U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times

Advertisements

Go outside and look at the world around you. Look at it real well. Do you see the work of a supreme being? It is as simple as that. The very existence of the world around us is the evidence for a supreme being.

Many people, like my son, believe there has to be a supreme being operating behind everything. As Bob Dylan said in his song "Every grain of Sand",

"In the fury of the moment
I can see the Master's hand
In every leaf that trembles,
in every grain of sand"

To other people like myself, the idea of a supreme being never enters our mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 02:46 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,497,518 times
I don't see the work of a Supreme Being when I go outside and take a real good look at nature. It is as simple as that.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:00 PM

19,784 posts, read 19,880,941 times
It is especially at times like that when I feel reaffirmation that there can't possibly be one.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:03 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,950,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Go outside and look at the world around you. Look at it real well. Do you see the work of a supreme being? It is as simple as that. The very existence of the world around us is the evidence for a supreme being.
That is simply absurd, and the world you see is proof. If designed for us, then why is it so hostile to us. Your own statement of "go outside" for technology is what provides your shelter that allows you to live where ever it is live. Live outside, naked for a year and tell me how great the fit of the home your god created for you fits your needs, if you survive a year.

Very little of the planet is habitable without technology. We are very limited in the temperatures we can thrive in, basically 68 - 78. Outside of that narrow range we rely on technology.

Not to mention all the living things that threaten us, from the microscopic to the very large, then there is the threats from the planet itself, from earthquakes, tsunamis (remember living near the coast is the easiest) and weather, extreme temperatures, storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:12 PM

16,587 posts, read 14,063,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

Many people, like my son, believe there has to be a supreme being operating behind everything. As Bob Dylan said in his song "Every grain of Sand",

"In the fury of the moment
I can see the Master's hand
In every leaf that trembles,
in every grain of sand"

To other people like myself, the idea of a supreme being never enters our mind.

Lets look at some of the wonders of nature, shall we?

Mammalian testicles. They are surely the best "designed" structure known to nature right? First, the supreme being decided to make us warm blooded. This increases our metabolism, requires us to have huge caloric intakes but also allows us to colonize the most ecosystems on earth. Good plan.

BUT, in order to allow us to breed, the sperm cannot be kept at the same temperature as the body. So the most logical thing is not to "design" heat resistant sperm, or lower our body temperatures just slightly. No, the most logical thing is to put these very delicate organs in an area of enclosed skin OUTSIDE the body cavity. Clever design hmmm??

Its obvious that these adaptations were not the product of competing evolutionary forces at all.

Or maybe the rabbit digestive system. Its clear that the rabbit was "designed" to have to eat its own feces in order to survive by a supreme being. Despite the fact that it would have made more sense in terms of "design" to make the majority of digestion occur at the beginning of the digestive tract it is obvious that the rabbit was created by a being so supreme that the only way to overcome this flawed digestive system that resulted is the death of so many of its species was for them to have exponential birth rates.

The list of the "wonders" of the natural world we can lay at the feet of the supreme being are long and varied. Its easy to say that rainbows and flowers are signs of a supreme being because they are aesthetically pleasing but its a little harder to assign "wonder" to such badly "designed" natural processes like porcupine sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality