Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is guilt an unnecessary emotion?
Yes 5 38.46%
No 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times

Advertisements

Why do some people think that it is a useless emotion? I mean, I don't think it's useless. It's a part of my conscience that helps me to do the right thing. So what if I should feel bad about what I did. Chances are, I may have done something wrong (though not all the time)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 12:26 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Why do some people think that it is a useless emotion? I mean, I don't think it's useless. It's a part of my conscience that helps me to do the right thing. So what if I should feel bad about what I did. Chances are, I may have done something wrong (though not all the time)
Who thinks guilt is an unecessary emotion? Why would anyone think that? Sometimes it takes a lack of guilt to correct mistakes which resulted in guilt though, to gain the strength to do so, or to move on, but then pushing aside guilt can be more painful than wallowing in it. Guilt in itself solves nothing. It's only a warning device. Some people think the smoke alarm that is guilt can put out the fire.

Of course then, there are some people who, rather than thinking the smoke alarm will put out the fire, don't listen to the smoke alarm at all. That's not good.

Also, this is coming from a fiction author. They are skilled liars. Think carefully before taking their advice, unless it's from Dr. Seuss. Dr. Seuss is very wise.

Last edited by Clintone; 07-23-2011 at 12:51 AM..

Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Guilt is a useless emotion when it is manipulated by others. If I have a fall out with my wife and feel bad when I have calmed down, I will apologize if she does not do so first. Then there are times I am justified and do not dwell on it or hold grudges.

If guilt is all that drives you to be a good person, then perhaps you need to do some introspection and see what is wrong with you. Some of us can be good for the sake of simply being good.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:24 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times
Without guilt we would be like sociopaths.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Guilt is worthless. If I mess up, I work on changing it, or if it can't be undone then I just accept it move on. Why dwell on the past? For organized religion though, guilt is great, guilt equates to be quite a few extra dollars in the collection plate. Religion swarms the guilty like sharks to blood in the water. Guilt is the life blood of religion, it's absolutely essential. If we didn't have stuff to walk around and feel bad about what would we need Jehovah for? We wouldn't need a savior if we realized we don't need one.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Oh, and for Christianity their biggest boom came from manipulating people to feel guilty for sins their fathers committed. Or to feel guilty simply for being human.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:07 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Guilt can be a useful tool for initiating change.
Too many times,probably most times, it is unjustified and therefore destructive to ones development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality