U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Atheists:Are you scared that Hell might exist?
Yes, it bothers me. 4 4.12%
No, not really. 31 31.96%
I laugh at the idea. 62 63.92%
It's always on my mind and worries me constantly. 0 0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-02-2011, 09:54 PM

15 posts, read 13,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna
Oh for goodness sake, don't ask a question if you are then going to turn around and berate us for our answers because they don't fit in with your pre-conceived views.

We are atheists, we don't believe in god, we don't believe in your bible/quran/holy book and we sure as h*ll don't fret over your hell.

There is no need to get nasty or call me ''Delusional'' because of my personal spirituality. Nowhere did I say I was religious or believed in Hell. You're the ones berating me for having the opinion that some of you have a fear of dying/possibly going to some form of Hell in the back of your mind that you have repressed. You can act arrogantly now, but you probably won't be acting that way on your deathbed. Look at what Thomas Paine and Voltaire, a couple of anti-religious Deists, supposedly said on their deathbeds. I have no idea if they actually said those things in the video on here, but if all those quotes were confirmed to be real, it would bother me if I was an Atheist and make me a little uneasy. Why are you angry? Did I strike a nerve with the Hell thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:03 PM

5,762 posts, read 2,367,022 times
I'm not an atheist. But I know hell exists. It's right here on earth. And sometimes it frightens me, the things that go on here in hell. I'm glad that we don't have to spend 'forever' in hell.

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:21 PM

15 posts, read 13,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt
The poll question asked about Hell, not dying. How would you like to be accused of lying and being dishonest when the person accusing you has nothing to base that accusation on other than their own bias and opinion.

Maybe, you should take a look at yourself. What is up with you that you have such a hang up that you would rather accuse strangers of lying than entertain the fact that others might not fear hell? Seriously, do you fear hell so much, that you can't possibly imagine that there might be others for whom it has no power?

Do you fear that Santa is going to bring you a lump of coal? That he knows whether you have been bad or good? No? What if I accused you of lying and being dishonest? That when Christmas Eve comes, you will be terrified that Santa will be disappointed in you and won't bring you anything other than a lump of coal.

Oh, is Santa too unrealistic for you? How about Hades? Do you fear being sent to the Greek underworld where you will have to cross the river Styx? No? How would you feel if I accused you of lying?

I am trying to help you see how arrogant and ignorant it is to accuse someone of lying when you have no basis for it.

No, you're missing what I'm saying. Look at what those men in the video supposedly said. If the quotes are real, that means they were terrified of dying and feared that Hell existed. You're telling me all Atheists are absolutely free of the fear of those things? Yeah right, they have no idea what happens after death, and they fear death despite all of their boasting otherwise. Atheists aren't anymore enlightened than the rest of us. You also act as if Christianity has been conclusively debunked, which it hasn't.

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:34 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 531,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abf5000 View Post
I looked at the poll results and think some of you are lying about your fear of death and being dishonest. I think some of you, on your deathbeds, will be terrified of dying and possibly going to some form of Hell. You don't fear it now, but I have a feeling some of you will eventually. I can't verify this, but it's my opinion.
I have seen some ludicrous, asinine threads on this site... but this one should go into a Hall of Fame. Well, Hall of Fail.

And now, my relevant anecdote:
I was living in Korea 2004-2005. I had a winter break and decided to go to Thailand. The most affordable option was to book through a local travel agency, so I did. I was supposed to fly into Bangkok, then take a bus to the Indian coast. They doubled the price after I already paid, so I was outraged and decided not to go. I began my break, staying in Korea, a bit annoyed that I wasn't in Thailand. I saw on the news that the Indian Ocean tsunami hit... and as it turned out, my entire "tour group" is now somewhere on the ocean floor. I realized then that I forgot to mention to family and friends in America that I ended up not going on the trip, so I got a ton of emails. When I reported in, my family said "someone was watching over me."

And based on your above comment, you're going to believe what you're going to believe, regardless of what someone tells you... But I didn't once think a higher power had anything to do with it. All I thought was that it was a lucky coincidence. I was an atheist then, and I'm an atheist now. So, to answer your silly poll more thoroughly... It didn't make me ruminate on the idea there could be a god. It didn't make me think that I "could go to hell" any minute. If anything, I thought religion was that much more appalling, especially when someone who survived that disaster felt they were "special" enough for God to save them, while over 230,000 other people "god liked just a bit less" died.

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:38 PM

223 posts, read 98,217 times
Quote:
I looked at the poll results and think some of you are lying about your fear of death and being dishonest. I think some of you, on your deathbeds, will be terrified of dying and possibly going to some form of Hell. You don't fear it now, but I have a feeling some of you will eventually. I can't verify this, but it's my opinion.
Even if people do, what's your point? That irrational fear is proof of the existence of the irrational reality?

Most of us have had hell, and God and Dante's Inferno shoved down our throats for a healthy portion of our lives, so yeah, some people might have glimmers of thoughts of hell. That has no bearing whatsoever on reality.

As for me, I've had about 3 medical procedures that had a 10% or better chance of ending in my death, and not once did I think about repenting or concerning myself with the afterlife. It's Moderator cut: inappropriatecontrol by way of fear, and it needs to stop being fed to our kids, IMO.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-06-2011 at 05:54 AM..

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:39 PM

23,001 posts, read 15,679,220 times
Quote:
There is no need to get nasty or call me ''Delusional'' because of my personal spirituality. Nowhere did I say I was religious or believed in Hell. You're the ones berating me for having the opinion that some of you have a fear of dying/possibly going to some form of Hell in the back of your mind that you have repressed. You can act arrogantly now, but you probably won't be acting that way on your deathbed. Look at what Thomas Paine and Voltaire, a couple of anti-religious Deists, supposedly said on their deathbeds. I have no idea if they actually said those things in the video on here, but if all those quotes were confirmed to be real, it would bother me if I was an Atheist and make me a little uneasy. Why are you angry? Did I strike a nerve with the Hell thing?
Who called you delusional? It certainly wasn't Djuna. You insist that we are lying then say that we are the ones who are nasty? We are also not the ones getting angry, but speaking for myself I answered your poll honestly and I resent you projecting your views and fears on me and calling me dishonest.....

I have no fear of death itself, but only hope my death is swift and relatively painless. Since hell is nothing but a myth invented to cause fear among the ignorant, it is meaningless to me...The whole idea is laughable, and that's how I marked your silly poll.

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM

223 posts, read 98,217 times
Quote:
Secularists should quit fervently bashing religion.
You first.

Quote:
You don't give any credit to the good religion has done for us.
That's like getting pissed because no one told Ted Bundy what an awesome job he did behaving himself on death row.

Quote:
Modern standards of good and evil came from, guess what, theism, not atheism.
No, modern concepts of good, evil, and morality were developed over hundreds of thousands of years of human evolution, where people went from living as wandering bands of herdsmen, to living in villages, to creating civil societies, where law, order, and "altruism" became necessary and helpful for the greater economic good of the group. That all these innate concepts were drafted into written form by early theologians is a reflection of humanity coming to these conclusions through shared experience, not some received wisdom from the sky.

And by the way, if you want to lay concepts of "good" and "charity" at the feet of religion, make sure to spoon up misogyny, slavery and genocide, too.

Quote:
You also deny that the atrocities committed by Atheists like Stalin, Pol Pot, and Mao Zedong had anything to do with Atheism.
We do deny it, because to claim it has something to do with atheism is BS. Stalin would've sheltered any member of the clergy who was loyal to him and killed an atheist if he thought it would better consolidate his power.

And all of these dictators were deities themselves, to their people. Like Kim Jong Il today, these dictators fostered myths about themselves to achieve blind allegiance from followers -- just like religious leaders do for Jesus, Allah, etc.

Quote:
It seems Atheists forget they have the blood of millions of people on their hands. By that I mean Atheists who were anti-religious persecuted religious people.
Please. Religion piled up the body county all over Europe and Asia for centuries before any non-religious leaders came to power and disrupted the hierarchy. Even though there is zero evidence that atheism as a philosophy was the driving force behind these murders, people will blame atheism for the high body count just because, for the first time, the murderers happened not to subscribe to a particularly popular religious faith.

You're clearly a troll in "agnostic's" clothing, trying to pick a fight with people against whom you are not intellectually equipped. It's that simple.

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:53 PM

9,582 posts, read 4,888,173 times
Quote:
Do you assert a non-existent fear of dying and going to Hell?
There is no Hell. Hell was invented by the Greeks when they mistranslated texts from Mesopotamia.

Quote:
I think you people may be lying, you have a zero percent fear of dying and going to Hell?
You can't go to someplace that doesn't exist and you need to learn how to write polls because yours sux.

Proof that there is no Hell is in the bible, specifically the Old Testament books.

The fact that the New Testament might mention Hell is irrelevant, and actually proves my argument that the Greeks invented Hell, and that the Hebrews were corrupted and influenced by Greek thought and Greek pagan religions.

I mean why do you think the Hebrews wrote their bible in Greek? Because the overwhelming vast majority of Hebrews spoke Greek, that's why.

And please, don't be stupid enough to use Shaol. That isn't even Hebrew, it's Canaanite and it stems from about the 600s, which is the time that the Exodus Trilogy and Deuteronomy were written.

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:58 PM

7,884 posts, read 4,015,122 times
Quote:
You also deny that the atrocities committed by Atheists like Stalin, Pol Pot, and Mao Zedong had anything to do with Atheism. It seems Atheists forget they have the blood of millions of people on their hands. By that I mean Atheists who were anti-religious persecuted religious people.
Oh boy! POE anyone?

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:59 PM

5,989 posts, read 2,305,095 times
Quote:
There would be me, I'm a compulsive liar, and am desperate to not look like a coward. I think about Hell every 5 minutes or so and usually end up screaming in terror. I'm only fooling myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality