Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 07:15 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,495,899 times

Advertisements

A prominent black Christian pastor says Barack Obama (D-Illinois) made "an inept attempt to be a theology major" in Thursday night's Democratic presidential forum on homosexual issues.

During Thursday's forum, Obama was asked by one of the moderators why many black churches remain strongly opposed to homosexuality. Moderator Jonathan Capeheart of the Washington Post then referred to such opposition as "homophobia." Obama responded to the question by saying some black pastors "have elevated one line of Romans over the Sermon on the Mount."

Black pastor says Obama no 'ambassador of the faith' (OneNewsNow.com) (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 07:47 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,510,200 times
What do white pastors say?

If we're going to bring up the issue of race, let's get it straight.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,438,912 times
Oh Obama!

I actually had a guy I work with who didn't know about me being an atheist telling me why he wouldn't vote for Obama. He explained to me that Obama was born to a Muslim father and an Atheist mother. He said "Could you imagine having some a**hole atheist as our president?" Oh, why how Christian of him! I love the religious... it's at least amusing

Old 08-12-2007, 09:25 AM

692 posts, read 1,729,417 times
He is not an atheist.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:29 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,438,912 times
I don't know what he is. I don't care either. I know a politician has to lie about his religion to get elected, unless of course, they are really religious. I find it unfathomable that with all the governor's, senators, and president's we have had, that not one of them has ever claimed to be an atheist.... I wonder why that is... surely with the morals politicians have they can't all be religious... or maybe I'm wrong

Old 08-12-2007, 01:19 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,510,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
He is not an atheist.
And he's no more black than he is white.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:30 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,596,768 times
We touched on the topic of politicians and religion awhile back. It's simply a fact that an atheist could not be elected to be President or anything else for that matter. We really don't know the personal beliefs of any politician because it's a matter of necessity that they must appear religious in order to get votes. I don't pay attention to what any of them say in regards to their religion unless it's something really over the top. Most of them probably are religious because most of society is religious but they're forced to play up their religious beliefs no matter what they really think.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM

329 posts, read 1,441,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I don't know what he is. I don't care either. I know a politician has to lie about his religion to get elected, unless of course, they are really religious. I find it unfathomable that with all the governor's, senators, and president's we have had, that not one of them has ever claimed to be an atheist.... I wonder why that is... surely with the morals politicians have they can't all be religious... or maybe I'm wrong
This is an interesting topic. On Friday ABC devoted all of 20/20 to Rev. Billy Graham's relationship to every President since Truman. Each living President including Nancy Reagen spoke of what a vital role that their Faith played. Bill and Hllary both said that their relationship with God got them through all their crisis. Carter, Bush Sr. both echoed that. Billy Graham was close a close personal friend to them all. And was called upon for guidance by each. We know the role The Lord has on GW Bush's life. I think he was elected on that by the far right, myself included. Billy Graham has slept in the White House under every single President for the past 60 years, and I think he was also present at most of their inaugarations. So while I cannot say what is in each man's heart I can say that none of them has ever run for office as an "athiest". There is supposedly separation of church/state but I don't think a self-proclaimed athiest would gain much support. We are a nation based on Judeo/Christian values. And one doesen't have to be particularly devout to have faith in God.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:58 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,415,483 times
Some churches are synagogues of Satan.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:09 PM

17,938 posts, read 27,370,273 times
"A prominent black Christian pastor says..."

Let's just start off with the facts here. Which prominent black Christian pastor, if I may ask?

Let's answer that one and we'll go from there. Then we can find a prominent white Christian pastors thoughts. Then we can find a prominent orange Christian pastors thoughts. Then we can find a prominent brown Christian pastors thoughts. Then we can find a prominent yellow Christian pastors thoughts. Then we can find a prominent green Christian pastors thoughts. Then we can find a prominent blue Christian pastors thoughts. Then we can find a prominent red Christian pastors thoughts. Then we can find a prominent gray Christian pastors thoughts. Then we can find a prominent charcoal Christian pastors thoughts. Then we can find a prominent pink Christian pastors thoughts. Then we can find a prominent white Muslem pastors thoughts...etc.

That and a buck nine will buy you a cup of coffee.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-14-2007 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: added the coffee bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality