Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,051,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Make that "mild mannered Cottonwood Heights resident who transforms at the first sign of religious, racial or sexual bigotry and prejudice." If someone would like a demo, try saying something idiotic about Catholics, African Americans or gays. Trust me, the Incredible Katz can get pretty worked up over a lot of things besides people dissing Mormonism.
So that means we can say something idiotic about all races religions and sexual orientations outside of these exceptions with no repurcussions?..
Just kidding of course, you seem to be a fair, balanced and benevolent defender of democracy...

Anyway, I actually have a few questions regarding Mormonism if you would be so kind (I've actually dusted off a Book Of Mormon given to me in Park City back in 1989, read through the introduction and into the First Book Of Nephi).

Mormons are Non-Trinitarian being they do not beleive god encompasses three divine persons in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?

Mormons are not eschatological or they do not beleive in an "End Time" or "End Of Days" as some Christian religions do?

Is Mormonism an "Experiential" religion where believers have a spiritual experience in which they may report contact with a transcendent reality and/or an encounter or union with the divine?

These correct, incorrect, or partially true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 PM

28,066 posts, read 29,896,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
So that means we can say something idiotic about all races religions and sexual orientations outside of these exceptions with no repurcussions?..
You could always try it and see how far it gets you.

Quote:
Just kidding of course, you seem to be a fair, balanced and benevolent defender of democracy...
Actually, I just detest intolerance. It's pretty simple.

Quote:
Mormons are Non-Trinitarian being they do not beleive god encompasses three divine persons in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?
We definitely do believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. Alrthough we typically are referring to God the Father when we use the term "God," all three of them may rightfully be considered "God" since they are all a part of the Godhead. We believe they are "one" in will, purpose, mind and heart, but we don't accept the Nicene or Athanasian Creeds which define them as all being part of a single substance. We see them as physically distinct from each other but absolutely and perfectly united in every other conceivable way.

Quote:
Mormons are not eschatological or they do not beleive in an "End Time" or "End Of Days" as some Christian religions do?
Well, consider the official name of the Church: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We actually do believe we're in the "last days" now. We just don't claim to know how long the "last days" will go on. They could end next month or in another couple of hundred years. We do believe in the Second Coming of Christ, but a belief in "the Rapture" is not a part of our theology.

Quote:
Is Mormonism an "Experiential" religion where believers have a spiritual experience in which they may report contact with a transcendent reality and/or an encounter or union with the divine?
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Those terms or concepts are never used in LDS worship. We do believe in "personal revelation," however, which means that we believe that God can and does communicate with us to help guide us in making important life decisions.

By the way, I'm fine with answering questions of this sort, but at the outset of this thread, it was decided that it would be a thread to discuss cultural Mormonism and help newcomers to Utah to adapt in an environment where certain customs and practices were unfamiliar to them. If we get too far into doctrinal issues, the thread will probably be closed, and I wouldn't want that to happen. This one post will probably be overlooked, but if you have any more questions of a doctrinal nature, it would probably be better if you were to either start a thread in the religion forum or communicate with me via DMs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality