U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 PM
 
16,104 posts, read 17,912,079 times
Reputation: 15897

Advertisements

Bible Detectives: Jerusalem Scholars Trace Bible's Evolution - FoxNews.com

Quote:
JERUSALEM A dull-looking chart projected on the wall of a university office in Jerusalem displayed a revelation that would startle many readers of the Old Testament: the sacred text that people revered in the past was not the same one we study today.

An ancient version of one book has an extra phrase. Another appears to have been revised to retroactively insert a prophecy after the events happened.

Scholars in this out-of-the-way corner of the Hebrew University campus have been quietly at work for 53 years on one of the most ambitious projects attempted in biblical studies -- publishing the authoritative edition of the Old Testament, also known as the Hebrew Bible, and tracking every single evolution of the text over centuries and millennia.

And it has evolved, despite deeply held beliefs to the contrary.

For many Jews and Christians, religion dictates that the words of the Bible in the original Hebrew are divine, unaltered and unalterable. For Orthodox Jews, the accuracy is considered so inviolable that if a synagogue's Torah scroll is found to have a minute error in a single letter, the entire scroll is unusable.

But the ongoing work of the academic detectives of the Bible Project, as their undertaking is known, shows that this text at the root of Judaism, Christianity and Islam was somewhat fluid for long periods of its history, and that its transmission through the ages was messier and more human than most of us imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 PM
 
2,447 posts, read 2,681,169 times
Reputation: 2203
This is really old news, not to mention common sense. If a book is written by different people and passed on through decades, constantly being rewritten in different languages, what would that be called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:02 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,972,538 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
This is really old news, not to mention common sense. If a book is written by different people and passed on through decades, constantly being rewritten in different languages, what would that be called?
Not sure evolved is the term, as in reality it has been polluted by the fears, phobias, and agendas of all that rewrote or translated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,402 posts, read 9,152,294 times
Reputation: 13037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
This is really old news, not to mention common sense. If a book is written by different people and passed on through decades, constantly being rewritten in different languages, what would that be called?
66 books in the Bible. The Bible is a collection of books. 30 some odd authors. Some authors wrote more than one book.

What do you call a book rewritten in different languages? A translation.

And yes I agree. This is old news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
 
6,822 posts, read 5,155,795 times
Reputation: 3729
Since when does Fox News become a reliable resource for information? Time to take the blinders off to see the mass media for what it is. You can find plenty of resources that point to the scriptures being unaltered. Take the time to look. People are dedicated to believing a lie though.

Rejoice we didn't evolve from apes. This isn't all the result of some random accident. You weren't genetically engineered by some "evolved" alien race to be their slaves. The biblical message is consistent. Take the time while you have it to see why learned people accept this as truth.

What is time but God's mercy toward us? We'll wake up one day and be dead face to face with our creator and redeemer Jesus the Christ. The biblical account identifies this life as a mere shadow in the realm of an eternal destiny. We all have been given choice. Our actions aren't dictated by random chemicals in our brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM
 
16,104 posts, read 17,912,079 times
Reputation: 15897
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Since when does Fox News become a reliable resource for information? Time to take the blinders off to see the mass media for what it is. You can find plenty of resources that point to the scriptures being unaltered. Take the time to look. People are dedicated to believing a lie though.

Rejoice we didn't evolve from apes. This isn't all the result of some random accident. You weren't genetically engineered by some "evolved" alien race to be their slaves. The biblical message is consistent. Take the time while you have it to see why learned people accept this as truth.

What is time but God's mercy toward us? We'll wake up one day and be dead face to face with our creator and redeemer Jesus the Christ. The biblical account identifies this life as a mere shadow in the realm of an eternal destiny. We all have been given choice. Our actions aren't dictated by random chemicals in our brain.
Christians think the book is the inerrant word of God, but it obviously is not. It has changed through the years.

Why do you reject Ganesh? I am an atheist, but you are also an atheist with respect to every god but the one you happen to believe in.

As for evolution:

"Molecular Machines" -- Proof of Evolution at Cellular Level

Quote:
An international team of biochemists have discovered evidence at the molecular level in support of one of the key tenets of Darwin's theory of evolution that provides a blueprint for a general understanding of the evolution of the "machinery" of our cells.

"Our research shows that these machines although complete and complex, were a result of evolution. Simple ''core'' machines were established in the first eukaryotes by drawing on pre-existing proteins that had previously provided distinct, simplistic functions" -proof that Darwin's theory of evolution is valid at the molecular level, Professor Lithgow added refuting non-Darwinian explanations of Intelligent Design that propose that these complex machines to be so "irreducibly complex" that they must have been designed by an intelligent entity.


As a model system, the research focussed on one specific molecular machine, the TIM complex, which transports proteins into mitochondria. Mitochondria are a compartment of human cells that serve as the energy-producing 'powerhouses'. At a very early stage in evolution, mitochondria were derived from bacteria that lived within the first eukaryotic cells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,143 posts, read 19,207,122 times
Reputation: 14007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
This is really old news, not to mention common sense. If a book is written by different people and passed on through decades, constantly being rewritten in different languages, what would that be called?
"The word of god", apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 03:37 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,744,896 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
66 books in the Bible. The Bible is a collection of books. 30 some odd authors. Some authors wrote more than one book.

What do you call a book rewritten in different languages? A translation.

And yes I agree. This is old news.
They found, however, that the current scrolls differ from the older scrolls and that as time goes by, some prophesies were retro-actively added after the historical fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,377,077 times
Reputation: 3735
Default Abrogation perhaps?

Q: could we possibly refer to these changes as "Biblical Abrogation"? That's the current philosophical scourge of The Koran, that it has been changed, conveniently, many many times to "adjust" (also known both as "a process of finctionality change" and also in the genetic sense, as Evolution, BTW.).

That way, they can corral the mindset and behavior of their devoted followers, to insure the flock does not stray as their eyes slowly open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: South Africa
5,563 posts, read 6,322,078 times
Reputation: 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Q: could we possibly refer to these changes as "Biblical Abrogation"? That's the current philosophical scourge of The Koran, that it has been changed, conveniently, many many times to "adjust" (also known both as "a process of finctionality change" and also in the genetic sense, as Evolution, BTW.).

That way, they can corral the mindset and behavior of their devoted followers, to insure the flock does not stray as their eyes slowly open.
Yup once when I was Wooish, I too believed that the bible was very accurate till I started my own research (yay internet, yay science) Turned out I was duped...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top