Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 03:22 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
OOOps, now I know I need new eyeglasses. I thought the cursor was on the line for Religion/Philosophy.

Oh well might get better replies here anyhow.
Maybe I need a new head. I thought this was in A/A but it is in R/P.

"I'm never so stupid as when I'm being smart." (Linus Van Pelt)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 PM

608 posts, read 605,497 times
Default What is God and Who is God, are both answered by Christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
G-D is not a "who", a "who" means a person. the correct way to ask is WHAT is "G-D"

What is God and Who is God are both answered by Christians:
1. What is God? God is a being.

2. Who is God? God is the being person Who made at the beginning heaven and earth and is the father of mankind.
Now, what do atheists not accept to be the fact?

Ryrge

Old 08-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Default Yes, the study of word origins in regard to God is most worthy, but we have already the concept of God.

Dear Wood:

I really appreciate your labor to come to the concept(s) of God by way of investigating the origins of the word God in English all the way to the names of God in the languages where God is mentioned in ancient texts.

That is really a most worthy and productive study.

Now that we are so learned in everything, we can also at present examine what is the concept of God the fundamental concept that is, in his relation to the universe where we live in and are part and parcel of and also God Himself is part and parcel of, immanent to, but also transcendent to.

Now I submit that as ancient a date as the time of composition of Genesis 1:1 there is the fundamental concept of God in relation to the universe expressed in the following words:
In the beginning God made heaven and earth.
And also in the Apostles's Creed of Christians in verse 1, a text not as ancient as Genesis 1:1, but also very ancient a date compared to our present time, God is defined in His fundamental concept in relation to the universe and to mankind in the following words:
I believe in God the Father Almighty creator of heaven and earth.

So already from the very ancient date of Genesis, first book of the Old Testament of the Jewish people, and also the ancient date the Apostles' Creed of Christians, the fundamental concept of God in relation to the universe is clear and definite:
God is the maker of everything that is not God Himself.

So, all discourse about God must keep to that concept of God, at least among Christians and Muslims and Jews who are the peoples recognizing God to be the maker of everything except Himself.

And peoples who are not believers in God but want to have discourse with them must also keep to that concept of God, otherwise they will be talking past the heads of Christians, Muslims, and Jews.

Of course peoples who don't believe in God the one recognized by Christians, Muslims, and Jews, they can discourse with other peoples who have other concepts of gods, goddesses, divinities, deities, whatever else.

Ryrge

Old 08-14-2011, 01:39 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryrge View Post
What is God and Who is God are both answered by Christians:
1. What is God? God is a being.

2. Who is God? God is the being person Who made at the beginning heaven and earth and is the father of mankind.
Now, what do atheists not accept to be the fact?

Ryrge
While that is true. the Question remains who is God before the name was applied to the diety worshiped by Christians? the name existed prior to it's use in the bible. It was the name of somebody or something. who is God, not the G-d of the English Language Bible, but who the name was first used for?

We do know prior spellings were Gud (Pronounced hood), Gudan, Godt, Gott, etc. We do know German is an Indo-European language and unlike the Romantic languages has it's origins in Sanskrit rather than Latin. We do know the preChristian Germans worshiped pagan gods and some from India. The closest connection is the relationship between the word Gud and the Sanskrit word Hu Both with ties to the Hindu diety Indra, which had the Norse equivelant of Odin. God with a capital G originally referred to Odin. the Early Teutonic Christians thought they were worshipping Odin. the reason God became the accepted name for the diety of the bible. Also explains why so much Norse mythology came to be implemented into English Christianity--Christmas trees, Easter eggs, Dec 25, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus (From Sinter Klaus--The fireplace god) Not from Saint Nicholas although the 2 became entwined in English Christianity.

Just my opinion, but I feel God was a poor choice of words to use in English Translations for the biblical diety. I think the Christians who choose not to use it are at least correcting some errors.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:24 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
While that is true. the Question remains who is God before the name was applied to the diety worshiped by Christians? the name existed prior to it's use in the bible. It was the name of somebody or something. who is God, not the G-d of the English Language Bible, but who the name was first used for?

We do know prior spellings were Gud (Pronounced hood), Gudan, Godt, Gott, etc. We do know German is an Indo-European language and unlike the Romantic languages has it's origins in Sanskrit rather than Latin. We do know the preChristian Germans worshiped pagan gods and some from India. The closest connection is the relationship between the word Gud and the Sanskrit word Hu Both with ties to the Hindu diety Indra, which had the Norse equivelant of Odin. God with a capital G originally referred to Odin. the Early Teutonic Christians thought they were worshipping Odin. the reason God became the accepted name for the diety of the bible. Also explains why so much Norse mythology came to be implemented into English Christianity--Christmas trees, Easter eggs, Dec 25, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus (From Sinter Klaus--The fireplace god) Not from Saint Nicholas although the 2 became entwined in English Christianity.

Just my opinion, but I feel God was a poor choice of words to use in English Translations for the biblical diety. I think the Christians who choose not to use it are at least correcting some errors.
This must remain your opinion, Wood . . . because the etymology of the word God is not settled. The "one who is invoked" (the Sanskrit root) is non-specific. Trying to infer things from the cross-cultural adaptations of Christianity is futile since they are all attempts to worship the same God regardless of the influences involved. It is the INTENT of the worshipers that determines the object of worship. Christians intend to worship the God of Christ.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,491 times
why can't we call god Biff ? or Chalmers ? There are no rules. Water is still water, be it mist, oceanic, fresh, stagnant, spring, pond, iced, boiled, seltzer. God is a concept to many, a joke to some, and a friend to a large group of devotees, a zero to athiests, Jesus Christ's father, the great spirit, the designer, the musician on a cosmic scale. No law says we have to believe, or disbelieve. I know one thing : The omniverse isn't man made. We can't even see that we create most of our own problems. Some of us blame god for everything. And athiests ask why god doesn't stop suffering. They don't believe in god, so why ask that question ?

Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
And athiests ask why god doesn't stop suffering. They don't believe in god, so why ask that question ?
My asking is simply because I personally find the English word God, to be offensive and an insult to our Creator. I realize that many English Speaking Christians do not see it as such. So I asked to see how most identify the word God.

I do myself often use the word God(swt) when speaking of Allaah(swt) to non-Muslims. I do not like it but understand that is the English name for Allaah(swt)

Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This must remain your opinion, Wood . . . because the etymology of the word God is not settled. The "one who is invoked" (the Sanskrit root) is non-specific. Trying to infer things from the cross-cultural adaptations of Christianity is futile since they are all attempts to worship the same God regardless of the influences involved. It is the INTENT of the worshipers that determines the object of worship. Christians intend to worship the God of Christ.
Peace Mystic,

I appreciate your input. This is primarily a pet peeve of mine that I had even during my Christian years. Perhaps because I grew up mostly with the Latin Vulgate, I always disliked English translations of the Bible. Translating the Latin Deus or Greek Theos to God is a very long going source of consternation to me.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 PM

Default Whether a name of God used by His believers is insulting to God or not, it's up to God.

Quote:
My asking is simply because I personally find the English word God, to be offensive and an insult to our Creator. I realize that many English Speaking Christians do not see it as such. So I asked to see how most identify the word God.

I do myself often use the word God(swt) when speaking of Allaah(swt) to non-Muslims. I do not like it but understand that is the English name for Allaah(swt)

Whether a name of God used by His believers is insulting to God or not, it's up to God.

And it is also dependent on the intention of the user.

You say you find it insulting to Allah which Allah is the name corresponding to God for Christians speaking English.

I like to know from you why, and forgive me if you already explained why earlier or elsewhere, in which case just give me the link.

-------------------

You see, when there are already names for concepts representing things in a people (A), outsiders (B) who want to bring themA to another something which is supposedly not yet known to the peopleA theyB are coming into, these lattersB must search for a word already extant in peopleA, which represents most closely the concept of the thing which theyB want these peopleA to know about.

That is a common sense solution to otherwise a communication barrier in acquainting people with something new from outside.

So peopleB will use the name of say God in peopleA to tell themA that what theyB are introducing to themA that theyB call Yahweh is similar to what theyA call God, only theirA God will be further qualified as only one and all supreme maker of everything except Himself.

When peopleA are receptive to new and useful and more elaborate things from outside, theyA will eventually accept the concept of Yahweh in peopleB for theirA God, but already expanded and improved with additional features of Yahweh.

Ryrge

Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
God is a very generic term/discriptor.

God(s) at the basic level are anythings that have power/authority to (directly or in directly) govern your life and well being. Employers are Gods to most workers; the worker needs the employer for survival/life. A spouse is a God to some. A child, parent, religion anything can be elevated to a God status.

The Christian Bible says though shalt have no God before me; It does not say other Gods do not exist.

I would think the highest God would be the Creator God so the questions ...Who is the God? What is God? seem to both be answered by the same reply...Creator God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality