Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
How do you tell the difference between loyalty in a dog and love? The answer is you can't. We see our emotions in animals when they aren't present. That doesn't mean base emotions are not there like fear and anger. But love, hatred, envy, etc. just don't exist in animals. Not in that way we understand those emotions
Wrong again. Or still.

Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Well, when affection for animals becomes unreasonable, the life of pets for some, can seem even more important than that of humans. During a fire in one animal hospital Avid pet owners gathered outside and some reportedly tried to break through the cordon, crying that they "wanted to die with their darlings." Of course, it can be very sad, even tragic, to see a beloved pet die. But even in such a case, there is room for balance. Animals were not created in God’s image, nor were they meant to live forever, as were humans. Regarding the way God made humans, the Bible says: "He has even put eternity into their minds." Yet, nothing like this is said of animals.—Ecclesiastes 3:11. And the Bible does not say that it is wrong to kill animals. They are a common source of food for millions. But what about putting a pet to death—for example, one that is sick and suffering? What a difficult, painful decision. I'd rather see it done in a quick and painless manner rather than a pet lover having to deal with lots of expensive treatment that merely prolongs suffering that may even put a strain on the family finances. As God dearly loves his human creation; should we not, in turn, show balanced consideration and affection for the animals that he has created into to our care?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
I've learned more about love, honour, dignity, courage, loyalty and faith from animals than I could from a stack of bibles or a church full of preachers.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:34 AM

19,993 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
How do you tell the difference between loyalty in a dog and love? The answer is you can't. We see our emotions in animals when they aren't present. That doesn't mean base emotions are not there like fear and anger. But love, hatred, envy, etc. just don't exist in animals. Not in that way we understand those emotions
It depends on the animal. We have a rescue malamute / pug mix that was not properly socialized and also poorly treated as a puppy. He is just intelligent enough to see the difference in his life since coming into our home and learning to trust us and I think he appreciates the difference (to the very limited extent he can think abstractly). He definitely is trusting and loyal and he definitely enjoys us. Maybe that's not love, but it certainly feels like love.

Envy? Definitely present in his "little sister", a Norwich Terrier. And yes it's partly the nature of a terrier to go after and seize things, but the bigger dog definitely comes to us the same way a toddler would complain that little sis has taken his toy. And little sis does not want to give it back. I don't see anything substantively different than the sibling rivalry I observe in human children. Whether we make human behaviors more complex than they are or project more complexity onto animals than is really there, is unclear at times ... but there is certainly more in common than most people seem willing to recognize.

We joke that the dogs are our substitute for kids that have left the nest ... it gives us someone to take care of and to depend on us, only generally with more gratitude, respect and appreciation. I consider it a pretty good trade-off and pretty good therapy.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 AM

19,993 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
But what about putting a pet to death—for example, one that is sick and suffering? What a difficult, painful decision. I'd rather see it done in a quick and painless manner rather than a pet lover having to deal with lots of expensive treatment that merely prolongs suffering that may even put a strain on the family finances. As God dearly loves his human creation; should we not, in turn, show balanced consideration and affection for the animals that he has created into to our care?
Agreed. And I wish we could shoe "balance consideration and affection" for our suffering loved ones in the same way and not merely prolong their suffering. I wish I could count on doctors for aid in dying peacefully if I am suffering someday. Unfortunately we treat our pets better than our own family in this regard.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
More and more frequently I am hearing pet owners make statements about loving their dogs and cats more than people in general, children and their own family members. Now granted, dogs and cats are great companions, but do you think that God is pleased when people love animals more than their next door neighbor?
I have absolutely no qualms of conscience whatsoever saying that I love animals more than I love most people. Honestly, I don't know for sure what God thinks about this because I'm not God. I will say, however, that most animals are more deserving of my love than most people are.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:44 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
First off animals are incapable of love and many other human emotions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
100% wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Ditto.
And ditto to the 100th power.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,963 times
Quote:
I've learned more about love, honour, dignity, courage, loyalty and faith from animals than I could from a stack of bibles or a church full of preachers.
Amen!

Old 09-27-2013, 11:36 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
As have I.

Though I'd add, "and the people who love those animals". Ever notice how animals can bring out the best in people? And how they can heal people who are broken in body and spirit?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:00 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
How can one love "their neighbor" if they don't trust them, or are cautious of them, don't want to get close?

I don't love humanity; I am distrustful of them, but I'd never hurt them. Only God can help me with this - and He will in due time.

If I had a dog, I'd love her way more than most people. My dog wouldn't hurt me or have ulterior(sp?) motives. She'd love me for ME, and I'd adore her and probably give my life for her.

I'd give my life for some family members, too.

I'd say in general.....I,m very sympathetic to this view. Granted at the end of the day....I'm not looking to for help to over come my aversion to most other people. Granted also, my distrust as far as I know....is not debilitating my ability to get on with life.

Dogs Like Socks by PSYCHOSTICK [Official] "I'm a dog and I like socks" - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality