Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:37 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Inspiration from God, don't cha know.

"Whoever imagines himself a favorite with God,
holds other people in contempt.
Whenever a man believes that he has the exact truth from God,
there is in that man no spirit of compromise.
He has not the modesty born of the imperfections of human nature;
he has the arrogance of theological certainty and the tyranny born of ignorant assurance.
Believing himself to be the slave of God,
he imitates his master,
and of all tyrants,
the worst is a slave in power."
--Robert Ingersoll

Regards
DL
Another quote from another basement dweller. <yawn>
I believe that is what an Ancient Roman would have said to a Christian quoting him passages from Paul's writings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
What drugs are you on, man? You're assuming God is evil -- He isn't. Satan is evil, the heart of man is evil. It's not like the "Greatest I Am", where there is superlative arrogance up for grabs.

By way, calling yourself the "Greatest I Am" saying that you're greater than the real "I AM", God, is a pretty amazing assertion. How do you know that? Did you win a contest? It sounds like a name from an MTV reality show, you know, like the Situation? I'd be interested in finding out.
He wasn't assuming God is evil. Im sure he is an atheist so he doesn't think God exists. What he was saying was that Biblical beliefs about God were evil, then he went on to post some quotes that he thought demonstrated:
1. how the god mentioned in your average Christian bible was ruler over evil
2. how that same character directly and indirectly commited evil

Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Good and Evil are points of view. I believe in a God but i do not believe in organized religion. I believe in a God that created existence (life) and non-existence. Everything that animates life (humans, animals, aliens, etc) is a manifestation of God. Everything that is inanimate is also a manifestation of God. When a life form dies, the memories/experiences return back to the original source of life, God.

The meaning of life is God experiencing itself.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:18 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,106,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I came across a very interesting post.
There was/is a thread going around asking the atheist if they had any doubts or something to that effect. Of course even Mother Tereasa had doubts so I went about reviewing some historical prospectives regarding her faith or lack of when I came across this fascinating post ...

by orinvee August 27, 2007 3:43 AM EDT EVERY child killed will be brought BACK to life...but to a BETTER, more GLORIOUS life. By allowing these UNFORTUNATE children to die, He has spared them the misery of future ungodly lives and brought them straight into paradise.
Of course, when you get rid of the roaches, you are a hero to your ''family''. To the roaches, you are a MONSTER!

by orinvee August 27, 2007 3:47 AM EDT The last post was incomplete. Here''s the corrected one:
Have you ever tried to rid your house of mice or roaches or ants? Did you try to SPARE the women and children of these PESTS? Did you hate yourself or expect others to hate you because of your ''genocide'' (pesticide)?

If you place such little value on lesser species than yourself, why are you angry at God who does much less than this. If you could realize that ants and roaches and mice are so much closer to being your next of kin and that God is removed so way beyond anything remotely human, you would understand that there is no comparison. Your killing of a mouse is like killing your own brother. God killing a human is like you smashing a dirt clod. There''s no comparison.

Another thing that you fail to realize is that EVERY child killed will be brought BACK to life...but to a BETTER, more GLORIOUS life. By allowing these UNFORTUNATE children to die, He has spared them the misery of future ungodly lives and brought them straight into paradise.

Of course, when you get rid of the roaches, you are a hero to your ''family''. To the roaches, you are a MONSTER!

Letters Reveal Mother Teresa's Secret - CBS News
Man did not create roaches as far as Christians are concerned so your analogy is useless.
Further, if man had the pocketful of miracles that God is supposed to have, he would take the moral high ground and just change the conditions where love is his motivating factor and cure the situation without genocide.

Your God took the moral low ground.

Regards
DL

Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,106,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I don't believe I am the slave of God, I appear have a completely independent decision making ability. Nor do I expect God to punish me for my beliefs and actions if they are wrong. Nor am I going to blame God for my beliefs. However, as a fundamental spiritual agnostic, follower of my own religion that upon its establishment will be known as "Illumination (the true Annointedness and the true Submission)", I do believe what I bolded: mainly that agnosticism is the exact truth and that it inspires modesty from the understanding of the imperfections of human nature. great quote btw.
From natures point of view, man's nature is exactly what it wants. Sort of. Nature cannot really want anything as it cannot think.

Candide

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end.â€

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPClzIsYxvA

Be it nature or God who creates, is the above quote true?

Regards
DL

Old 08-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Candide, the Optimist was written by Voltaire, a devout agnostic deist. He was satyring the "Creationist" argumentative jumps that "all things have been created for some end, [thus]they must necessarily be created for the best end". In sly, he was talking about how somethings are created with evil purposes, or for indifferent purposes, and that The Creator could have made this Universe indifferent because the Creator is indifferent. He was basically outlining the Problem of Evil, in that it is pretty common sense and reasonable that things CAN be otherwise better than they are. I read a translation of the book in High School.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times
Quote:
Dogma says that Satan has been sentenced to hell.

If so, why did God put him in Eden?

He looks like an idiot farmer who put a fox in the hen house.

Regards
DL
You've just revealed yourself as an antichrist. Everything you say is suspect for that reason.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Candide, the Optimist was written by Voltaire, a devout agnostic deist. He was satyring the "Creationist" argumentative jumps that "all things have been created for some end, [thus]they must necessarily be created for the best end". In sly, he was talking about how somethings are created with evil purposes, or for indifferent purposes, and that The Creator could have made this Universe indifferent because the Creator is indifferent. He was basically outlining the Problem of Evil, in that it is pretty common sense and reasonable that things CAN be otherwise better than they are. I read a translation of the book in High School.
Things really can be better than they are, but what are you prepared to do make the world a better place? Will you climb down from that ivory tower and do as Jesus did? The Creator is not indifferent-- He sent His Son.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Man did not create roaches as far as Christians are concerned so your analogy is useless.
Further, if man had the pocketful of miracles that God is supposed to have, he would take the moral high ground and just change the conditions where love is his motivating factor and cure the situation without genocide.

Your God took the moral low ground.

Regards
DL
God did not take the moral low ground. He became a man and bled for us, died for us. Your self-satisfaction really grates on the nerves after a while.

Open the Bible and learn about Jesus Christ.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
How many times has Obama come up so far? He's the evil black right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality