Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's only brainwashing if you disagree with what's being taught. Otherwise, it's called "educating."
Teaching myths as fact is educating? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I can understand that raising children is something fundamentally unnerving to many freethinkers. Hence why relatively few of you do it.
Where did you come up with that?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Reasonable, educated people give their lives to God every day. I know there is a God, and giving my life to Him was the best decision I ever made.
You cannot know there is a god, for there is zero evidence, you 'think' there is a god. The lack of evidence tells me there is no god, or santa, or tooth fairy, or leprechauns, or devils, or ................

Educated does not equal intelligent, it means educated. I've known many well educated idiots.

Brainwashing - a method for systematically changing attitudes or altering beliefs through the use psychological-stress techniques. And it is going on right now by misguided but well meaning parents in a home near you.

Stuff like having a child recite a prayer about "if I die before I wake......." every night before they got to bed, starting at an age when the child cannot even understand death. I consider this mental abuse, and the damage will last a life time, as exhibited in these threads.

How many times are children threatened with the nonsense of "god is watch.... blah blah blah..... and you will end up in hell" during the very important development years? From a parent they love, once is too often.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:11 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You just verified and suopported her post. Think...outside ...of the ...box.

See the other person's POV. OK? Most people think the atheist's viewpoint is delusional at best. Denying the obvious.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:14 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Post of the week!

Mrs5150 and I are regarded as regular folk. We both posses college degrees. She is an attorney (estate planning) and I am a Social Worker.

Ya know what annoys me is the tendency of atheists to portary theists are uneducated fools. Hmm...not unlike the Nazis who sterotyped Jews as moneygrubing evil folk.
I think that comparing theists and the Jews under Nazi rule is a poor comparison, both in everyday practice and eventual outcome.

I can understand why some would think like that though. The church I attended as a child seemed to cultivate a view of christians as a persecuted and oppressed group

Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
We both posses college degrees.
That is education, and does not automatically mean intelligent. The ability to absorb information in college and pass exams is a function of memory, not necessarily intelligence, it is really a discipline.

There are many intelligent people with limited education.
There are many intelligent people with significant education.
There are also many idiots with a great deal of education.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Just to be clear, that is not what I think. My post was about brainwashing in general.
Understood, and I actually found it useful for the most part.

Quote:
1: The idea that something can't be both mythical and true is your hypothesis.

2: Either way quite possibly yes. One definition of education is "the act or process of imparting or acquiring particular knowledge or skills." Knowledge of art, religion, even mythology is knowledge. It is an exchange of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That is education, and does not automatically mean intelligent. The ability to absorb information in college and pass exams is a function of memory, not necessarily intelligence, it is really a discipline.

I think it's really difficult for an outright idiot to be well-educated. Much of my education/skills is due to a good memory, but going by most standardized testing I'm in the 80th to 95th percentile. I'm varying because it varied a bit by subject. In grammar/language-mechanics I'm roughly average, but in math or science or social-science I think I was in the 90th percentile range or higher. I qualified for gifted, but chose not to go. I won an award for Chinese language.

But I'm really a dummy compared to Christians like Ian Barbour, Francis S. Collins, George V. Coyne, Peter Geach, Robert P. George, David Bentley Hart, Alasdair MacIntyre, Rosalind Picard (Picard is quite critical of many Christians though), Richard Swinburne, Daniel Tammet, Charles H. Townes, or John C. Wright.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 07-24-2011 at 09:56 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Did I say anything about teaching myths as fact? Uh... no, I didn't.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

There are also those like myself who are self educated...Education and intelligence are two different animals altogether...I never trust folks who wave their sheep skins at me, especially on forums.

I find that reading their posts a much more valid way of evaluating their intelligence.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Is it equally brainwashing to teach a child from birth that there is no God?
what if you leave the slate blank?? let the child live and learn about god on his own..

i was 9 when i was in bible school, and thats when i learned the truth about the fairy tale legends

my god meter says 65 to 70 percent that i believe in an inteligent designer

but i'm pretty sure the fairy tale legends are a bunch of bunk.. just to much suffering in the world for that suposedly good god to be true..

god is probably running a experiment and will not intervene,, kinda like the kid that got his first chemistry kit..

i wish god would step up to the plate and scare the holy crap outa all these fanatics in the world..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality