Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 02:06 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times

Advertisements

There have been several threads asking about descriptions of God, but none asking who is God? Or more specifically how did the name God come to be.

In the Semitic languages (Hebrew, Aramaic) the the name/word used has been Eloi, Eloheem, Eli, Al, Allah, all spelled with the same Root letters of Alif, La and Hah and used Interchangeably to denote the Monotheistic Abrahamic diety. It was translated in Greek to Theos and variations of Theos, In latin it was Deus and Variations which are still found in the Romantic languages in forms such Deu, Dios. Dias, Etc. However, it is easily seen they trace back to Allah, Al, Ali, Eli, Eloheem and Eloi all refering to the Abrahamic Diety.

The word God first appears in the proto-Germanic/German language in about the Fourth Century. Possibly came into common usage in about the 6 century and spelled as Godt Gud, Gudan and Gott interchangeably. It does not seem to have been used in any written Bibles until 1380.

so the Questions are how, who and why is God?

What is the origin of The name God and was it always the Diety worshiped by those of the Monotheistic Abrahamic Faiths?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 02:14 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
The question is: is this really appropriate for atheism/agnosticism? Not that we mind being questioned, but we know the name 'God' was sharked up later from Germanic sources and the god - concept exists only in mens' heads - so far as we are concerned. So a discussion of the who and why is not one that concerns us. It is whether - whether there is any reason why we goddless bastards should believe in any of the gods. We have seen all the arguments. They range from poor to laughable.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
The question is: is this really appropriate for atheism/agnosticism? Not that we mind being questioned, but we know the name 'God' was sharked up later from Germanic sources and the god - concept exists only in mens' heads - so far as we are concerned. So a discussion of the who and why is not one that concerns us. It is whether - whether there is any reason why we goddless bastards should believe in any of the gods. We have seen all the arguments. They range from poor to laughable.

OOOps, now I know I need new eyeglasses. I thought the cursor was on the line for Religion/Philosophy.

Oh well might get better replies here anyhow.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:59 PM

608 posts, read 605,570 times
Default Word origin of God is important, but the substantial issue is the concept of God.

Who is God? and Wood is into the word origin of God the word.

Dear Wood, with all due respect, you must then go into the word origin of the word God but starting with it as an English word -- if you would be thorough.

And show how this English word God is used by translators as the most appropriate to correspond to the concept(s) of God among the writers of the Old Testament and the writers of the New Testament.

I am most interested in the concept(s) of God, and therefore also interested in the word origin of the name God, but the most substantial question here is not so much word origins as the very concept of God among the most subtle and systematic thinkers about God since when Genesis 1:1 says that:
In the beginning God made heaven and earth,

to today, August 14, 2011, Sunday, 0857 hours in my place, 8 hours in advance of Greenwich.

Ryrge

Old 08-13-2011, 06:07 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,915 times
Wood are you from the Lakotah Indian tribe ?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Peace Ryrge,

The importance of the origin is it gives an insight into what at least the early English speakers thought God was. The word God at least in it's earliest form was in usage. If we can understand what it meant we can get an understanding as to what/who they considered God to be. At least the English world thought.

English is one of the newest languages to develop and we can trace nearly all if not all English words back to their Pre-English origins.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:54 PM

330 posts, read 599,124 times
G-D is not a "who", a "who" means a person. the correct way to ask is WHAT is "G-D"

Old 08-13-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Wood are you from the Lakotah Indian tribe ?
My wife is Northern Cheyenne. The Lakotah tolerate us. Most of our friends are Lakotah.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
G-D is not a "who", a "who" means a person. the correct way to ask is WHAT is "G-D"
While I agree with you, it seems that the word God had it's origins as a "Who".

I have a rough idea of the origin which is one reason I stopped using the word God when I was Christian. I much preferred the word Eloheem after what I found to be the original meaning of the word God and how it entered the language.

Before I post my findings I am curious to get the imput from others as to what they have found.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
*dʰewh₂- likely Proto-Indo-European origin for the word "theos" which is the origin for todays "dios" and "deu". Wikipedia tells me it meant close to "to rise in smoke" so it probably meant "those who enjoy burnt offerings" or "those who are like smoke". mainly refering to magical creatures that could make themselves visible and invisible and thus help us with their "higher power" usually requiring a sacrafise.

*ǵʰau̯ - likely Proto-Indo-European origin of the word "ǥuđán" which is the origin for todays "god". Wikipedia tells me it meant close to "the invoked". mainly refering to magical creatures that could make themselves visible and invisible and thus help us with their "higher power" usually requiring a sacrafise.

ʼil - likely Proto-Sinaitic origin of the word "El" which is the origin for todays "Allah". Wikipedia tells me it was used within sentences like 'il du Gat' or "the Lord of Gat(city)" like 'il mlk' or "The King" like "el qone ars" or "The Creator of Earth." 'il mainly seeming to reffer to "the" main thing. Later "El" is used as a general term for "god". though ʼil ḏū ‘ôlmi meant "The Eternal Lord"; as a given name. "El" quickly became a term like todays "god" or "deity". The Canaanites worshiped "El" as the Supreme God, husband of Asherah, and Father of this Universe. The sons and daughters of these main gods where 'il this and 'il that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality