Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
For a slightly different perspective, an anecdote!

I was visiting friends of the family down in Mexico, and I was having dinner with a friend and her 3 sisters. Down in Mexico, Catholicism is all the rage, and it is a very important part of familial culture.

Anyway, one of the sisters had, upon her son marring a protestant of some sort, converted herself to Christianity. She said it just like that. As far as these life-long Catholics were concerned, she had changed religions, almost as if she had become Jewish or Muslim.

There was no animosity between any of the sisters (luckily), but it was interesting to hear. From my American Atheist perspective, the idea of "converting" between a Protestant sect and Catholicism seems ridiculous. Both are obviously Christian. But for at least some Mexican Catholics, Protestantism is so odd and foreign, it might as well be a separate religion.
Both are Christian, but the rituals are some beliefs are different. My mom was raised Methodist and converted to Catholicism as a young woman. People convert when they move from Methodist to Baptist or Lutheran as well. They all follow Christ, but they have different ideas about what that means in terms of their services especially.

The Catholic Mass is very similar to the Episcopal mass, but not really very similar to the Baptist services I have seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
For a slightly different perspective, an anecdote!

I was visiting friends of the family down in Mexico, and I was having dinner with a friend and her 3 sisters. Down in Mexico, Catholicism is all the rage, and it is a very important part of familial culture.

Anyway, one of the sisters had, upon her son marring a protestant of some sort, converted herself to Christianity. She said it just like that. As far as these life-long Catholics were concerned, she had changed religions, almost as if she had become Jewish or Muslim.

There was no animosity between any of the sisters (luckily), but it was interesting to hear. From my American Atheist perspective, the idea of "converting" between a Protestant sect and Catholicism seems ridiculous. Both are obviously Christian. But for at least some Mexican Catholics, Protestantism is so odd and foreign, it might as well be a separate religion.
I believe it's likely because the Spanish never had a legit Protestant movement, so no name other than not Catholic, could arise for them. and if you are "not Catholic" but still "Christian" then they just call it "Christian". plus, in my experience, all the Protestants in the Spanish colonies refused to call themselves "Protestantes", the move away from Catholicism is more recent and so they have no reason to allow themselves to be called "protestant". They are simply "non-Catholic" Christians. Plus, Catholics never bother to call themselves "Christian" because its the "Catholic Church" not the "Catholic Christian Church". I believe that is the difference with Orthodoxy.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:43 PM

239 posts, read 133,977 times
Catholics pray to human Mary and to other human 'saints', so some Christians find that to be a little odd..

Old 08-20-2011, 07:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymarker View Post
Catholics pray to human Mary and to other human 'saints', so some Christians find that to be a little odd..
You aren't required to pray to anyone. It's just that some Catholics think they aren't good enough for Jesus, so they must pray to saints, After all, Jesus is God himself within their doctrine, and they don't believe they are good enough to converse with God. if they were, they'd be performing some super awesome miracles, and since they don't, then its obvious that God is too far from their sinful nature to listen to them, so why bother pretending they are on God's level, when only true saints are... get it?

Old 08-21-2011, 03:53 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Yup. You read right. I'm not a Christian. I'm a Catholic. Christian women kicked me out.
That's horrible ! And more common than you think. I can relate. Although I was never kicked out of a group I left many due to their extreme views and all their ridiculous rules. One thing I've learned over the years of joining so many mom's groups, and homeschool groups, is that a lot of the ultra conservative Christian types can be very cruel and clanish. Because of people like this I went from calling myself a "Christian" to just a "believer."

I did eventually find a group with a mix of religions, and a few atheists too, which I enjoyed because no one cared about my faith and vice versa. Its called respect and knowing how to treat another human being. Unfortunately, far too many don't understand the concept.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Why would they find it odd? Have you ever heard of a lobbyist? What Catholics are doing when they pray to saints is attempting to enlist the saints help to lobby on their behalf.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
I would need more details behind their motives to make that judgement.

I know most people have this "touchy feely Jesus was so kind and accepted everyone and everything" attitude, but that's not what the Bible says. In fact, Jesus said it from his own mouth "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law." Matthew 10:34-35.

Did they try to share their beliefs and were they rejected? If so, then maybe the group was thinking of Ephesians 5:11 or 2 Corinthians 6:14 when they made that choice.

Was she very vocal about her Catholic beliefs? Maybe they were thinking of 2 John 1:10-11 which says, "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds."

Or maybe they were just thinking of that little piece of advice that says a little leaven leavens the whole lump. Galatians 5:9

So like I said, I need more details before I jump on the bashing bandwagon.
I'm always fascinated by those fundies who are so busy searching out a fragment of Scripture to bend to fit their existing prejudices that they forget the important stuff:

John 11:26 "Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die."

That's it. No nuances of theology here. Simply believe in Me. As a practicing Catholic, the OP believes in Christ as the central part of her faith. Now she might hold a number of peripheral beliefs that I don't agree with, such as transubstantiation or Mary's eternal virginity or a celibate clergy or the infallibility of the Pope. But those are trivial compared to the one single focus on the Christian faith, namely who Christ is and His mission on earth. That is what makes you a Christian, and the women who kicked her out don't seem to remember what they were taught.

Of course, unless the OP spit on the cross or held a burning ember in her hand while saying the Lord's Prayer backwards, I can't imagine any Christian throwing anyone out of fellowship, particularly someone who agrees with them on the foundational issues of faith. In fact, I can't imagine any Christian throwing out anyone who comes to them in the spirit of friendship and fellowship. Christ devoted time to associating with prostitutes, tax collectors, and Samaritans, if I do recall. If they were good enough company for Christ, then I'm not sure how a Catholic is not fit company for a bunch of fundamentalist Protestants.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-21-2011 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What Catholics are doing when they pray to saints is attempting to enlist the saints help to lobby on their behalf.
But the Bible doesn't say to do that.
Rather, Jesus says pray to just him and God.
Talking (praying) to dead humans is spiritism which the Bible condemns.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:34 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
But the Bible doesn't say to do that.
Rather, Jesus says pray to just him and God.
Talking (praying) to dead humans is spiritism which the Bible condemns.
But Jesus(as) never told us to pray to him. He taught we are to pray to God(swt)

Old 08-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
But Jesus(as) never told us to pray to him. He taught we are to pray to God(swt)
When he was asked how to pray, he replied- "Our Father which art in heaven...etc",
but he also said we could-
"Ask anything in my name and I will do it" (John 14:14)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality