Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 10:07 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times

Advertisements

How many of you would accept a teaching job, or administrative position at a religious school whether being a christian, catholic, or jewish school and you were not of that faith. Most strictly religious schools expect or require all of their employees to be of like faith. For example, teach at a jewish school, you must be jewish; teach at a christian school, you must be christian. Again, this is not the case in all religious schools, but the stricter ones.

Suppose the pay and or the position was a high paying one, would you accept the job even if it meant telling the administration that you are in the same religion. It can be a touchy subject and there are many that may answer in 1 or 2 ways.

1) No, if I am not affiliated with that religion I will not work for that organization; it is against my principles.

2) Yes, I would take the job as long as I am qualified for the position and I am a good example for the kids.

I would conclude that in some of the religious schools the number 1 qualification is being of the same religion/belief as the organization above academic qualifications. Then if the number 1 criteria is met, then academic and work experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 11:32 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
I think I would have to go with #1, especially if you have to lie to get the job. That just wouldn't be the right thing to do. That would be deceitful and wrong. If you can't obtain the position on your own credentials and for being who you are, then why bother?
Also, if one was to lie in order to get the position, eventually, I would have to guess that the truth would come out...that wouldn't be good either

Old 08-14-2007, 04:32 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
For me personally, I would be asking questions at the interview that would "inform" me as to what exactly the culture of the school was like. If it ended up that the school was only looking for a very homogenious population among it's faculty, then perhaps my time would be better spent elsewhere, in an academic setting that was more accepting of religious diversity among their faculty. If, on the other hand, the school was more focused on the actual qualifications of the academician than the person's faith, along with what that individual could bring to the job irrespective of their religious beliefs, then I'd be fine with that.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:16 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I am not really sure of the situation here....do they KNOW I am of a different faith? I know most Jewish schools have what they call "secular faculty" and want a certain amount of non-Jews to teach at their schools. Yes, I would take that job.

I work now in a non-sectarian school (public) and many of the values are not what I personally have in my home, but I am fine with working there.

If I am offered a job and they KNOW I am not of that faith, I would strongly consider it, yes.

Christian schools are very complete in their interviewing and ask you to share your testimony of how you came to Christ, they also will often check to make sure you are indeed a member or regular church goer where you say you go, AND they want to know that you are actively involved in your church in some capasity. I don't know if anyone can really lie about that.

Dawn

Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
I wouldn't lie to get any job so if I had to fake another religion that would be out. But just working at a school that isn't of the same faith as myself I see no problem with it.

Most Catholic schools are non -denominational in their acceptance of students and faculty so I don't think it would be a problem. Also most Jewish schools (non -orthodox) are also non denominational...so again I don't see the problem.

Of course I don't think I'd teach the subject of religion...too much room for error.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:46 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
If one has the teaching qualifications needed, then I see no reason why one should not teach, even if one is not religious, (or, of any specific religion). However, as Irishmom pointed out, the subject of religion should be left alone, but then it probably wouldn't be done anyway, since I would presume that most religious schools that hire a non-religious instructor, (or one who does not follow their teachings), would not allow them to teach those particular classes,

Hmm, I also wonder if there could be a problem in some of the science classes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality