Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists:Are you scared that Hell might exist?
Yes, it bothers me. 5 3.60%
No, not really. 52 37.41%
I laugh at the idea. 80 57.55%
It's always on my mind and worries me constantly. 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM

15 posts, read 27,491 times

Advertisements

I think you people may be lying, you have a zero percent fear of dying and going to Hell? Yeah right, I bet it's higher than zero percent, you'll never admit it though. Also, I have to say, I know the video I put up is trying to scare people into converting to Christianity out of fear-mongering of the unknown(Death), but the music was kind of creepy, I'll admit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 PM

Question Message

I don't know if the quotes in the video are accurate either, there's no source verifying them. Come on guys, you have a zero percent fear of dying or going to Hell? I know your fear is higher than that, even if it's just 0.5 to one percent or smaller like 0.1 percent. If you were on your deathbed approaching your demise, you wouldn't feel nervous about dying at all? If you say no, you are lying.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Why are you so obsessed whether we fear your mythical hell or not? Are you trying to validate your delusion by assuming atheists still hold to some fear of the unknown?

Just like your hell, god does not exist either and death awaits us all and then nothing. The idea of an afterlife and some continuance helps some folk cope with their mortality.

Death is part of life and there is no reason to fear it. When you are dead, you will not be aware you are dead as your brain will be dead too.

Lastly, most atheists see your heaven the way you folk describe it as an eternity of hell itself.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abf5000 View Post
I don't know if the quotes in the video are accurate either, there's no source verifying them. Come on guys, you have a zero percent fear of dying or going to Hell? I know your fear is higher than that, even if it's just 0.5 to one percent or smaller like 0.1 percent. If you were on your deathbed approaching your demise, you wouldn't feel nervous about dying at all? If you say no, you are lying.
Oh for goodness sake, don't ask a question if you are then going to turn around and berate us for our answers because they don't fit in with your pre-conceived views.

We are atheists, we don't believe in god, we don't believe in your bible/koroa/holy book and we sure as h*ll don't fret over your hell.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:24 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
I think you people may be lying, you have a zero percent fear of dying and going to Hell? Yeah right, I bet it's higher than zero percent, you'll never admit it though. Also, I have to say, I know the video I put up is trying to scare people into converting to Christianity out of fear-mongering of the unknown(Death), but the music was kind of creepy, I'll admit.
Do you have any fear of being cast into the fires of Mount Doom. If you say you have no fear of it then you are lying.

You probably have no fear of such a thing because you don't believe it exists. The same goes for atheists and the hell belief. They have no fear of it because it is imaginary.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 08-02-2011 at 08:37 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
I think you people may be lying, you have a zero percent fear of dying and going to Hell? Yeah right, I bet it's higher than zero percent, you'll never admit it though.

Tell me, even if I believed in a Hell (which I don't) what makes you think I'd end up there, hmm?

There are plenty of so-called Christians running around who cheat on their taxes, cheat on their wives, and have other assorted skeletons in their closet. Do you really think that, if Atheists were wrong and there actually is a Heaven/Hell, that we'd be sent to hell for being good, moral people? Of course not.

THAT is why we're not afraid. (Oh, and of course, we think the whole concept is silly.)

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA
Why are you so obsessed whether we fear your mythical hell or not? Are you trying to validate your delusion by assuming atheists still hold to some fear of the unknown?

Just like your hell, god does not exist either and death awaits us all and then nothing. The idea of an afterlife and some continuance helps some folk cope with their mortality.

Death is part of life and there is no reason to fear it. When you are dead, you will not be aware you are dead as your brain will be dead too.

Lastly, most atheists see your heaven the way you folk describe it as an eternity of hell itself.
Okay, I'm spiritual, not religious first of all. Second of all, you know as well as I do that we have no idea what happens after death, it's a mystery still. It may be nothingness, but how are you going to exit the oblivion and live again to come tell everyone who is alive what it was like? Finally, you're telling me I'm delusional because I believe there is more than meets the eye than our limited, flawed perspectives can comprehend?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint
Why in the world did you bothering asking us, if you don't believe us? I'm beginning to think responding to the threads you post is a waste of time.

I looked at the poll results and think some of you are lying about your fear of death and being dishonest. I think some of you, on your deathbeds, will be terrified of dying and possibly going to some form of Hell. You don't fear it now, but I have a feeling some of you will eventually. I can't verify this, but it's my opinion.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
I have no fear of hell or dying to be honest. I've been told by people before that I'm lying or kidding myself but that's because THEY have fears. I was raised with no religion so I have nothing to fall back on like some do when it come to "death bed" stuff. I heard about heaven/hell god/the devil, etc. from various sources, both serious and comic, as I grew up. I went to church with some friends of mine in high school and belonged to a youth group for the social outlet but was never a believer in anything. Everyone knew that and fortunately didn't bug me about it. It wasn't until I was an adult and found Christian apologetics online that I learned what some people actually believed but I also learned what Scientologists and Mormons and Catholics believe at the same time...it was eye opening to say the least. Honestly, I can't quite wrap my brain around it all or how anyone can go through life with mystical thinking and worrying about something that happens after they are dead. To me is all weird.

Sorry you are scared of hell. I wish I could convince you that you won't go there.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times
Quote:
I looked at the poll results and think some of you are lying about your fear of death and being dishonest. I think some of you, on your deathbeds, will be terrified of dying and possibly going to some form of Hell. You don't fear it now, but I have a feeling some of you will eventually. I can't verify this, but it's my opinion.
The poll question asked about Hell, not dying. How would you like to be accused of lying and being dishonest when the person accusing you has nothing to base that accusation on other than their own bias and opinion.

Maybe, you should take a look at yourself. What is up with you that you have such a hang up that you would rather accuse strangers of lying than entertain the fact that others might not fear hell? Seriously, do you fear hell so much, that you can't possibly imagine that there might be others for whom it has no power?

Do you fear that Santa is going to bring you a lump of coal? That he knows whether you have been bad or good? No? What if I accused you of lying and being dishonest? That when Christmas Eve comes, you will be terrified that Santa will be disappointed in you and won't bring you anything other than a lump of coal.

Oh, is Santa too unrealistic for you? How about Hades? Do you fear being sent to the Greek underworld where you will have to cross the river Styx? No? How would you feel if I accused you of lying?

I am trying to help you see how arrogant and ignorant it is to accuse someone of lying when you have no basis for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality