Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists:Are you scared that Hell might exist?
Yes, it bothers me. 5 3.60%
No, not really. 52 37.41%
I laugh at the idea. 80 57.55%
It's always on my mind and worries me constantly. 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:23 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,177 times

Advertisements

I thought this guy did a great job responding to the original poster's question.

"Atheists...What if you're wrong??" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:48 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Cool A View of the Imagined Hell ("Why yes, it is down here! I can see it! Right here, in the sand! Really! Lookit!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
All I have to say is, they better hope that there's not a hell, because if there is (and it is) then there fate will pretty much be well met with it. NO PUN intended!
Im Just Saying.
This, however, seems to indicate a stubborn lack of intellectual capacity to watch, learn or think it all through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
The opposite of fear is faith. As a believer, I'm not afraid of any of the things that you mentioned, because I know that I've placed my faith in Christ. None of those thing whips me into any kind of frenzy.
Of course you aren't afraid of hell! "They" have convinced you, now haven't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Faith in a god is fear, fear it exists, fear it is a revengeful spiteful deity, and the fear you will suffer the consequences of your actions or failure to perform sufficient kowtowing to appease this creation of your own mind

....the reality [is] that when you die, that's it, end of kiggy, end of your story as you know it for your awareness ceases when the chemistry withing your brain ceases to function.

A fate we all face. You faith may help you deal with this fear but it won't change anything, and I'll be damned if I'm going to waste time on a snipe hunt for it doesn't scare me into irrational behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I thought this guy did a great job responding to the original poster's question.

Excellent video link, Hueff. I do wish the theist mob-provocateurs here would actually take the 7.44 min to watch, listen and think about all this very erudite and oh-so-logical young man says.

He so thoroughly debunks the entire Pascals Wager scam, not to mention Christianity itself, that he'd probably be "terminated" if he had a larger audience that had to listen to what he says here.

"Oh no no NO! We can't have this sort of thinking in the cheap seats, now can we, monsigneur?"

I dearly wish I could have said all that he does here, with such unerring logic and honesty. But even more importantly, I'd really love to know what the determined theists here might have to say or reconsider after they listen to this guy. There is no reasonable come-back other than a mass of stuttering and recoiling in horror at its truths.

By comparison, we then have this sort of "woo-spew" to supposedly counter some elements of the Christian belief. What a blow-hard & mindless tripe-spewer. This line of illogical nonsense is a typical part of your defense? Amazing!

Atheism destroyed with one question - YouTube

I also know that most theists cannot or will not visit the first [i](and frankly, not even the second pro-Christianity...) link.

Sigh. Ostrichism runs rampant as usual. And that, my friends, is a major part of all theists' lives & "defenses".

Image Detail for - http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110709060703/glee/images/a/a8/Ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg

.................................................. ..................................................

Well OK then... have a good day down there! (Oh, but please.... do say hello to the ants for me, n'Kay?)

Old 01-28-2012, 03:47 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abf5000 View Post
I don't know if the quotes in the video are accurate either, there's no source verifying them. Come on guys, you have a zero percent fear of dying or going to Hell? I know your fear is higher than that, even if it's just 0.5 to one percent or smaller like 0.1 percent. If you were on your deathbed approaching your demise, you wouldn't feel nervous about dying at all? If you say no, you are lying.
No, not at all.
To me, there are enough people who have had odd experiences which could be described as mystical, but this in no way validates Christian beliefs or even the existence of a god. Even if a god did exist, there are many religions in the world and they don't all believe in hell.

So, a person could be religious and not believe in hell, as well.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:57 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post

Nailed it. Great video.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:44 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,891 times
Your brain won't exist after the death, so you won't be able to feel anything, including both pleasure and suffering.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
This is one of a very few things in my life that I have little doubt. The place hell and the idea of accountability are different to me.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:09 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
No. Hell is as real as Mount Doom. Even if hell did exist, I would find it far more terrifying to bend knee to a psychopathic celestial overlord.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:33 AM

19,997 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig29 View Post
The only thing I'm scared of is coming back to this damm place for a second life.
Lol. For some reason the system forbids giving you ANY reps ... this to me is a new manifestation of the fundamentally useless reputation system on this site. Consider this my impotent gesture to provide you a reputation point.

Oh, wait .. this is a zombie thread. You probably aren't a member anymore. I withdraw my criticism. Sort of.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
No. Hell is as real as Mount Doom. Even if hell did exist, I would find it far more terrifying to bend knee to a psychopathic celestial overlord.
"psychopathic" is a descriptor that only defines the user in many cases. I wonder how my teenager describes me? be that it may. the only ones that "have" to bend a knee are the people that have to bend a knee. It's got nothing to do with a god.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:59 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
"psychopathic" is a descriptor that only defines the user in many cases. I wonder how my teenager describes me? be that it may. the only ones that "have" to bend a knee are the people that have to bend a knee. It's got nothing to do with a god.
I meant the idea of worshipping and obeying the commands of such an entity. Many of the people that believe in hell also say that god is loving and merciful. This is not the case, however. The hell concept in Abrahamic religions is that of a place of eternal torture and being burned alive. Many people were tortured and burned at the stake during the Inquisition although most people would say that was terrible and those that perpetrated such acts were monsters. It's no different than when a deity behaves that way. Any entity that would do such a thing is a malicious egomaniacal psychopath. Worshipping and following a god that would send someone to hell would be far worse than any punishment they could hand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality