Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists:Are you scared that Hell might exist?
Yes, it bothers me. 5 3.60%
No, not really. 52 37.41%
I laugh at the idea. 80 57.55%
It's always on my mind and worries me constantly. 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
The question should be not if hell exists, but if one leads a good life does it matter if one is an atheist? I would say that if one is an atheist and leads a good life, hell is not a worry. On the other hand, if one professes to be a Christian or Jew and does not lead a good life, they will go to hell.

I see so many so called religious people avoid death, they are scared of it. It tells me they do not really have the faith they profess.
Having nursed both my parents to their death, both uber religious, I can attest to how they hung on for dear life even when the quality of that life was not worth hanging onto.

I had to coax both of them to let go.

My mother who had a very painful cancer, cursed god and asked, "what did I do to deserve this?"

For someone that was faithful for over 60 years, that demise of hers was ess the final straw that proved to me that there was no inkling of me EVER going back to being xian again.

Her reward, a little casket atop my father's little casket and 6 feet under the surface - simply worm food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 PM

860 posts, read 1,356,762 times
Not afraid of hell, but my main question is, what's the deal with heaven??? I mean, can it really be that good? A place where no bad happens, is a place where NOTHING happens, for ever and ever and ever...

Death is kind of a mystery, and technically, as long as the Earth is alive, then you exist in some form, regardless if you're conscious or aware of it. As living beings, we're made straight from the Earth, which means, we all as a whole, have existed for billions of years.

You know what would be better than hell/heaven after death? Being able to see how this thing called existence first started, and then BAM, you're gone, or reborn, or transfered ???? That'd make an interesting movie

Old 08-03-2011, 04:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I don't think the people caught in war and famine, etc. have created their own hell. Hell is often brought to them via the U.S. empire and EU, etc.... It is very callous of you to say and think that everyone chooses their own hellish circumstances. Abused children do not choose their hell. Raped and murdered people do not choose their own hell. Many people held in prison and tortured do not choose their hell. Hell is put upon most people by selfish, unloving, evil men/humans. You have always seemed a rather cold person. I know you do not represent all atheists - they're not all as rude and callous as you - that's for sure.
My comment was directed at the loons (majority of posters in these threads) that are utterly petrified of the bibical hell of superstition, and in the process create the only hell they will face right here, right now.

Well what the heck I am a crude heathen barbarian dog kicking baby eating atheist in the mind of most here so pile on with your christian judgmental lunacy. You are way to quick to jump completely off the deep end in your misguided indignation. You normally come across as a rational person, with a sane view of religion, unlike many, but now I'm not that sure, for while you may profess it is your gods job to judge, you seem all to eager to make your own judgment.

I guess I should expect irrational assumptions from what is said from people that spend so much time doing the very same thing from their book of ancient superstitions. The habit of reading what you want into anything is what you do, why did I expect different.............

Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
I laugh at the idea. Apparently that's something the OP can't understand.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
NO. I no more believe in hell than I do Middle Earth or Riverworld. Though I like those books much better than the bible.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
I laugh at the idea. Apparently that's something the OP can't understand.
The OP is absent...Guess his poll didn't go as expected.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The OP is absent...Guess his poll didn't go as expected.
Misery loves company, and he failed to find any in his self imposed personal hell.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 PM

334 posts, read 486,810 times
there is voter bias, based on response (0 are worried, is definitely a biased response)

Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
there is voter bias, based on response (0 are worried, is definitely a biased response)
You are just another theist that can't imagine atheists having no fear of the imaginary...There is no bias, just honesty.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:53 PM

334 posts, read 486,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are just another theist that can't imagine atheists having no fear of the imaginary...There is no bias, just honesty.
I understand it, but not ALL atheists would. That is where bias is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality