Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:39 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
The leader of the group emailed me and said that some of the other members have complained that they don't feel comfortable being around another mom and her children if they are not "Christian". Apparently, they believe that Catholics do not follow the teachings of Christ, that we do to many things to "try to be pure". We pray to Mary, worship the pope, etc....so I was asked to leave the group, since I'm not aligned with the Christian faith. That was it. No chance to explain.
I actually grew up in the Catholic faith in a southern state (North Carolina) and TRUST ME, I know EXACTLY what you're going through. To understand this madness, you must first do your research on the growth of Protestant Christianity here in the states. It is a very old mentality of hatred towards the Pope and the Roman Catholics that's behind this. Much of this I learned of while attending Catholic school (then learned even more on my own; what Catholic school refused to tell me).

I must warn you though that your research can lead to you finding information that makes you "wake up" from Christianity altogether. It happened to this ex-nun that now writes about her "spiritual awakening".
Quote:
A former Roman Catholic nun, she went from a conservative to a more liberal and mystical faith. Armstrong first rose to prominence in 1993 with her book, A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, an international best seller that is now required reading in many theology courses. Her work focuses on commonalities of the major religions, such as the importance, in many, of compassion or "The Golden Rule".
Karen Armstrong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 12:10 PM

593 posts, read 889,841 times
Catholics ARE christian by virtue of BELIEVING in Jesus and the word . They walk the walk as taught by their religion and as a evangelical christian they are my brothers and sisters . We
simply believe they have added too much non-scriptural ceremony ,intercessory prayer (well intended adoration) to mediators we believe are not properly designated for adoration as Jesus is our only mediator. Anyway, putting asside the non damnible practices if I had a Catholic in our group ,or a Luthern ,Baptist or even an East Indian Buddist they would not only BE in our group
but welcome and there is a caveat of perhaps not knowing what the heck religion or background
they have becuase we don't ask that question . Who cares??? On with the PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Das

Old 08-27-2011, 02:11 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I too was born and raised Catholic. While I no longer believe in God and give my services to the Catholic Church, I well remember the Christian types. How could I ever forget Born Again Christians? They were not only very vocal with their opinions, but also down right judgmental and condemning. I do not know what all Christians are like, but from the ones that I’ve met, I do not like them at all! They seem to think that they’re the superior lot. Many of them also seem to all have been heathen sinners at one time, so now they rule with God’s word as though we’ve all done what they have. Then there are the types that have yet to do anything, but they all desperately want to, so they put their thoughts into other’s heads, and then they chastise accordingly, but the ultimate slap in the face is for being shunned, condemned to hell, and whatnot due being Catholic. Despite not attending services for ten years now and not believing in God, I still cannot believe the number of times I was condemned to hell for being Catholic by a Christian… It’s no wonder the Romans fed them to the lions!

I hear your story, and I feel I have a good idea of just how you feel.
You make lots of good points. In my opinion, there are people that tend to naturally be good, compassionate, and caring people. Then, there are those that by their nature are short tempered, hostile, lack discipline, and just overall not good people. When this last group becomes "born again" Christians
it is like they are kept in line by attending church and reading the scripture. I guess it is not a bad thing for these people. However, These people do not understand how others are able to live without religion. This group also tend to slip up from time to time and show their true colors under stress, and/or play the con game within the church such as playing church politics, and deceiving and manipulating the naive. True, some of these people are judgemental, and critical of others for petty reasons while they on the other hand are much worse when there true colors come out.

That is why I am not a big fan of blindly going to a church and suddenly opening up too much with what basically are folks I don't know. Some are genuinely nice people displaying christ like behavior. Others on the other hand could be untrusworthy and probably were criminals and shady characters just last year and to me are at a higher risk to slip up and take advantage. I just do not trust people easily. To get to know someone one needs to be around them for a period of time and see their behavior and character under various circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality