U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Studies have actually shown that having a bumper sticker of any kind means you are statically more likely to experience road rage and drive aggressively. The content of the sticker doesn't matter...the result is the same if its a Jesus or a Darwin fish. It's thought that decorating your vehicle makes you more likely to view it as your territory, so you react more strongly if someone, say, cuts you off while driving.

Sometimes if a person has a religious symbol in or on their car (bumper sticker, idol on the dashboard, etc.) they may feel some additonal protection from same. The benevolent power being their co-pilot to a degree. It can sometimes cause them to drive more agressively and/or take more chances or not be as careful as they should be.

Hopefully the diety of choice has "got their back" but I tend to give them a wider berth as a precaution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 07:21 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,282,711 times
As a Christian, I'm opposed to the fish symbolism on cars. I think a Christian's actions should speak louder than something you stick on your vehicle. I call it "Bumper Sticker Christianity", and I can't stand it.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:22 PM

330 posts, read 446,690 times
Its a free country. If people want to put their love for their relgion on their car... well good for them. Why should it bother someone else? It's called tolerance.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 PM

24,684 posts, read 39,457,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The Christian propaganda on cars reminds me that a true Christian would have sold his car and given the money to the poor.
Christians need to get to places too, like church for instance, lol...

I see them from time to time here in Australia. By no means uncommon.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 PM

2,630 posts, read 3,347,697 times
I think they're silly......but so are a lot of things people put on cars.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,172,217 times
Here's a great site for fish...

Car emblem Shopping, Order On-line , 48 business hour shipment anywhere in the world. Satisfaction guaranteed!

My favorite are the Freund fish and Cthulhu fish

Old 07-31-2011, 08:33 PM

3,334 posts, read 4,834,945 times
I honestly dislike any type of bumper sticker, especially those who put a bunch of them all over their car. Tacky. I've never really know what makes some people think that other drivers really care all that much what their religion, politics or opinions are, especially while in traffic. The religious ones seem a little more egregious though, because of the often mixed messages. For example, the woman in the SUV I see every morning on the the way to work with the big "DISCIPLE" sticker on her back glass glass, the five Jesus fish (two big ones and three little ones) representing the family and the license plate frame saying how I am basically screwed "without a prayer." Of course, she shows me the virtues of her born again life as she speeds through traffic, runs red lights and cuts people off as she weaves in and out of traffic. I'm sure Jesus approves because after all "Christians aren't perfect - just forgiven" dontcha know. And they wonder why so many of us don't take them, their religion or their god too seriously. That being said...

...it's their paint. They want to ruin it with stickers and symbols, be my guest. Personally, I'm with sanspeur. I would not defile my Corvette with such things. My SUV? Okay, I have a Dallas Cowboys license plate frame.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:33 PM

26,716 posts, read 16,418,866 times
The fish symbol is actually the Pisces. If you look closely throughtout the bible, they move on to the next age of astrology. There was the bull, and then the ram. Jesus's age was the fish and he talked about the age of the water bearer.

These people with fish on their cars are unwittinly supporting astrology.

Astrology in the Bible

Old 07-31-2011, 08:42 PM

19,468 posts, read 18,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The fish symbol is actually the Pisces. If you look closely throughtout the bible, they move on to the next age of astrology. There was the bull, and then the ram. Jesus's age was the fish and he talked about the age of the water bearer.

These people with fish on their cars are unwittinly supporting astrology.

Astrology in the Bible
No they're not. Symbols have no universal meaning, but represent entirely different things to different people. This even holds true for symbols like the swastika. People today relate to it as a Nazi symbol, but its use goes back thousands of years and meant something entirely different when it was first used. People who use the fish symbol on their car are not "unwittingly" supporting anything.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 PM

26,716 posts, read 16,418,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No they're not. Symbols have no universal meaning, but represent entirely different things to different people. This even holds true for symbols like the swastika. People today relate to it as a Nazi symbol, but its use goes back thousands of years and meant something entirely different when it was first used. People who use the fish symbol on their car are not "unwittingly" supporting anything.

Actually this is the meaning of the Jesus in the bible.

When was Jesus Born | The Unspoken Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality