Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists:Are you scared that Hell might exist?
Yes, it bothers me. 5 3.60%
No, not really. 52 37.41%
I laugh at the idea. 80 57.55%
It's always on my mind and worries me constantly. 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 01:17 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times

Advertisements

I have no doubts. And in any case I am most sweetest girl done none crime or harm so I would not see it anyways , lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 02:20 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
If I were an atheist, I'd be more scared of death itself. Everything you were, that you did, is basically wasted.

What is Hell, compared to that?
Why would it be wasted?

Old 06-04-2015, 02:55 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
If I were an atheist, I'd be more scared of death itself. Everything you were, that you did, is basically wasted.

Only those who are not dead can experience fear. Death is the end of our individual existence. Do you remember experiencing fear, or any other feelings before you were conceived? No, of course you don't! Because you did not yet exist. You might reasonably fear the process of dying I suppose. But everyone has to go through the process of dying, no matter what they choose to believe. As far as your life being wasted goes, my suggestion here is that you make what time you have count. And a good way to do that is by avoiding that massive end-of-times death wish that so many religious people embrace so dearly.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:55 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Determining what's likely to be true in any given situation involves evaluating actual evidence for an actual testable hypothesis with as many safeguards against bias creeping in as possible.
keep that in mind and listen to this show:
http://theedgeam.com/interviews/Barr...z_04.11.15.mp3

Old 06-06-2015, 05:33 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
I find this to be a very strange thought.

Look around you. Nothing in nature is wasted.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:47 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Why would it be wasted?
I agree. I had a wonderful dinner last night, and I am going to see some old friends this afternoon. These things are worthwhile in and of themselves, I don't need a god to approve of them.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:

I'm glad I'm not someone who thinks that of life as some sort of contest to win a reward, as opposed to a pleasure in its own right.

Let's see, what have I done in the past week? Among other things, I've attended the high school graduation of my two oldest children. I've enjoyed quality time with each of my three children. I enjoyed a very nice dinner out with my wife a couple of evenings ago. I've gone to a few grad parties. I finished a writing project I've been working on for some time, something I thoroughly enjoy. I've enjoyed walks in the woods and interesting discussions with acquaintances and such simple pleasures as having a beer while watching a movie and stroking the cat sleeping my lap. And countless other things that were delights in the moment.

All of these things were enjoyable pleasures. But to you they were just a waste because I'm not going to get some reward in the distant future. And I must say, yours is a pretty sad and depressing outlook. Yours, not mine.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:52 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Wouldn't that be heavily dependent upon what it was that you did?

As an atheist for pretty much my whole life I have been personally and professionally concerned about doing something, anything, that will be meaningful after I've died. It didn't have to be anything big, or earth shattering, some simple kindness, some participation in some endeavor that might have some impact on the lives of others some day in the future. If I can do that, and I think to a certain degree that I have, then my life wasn't a waste.

Although I have to admit that I am pretty pissed off having been invited to party that I will have to leave but will go on without me. But then again, at this point in my life a lot of friends and family had to leave much earlier than me, so hey what do I have to be pissed about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality