Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 01:24 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"I, the Lord God of heaven, ask the courts to cease the prosecution of my holy ways," Jeffs said. "There will be a judgment against all those who prosecute the church. ... I shall let all people know of your unjust ways. I will bring sickness and death. Let this cease."

Sect leader warns of 'death' to 'those who prosecute the church' - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 01:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
With everything going on in the world today, how does this maundering cockend merit a 28-paragraph story on CNN?

Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
He's just a deluded, pompous, man who has put himself on a pedastle and believes he's better than any other.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times

"I, the Lord God of heaven, ask the courts to cease the prosecution of my holy ways," Jeffs said. "There will be a judgment against all those who prosecute the church. ... I shall let all people know of your unjust ways. I will bring sickness and death. Let this cease."

This statement, made by him above, just proves what kind of nut case we're dealing with...he thinks he's God.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Mental illness takes many forms and ranges from mild to off the charts. This guy suffers a common delusion, and his affliction is clearly off the charts.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:23 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Mental illness takes many forms and ranges from mild to off the charts. This guy suffers a common delusion, and his affliction is clearly off the charts.

He read the Book "The Three Christs of Ypsilanti" one too many times.

His affliction is quite common in several forms of Schizophrenia, quite common in paranoid schiz. A person attributes high qualities to them selves to justify what they see as persecution. sadly they also use this to justify extreme means of perceived self defense.

Plain English: He is 2 Tacos short of a Botana platter. His elevator can still go to the top floor, but it can't stop.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:31 PM

624 posts, read 1,071,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

This statement, made by him above, just proves what kind of nut case we're dealing with...he thinks he's God.
FYI, in Mormonism, man becomes God.

And btw, so it was in an Orthodox Christianity. You are not likely to know about these quotes, but they are legitimate.

Mormonism and the nature of God/Deification of man - FAIRMormon

Quoting Irenaeus:

Quote:
How then will any be a god, if he has not first been made a man? How can any be perfect when he has only lately been made man? How immortal, if he has not in his mortal nature obeyed his maker? For one's duty is first to observe the discipline of man and thereafter to share in the glory of God
Quoting Augustine:

Quote:
Augustine (AD 354-430)
Augustine, considered one of the greatest Christian Fathers, said
but He himself that justifies also deifies, for by justifying He makes sons of God. For He has given them power to become the sons of God, (John 1:12). If then we have been made sons of God, we have also been made gods.
And btw, you can dismiss their theology as false, but these are the very people who are responsible for our NT canon.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
FYI, in Mormonism, man becomes God.

And btw, so it was in an Orthodox Christianity. You are not likely to know about these quotes, but they are legitimate.

Mormonism and the nature of God/Deification of man - FAIRMormon

Quoting Irenaeus:

Quoting Augustine:

And btw, you can dismiss their theology as false, but these are the very people who are responsible for our NT canon.
I'm not disagreeing with you...but I still think his cheese has slipped off of his bread based on what he said. Becoming Divine and claiming you can pronounce judgement and carry it out are two completely different things. Either that or he is acting and using this mental illness stunt in an effort to get off.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,238,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Yet he was a leader of many, and many followed him. Maybe it was his strong, tough-guy good looks. Does not say much for his flock, does it?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
The scary thing is that yes, a lot of them really do believe what they are saying. Even if they don't, their followers do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality