U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Atheists:Are you scared that Hell might exist?
Yes, it bothers me. 4 4.12%
No, not really. 31 31.96%
I laugh at the idea. 62 63.92%
It's always on my mind and worries me constantly. 0 0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:05 PM

15,421 posts, read 7,168,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Arequipa,
Consider the POWER, the incredible power, of definitions!
I'd suggest that it is imperative that we redefine hell, heaven, God, Satan etc.
Just consider how traditional definitions have affected us, individually & as societies.
No. Consider the incredible power of concepts. Definitions are only the labels we attach to concepts. What we need to do is ensure that the definitions fit the concepts , not the concepts the definitions.

Quote:
I understand your point about interchanging psychology & spirituality, but to me, they are interrelated, as Carl Jung believed.
Spirituality is not so much about after death as it is about NOW... how what we believe affects us in mind, body & spirit NOW.
Spirituality is not about "us & them" - but about us all interconnected.
Redefining religious words can initiate positive change in how oneself & others are regarded.
I'm not sure that I even made such a point, but I think you may be right in suggesting that all this mental stuff is interrelated. While redefining (and reusing?) religious words may initiate positive (or not so positive) change, do you know, nevertheless, I don't care for tampering with people's heads by using psycho tricks. I know it may seem that I'm always dishing out a lot of mental advice but what I'm doing is urging people to think and reason for themselves using the mental tools correctly.

I do not want to manipulate their lobes with significantly loaded keywords even if I think it is for their own good. That's not for me to do and I am not sure that it's for anyone to do.

Btw. If you are C34's relative (seems I recall that) how's he doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 PM

7,884 posts, read 4,419,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

Btw. If you are C34's relative (seems I recall that) how's he doing?
Wrong poster mate.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 AM

7,457 posts, read 6,830,961 times
Given the number of deleted posts, we need to keep it on topic, folks.

Thanks.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 AM

11,898 posts, read 5,778,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abf5000 View Post

‪Famous atheists last words before dying‬‏ - YouTube

Watch this, it's supposed quotes from dying religious skeptics. By the way, I'm not a Christian, I believe there is more than meets the eye, but don't follow any doctrine. I'm just wondering if you guys are scared at the idea that the fire and brimstone Hell of any religion might exist. Do you assert a non-existent fear of dying and going to Hell? I'm curious, I have been told I'm going to Hell numerous times, and it never really bothered me. Thanks.

as long as hells thermostat is set at 76 degrees, i will have no problem with it

Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,692,076 times
Then comes the realization that adults believe in such absurdities and it scares the hell out of me for these may be in positions of authority, raise children, and most of all vote.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:40 AM

35,926 posts, read 54,813,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Then comes the realization that adults believe in such absurdities and it scares the hell out of me for these may be in positions of authority, raise children, and most of all vote.
If you really want to lose faith in the rationality of the electorate, spend 20 minutes in the P&OC forum.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:46 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,239,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abf5000 View Post

‪Famous atheists last words before dying‬‏ - YouTube

Watch this, it's supposed quotes from dying religious skeptics. By the way, I'm not a Christian, I believe there is more than meets the eye, but don't follow any doctrine. I'm just wondering if you guys are scared at the idea that the fire and brimstone Hell of any religion might exist. Do you assert a non-existent fear of dying and going to Hell? I'm curious, I have been told I'm going to Hell numerous times, and it never really bothered me. Thanks.
I do not believe in hell or heaven. There are too many physical things to be afraid of.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:44 PM
DMV

560 posts, read 562,732 times
All I have to say is, they better hope that there's not a hell, because if there is (and it is) then there fate will pretty much be well met with it. NO PUN intended!

Im Just Saying.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:55 PM

1,071 posts, read 567,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I find it humorous that they spend so much time kowtowing to their loving and caring god they see as a parent, for the slightest indiscretion will send them straight to hell.

Fear is probably the most powerful human emotion. Fear is instilled in us at an early age and infects our perceptions throughout our lives. We are taught to be afraid of crime, afraid of losing our jobs, afraid of AIDS, afraid of terrorism, afraid of failure, afraid of not being loved, afraid of going to hell.

All these apprehensions are seized on and magnified by the media, the government, the corporations and the Church, whipping us into a frenzy of fear.
The opposite of fear is faith. As a believer, I'm not afraid of any of the things that you mentioned, because I know that I've placed my faith in Christ. None of those thing whips me into any kind of frenzy.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,692,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
The opposite of fear is faith. As a believer, I'm not afraid of any of the things that you mentioned, because I know that I've placed my faith in Christ. None of those thing whips me into any kind of frenzy.
Faith in a god is fear, fear it exists, fear it is a revengeful spiteful deity, and the fear you will suffer the consequences of your actions or failure to perform sufficient kowtowing to appease this creation of your own mind.

Religious based morality is fear, fear of retribution for bad behavior, very child like in concept. Fear of hell, fear of eternal torment that is such a prevalent theme among christians, fear is the selling point of religion, for without the many fears people use religion to quell, religion would soon fall out of favor as it would serve no purpose.

If you don't subscribe to the eternal torment fear side of the superstition, and would believe the god that has murdered untold millions and condemned billions to suffering is going to smile upon you, you still have the fear of being mortal, and the reality that when you die, that's it, end of kiggy, end of your story as you know it for your awareness ceases when the chemistry withing your brain ceases to function.

A fate we all face. You faith may help you deal with this fear but it won't change anything, and I'll be damned if I'm going to waste time on a snipe hunt for it doesn't scare me into irrational behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality