Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,833,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Personally I don't think Jesus pays much attention to what's on our car but more what's in our hearts. If it's not imprinted in your heart then it's just vanity and hypocritical.

Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,187,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I have no idea if it is just an American thing or not, but from time to time, one will see cars with Jesus fish on the back. What do you think about them?

Additionally, what do you think about other religious propaganda (bumper stickers, Darwin fish, etc) on cars? Do you have anything that declares your religious belief on your car? Would you ever put something like that on your car? Do you think your driving habits might reflect poorly or favorably on your religious beliefs / non-beliefs?

I have the darwin bumper sticker on my car only because when I was younger I wanted to be vocal about my disagreement with religion. I have calmed down now, though. I almost went overboard and wanted to get many more stickers, but I didn't want to have my car vandalised. I'm saying that it would have, but I felt the chances of it being vandalised would increase lol.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,491,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Studies have actually shown that having a bumper sticker of any kind means you are statically more likely to experience road rage and drive aggressively. The content of the sticker doesn't matter...the result is the same if its a Jesus or a Darwin fish. It's thought that decorating your vehicle makes you more likely to view it as your territory, so you react more strongly if someone, say, cuts you off while driving.
Do you happen to have the study on hand for that? I'm curious to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I have the darwin bumper sticker on my car only because when I was younger I wanted to be vocal about my disagreement with religion. I have calmed down now, though. I almost went overboard and wanted to get many more stickers, but I didn't want to have my car vandalised. I'm saying that it would have, but I felt the chances of it being vandalised would increase lol.
I recently bought a new car, and it's driving me nuts. I don't want to touch it for another two years because it's still under warranty and that last thing I need is the Mazda dealership voiding out my warranty because I added some electronic gizmo here or there.

With that, a buddy of mine has the T-Rex emblem on this car. He's a giant dinosaur retard, and a fellow atheist, so he was in delight when he saw those.

Amazon.com: T-Rex Car Emblem: Everything Else

Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,277,830 times
What is your opinion about Jesus fish on cars?

It dates back to the days when the Roman Empire was Pagan. Romans (before Christianity took over) worshiped the ancient Fish God "Dagon".

DAGON FISH WORSHIP IS ALIVE IN CHRISTENDOM THE MITRE HAT OF… | ReligionStinks on Xanga

Also, Jesus's alleged birth took place near the beginning of the age of Pisces. As a result, Jesus has the Pisces/fish symbol.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 AM

16,591 posts, read 15,530,589 times
Well, I don't have much of an opinion about fish on cars, but I did just find on in a location that was completely unexpected. I got in in an email! At work! In a government office yet!

<:}}}}><<

Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,067,074 times
The BIBLE say's thou shalt not have any graven Images. None of anything in the heavens above, below or under the sea. He doesn't care about any of that stuff, so what's the point?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,435,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
The BIBLE say's thou shalt not have any graven Images. None of anything in the heavens above, below or under the sea. He doesn't care about any of that stuff, so what's the point?
I'm sure the writers of the bible had fish stickers on the back of SUV's in mind when they wrote that part.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:19 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,068,004 times
All the symbol denotes is that the owner has fallen for the god story hook,line and sinker.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,172,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
A little bit of spiritual materialism here and there isn't going to hurt anyone.
Depends on what your particular God thinks about ostentatious displays of religiosity. Seems to me YHWH wasn't a big fan, if St. Matthew is to be taken seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEETS66 View Post
I think it's a free country, and I have no idea why people who claim to be for freedoms are always making a direct hit on the christian faith..I don't have a fish on my car but I feel if that makes someone feel good that's their right to do so..
Relax, sweetie, no one's trying to forcibly perform a fish-ectomy. I merely commented that it's between you and your God, and that one particular God seemed to have objections to flash. Aside from that, it looks dorky. But I'm pretty sure my opinion isn't tantamount to law, at least, not if the current Congress is any indication.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'm sure the writers of the bible had fish stickers on the back of SUV's in mind when they wrote that part.
No, no, no--it's because they didn't have fish stickers to put on their SUVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality