rules and objective morals?

What about divorce?

In the book of Ezra, those who remember, the Israelites had married foreigners so God sent rains to punish them. Ezra decides the best thing to do is to "put away" their wives. They sent the women away, divorced them (and sent the kids away too) and sacrificed to God. Evidently, God was pleased because nothing more happened.

Juxtapose this with Paul's instructions in 1 Cor. 7:12-16:

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her.
13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him.
14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.
15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.
16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

Marrying outsiders is ok sometimes and not others. Divorce is ok sometimes but not others.

What's the real difference between the OT and NT? The hundreds of years of human progress and enlightenment between them. Of course, Jesus looks good compared to Ezra! MLKJ looks better than Jesus! It's the progression of moral values, the progression toward betterment as a race. The Bible is, if examined critically, undeniably a subjective moral code. There is no objective standard.

If the slaughter of Canaanites (Joshua 6) is suppose to represent a moral God, then I and practically everyone I know is more moral than God. If what God says and does is by definition "moral", then he is not unchangeable, as the authors of Numbers, 1 Samuel, Malachi would have us believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality