Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:35 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
No, we just think that your a U-na-s-ti-s-gi A-si-yv-di....
(I looked it up)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:51 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
I bet I'm making a lot of indians angry. Those sinners. lol
I really doubt you are capable of making a Native American Angry. Most likely you will never understand why you do not have the ability to do so.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:55 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
(I looked it up)

I wonder if he did and if he understands.....

Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
The story of the two wolves, one good, one evil, is a story about all of us, for deep within us there is both good and evil and what we choose to be depends upon us, it's our choice and that is what the story is telling us. We all know that we have both good and evil within us and we all know that at different times we're going to show both good and evil and there is nothing wrong with that as long as we know how to control it and which wolf we feed the most. That's what this story is trying to tell you.osay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Ptsum,
The more times I see words of wisdom, that cross all cultures the more strengthened I become in the belief we all have the same creator.
If memory serves me me right the Tsalagi have a companion story that explains that both wolves are us and we can not kill one without killing the other. I forgot exactly how the story goes but that is the lesson learned from it.
Quote:
It's like two sides of the same coin, one cannot exist without the other.
Quote:
Total BS. Bieng mad, feeling jealousy, and even hating are all human emotions. To say that you are evil if you are righteously angry, jealous, or feel hatred is , well, evil imo. It's judging people by the wrong standards. You are calling all passionate people evil, and that all passionate people should be "good" and behave in a way YOU want them to behave.
Quote:
Little Hamer, you have just proven my point and the lesson of the story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
It is not total BS, Ball Pean. It's more profound than you know.
Quote:
God gets angry, jealous and hateful. Does that make him evil? If you judge people by those standards then you consider God evil. Not a good lesson for the kiddies imo.
No . . . God does NOT get angry, jealous, hateful . . . those are all the product of human psychological weaknesses which God does NOT have. There is no shame in just having those emotions . . . there is only shame in acting on them without the controlling umbrella of agape love. Only acts done under the control of pure agape love can feed both wolves at the same time without danger to your inner well being.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:59 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No . . . God does NOT get angry, jealous, hateful . . . those are all the product of human psychological weaknesses which God does NOT have. There is no shame in just having those emotions . . . there is only shame in acting on them without the controlling umbrella of agape love. Only acts done under the control of pure agape love can feed both wolves at the same time without danger to your inner well being.
I have to give credit where credit is deserved, and your post deserves credit. But, the rep thing won't let me give you any until I spread some around. So I will just say, excellent post.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Ball Pean, I think you're missing the point of the story. Maybe it's a cultural thing...I don't know. I am not Cherokee, but rather a Comanche. The stories told by our elders had meaning behind just the literal words. Jealousy, anger, lies, evil, etc, etc, etc are not the evil in and of themselves. Rather, those emotions are a source of evil actions, just as joy, laughing, etc are a source of good actions. There are those who can perform evil actions and be happy about it, yes? That is the point of the story. When reading or hearing native stories, you have to be careful not to just hear the literal words, but gleen the meaning behind them.

I made this point in another thread, but it bears repeating. You know our story tellers pick the words for their stories very carefully. For instance, if you hear a story that says how "Bear" did something or "Owl" said something, it didn't mean that they literally did those things. The people didn't believe they did those thing literally either. But, they did understand what the meaning of the words were, characteristics that the animals symbolized and so on. Because of that, they could get the meaning of the story behind those words.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:28 PM

591 posts, read 641,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

The "pearl of wisdom" says that anger and jealousy is evil. God DOES get angry, jealous and hateful. It's in the Bible. He hates false prophets, people that worship openly evil people, idolitry. He hated king David for sinning. He has been regretful for things. He has smote evil that ticked him off, disgusted him, and made him jealous. It is taught that he hates the sin but loves the sinner. But if the sinner won't repent, then what? Should he shower love and kindness on someone openly evil? According to the "pearl" you should.

Last edited by Ball Pean; 07-26-2011 at 07:41 PM..

Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
The "pearl of wisdom" says that anger and jealousy is evil. God DOES get angry, jealous and hateful. It's in the Bible. He hates false prophets, people that worship openly evil people, idolitry. He hated king David for sinning. He has been regretful for things. He has smote evil that ticked him off, disgusted him, and made him jealous. It is taught that he hates the sin but loves the sinner. But if the sinner won't repent, then what? Should he shower love and kindness on someone openly evil? According to the "pearl" you should.

Little Hamer, we do not fault you for your ignorance, for it is the only thing that you know and it is what you have been taught, you cannot help what you are because of that, but you have completely misunderstood the lesson and you have equated it to a Christian way of thinking and we understand that that is the only thing that you know and that is why I say, you were completely over your head and have no understanding of the Native American way of thinking and storytelling, so maybe if you were to open your ears and listen, you may learn something.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 PM

591 posts, read 641,461 times
Quote:
Little Hamer, we do not fault you for your ignorance, for it is the only thing that you know and it is what you have been taught, you cannot help what you are because of that, but you have completely misunderstood the lesson and you have equated it to a Christian way of thinking and we understand that that is the only thing that you know and that is why I say, you were completely over your head and have no understanding of the Native American way of thinking and storytelling, so maybe if you were to open your ears and listen, you may learn something.

THe "pearl" is trying to tell me that I have two wolves inside of me at war with one another. The evil one is the FEELINGS of anger and jealousy. The good one is the FEELINGS of joy, peace, love, and hope. If I take drugs to make me feel peace, does that mean I feed the good wolf?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 PM

Little Hamer, here is another story that you may understand, it's a story about vanity and what happens when you give into it.

YouTube - Native American Storyteller richheape.com - Tales of Wonder2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality