U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Status: "My Human is an Idiot--Signed The Cat" (set 7 days ago)

9,402 posts, read 3,240,388 times
Default Why are all the wise sayings, old sayings?

Doesn't the present generation have any wise words to leave for posterity? Has wisdom become something reserved only for our ancestors?

Will the word from this era be the wise words of Alfred E. Newman when in the late 1950s he first said:

"It's Crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 PM

3,647 posts, read 1,477,295 times
"If it feels good, do it."

Ever since I heard that phrase in the 60's, it has been the guiding principle of my entire life.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 PM

9,971 posts, read 6,173,403 times
I always use two words with my grandson, "lesson learned" whenever he does something that does not necessarily turn out right.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 PM

7,124 posts, read 9,230,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Doesn't the present generation have any wise words ..............
Of course they do. But like most generations the wise words are few and far between. It's just when you go back in history it seems somehow more condensed. Pull up the wise words of Ben Franklin........and the dozen or so you find are the result of a lifetime of contemplation. Same with Mark Twain. Same with Will Rogers. Locke wrote a book. Even the Bible AND Koran, combined, short as they are, are the result of a filter of 5,000 years.

We have our wise pundits today, though. Chris Rock, John Oliver, Ron White.......and we have the pseudo wise guys like Boehner, Obama, Clinton, Reagan, Guilanni, etc...........

Ever notice how wise sayings tend to be humorous? As you look back over time, for every serious wise saying that makes you think, there are five that make you both laugh and think. So if you are looking for profound wisdom, look no further than the nearest comedy club.......

Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,534,311 times
confucious says,, "man with long stick can poke from far away"

Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 PM

13,859 posts, read 12,570,518 times
I think part of why wise sayings are often old sayings is because time allows us to separate the wheat from the chaff. It's like how sometimes people feel the movies of the 1940s or 1970s were so excellent. Maybe it was a good era, but perhaps just as important is that the really cruddy movies of those eras either get forgotten or become just something to laugh at.

However there was a line from The Simpsons, uttered by Homer of all people, that went "Some people never change, or they quickly change and then quickly change back" that struck me as "true" in a way. At least I've certainly seen people who were "good girls" go "wild" but then go back to what they were. Or people who had been "bad" try to make a radical life-change, but later it doesn't take. Granted Zen Buddhism has a saying like "At the start of Zen you see stirring a pot as stirring a pot, then you see it with new eyes in the transition, and then finally you see stirring a pot as stirring a pot." However that's a different kind of thing in that in that saying it's implied that you return to where you start but with a different appreciation or something.

Anyway Charles Schulz Peanuts comics also occasionally had some wisdom in it.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Status: "My Human is an Idiot--Signed The Cat" (set 7 days ago)

9,402 posts, read 3,240,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
. Charles Schulz Peanuts comics also occasionally had some wisdom in it.
How true, and now thinking back so did Walt Kelly's Pogo "We have met the enemy and he is we."

Old 08-17-2011, 02:54 PM

616 posts, read 444,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think part of why wise sayings are often old sayings is because time allows us to separate the wheat from the chaff. It's like how sometimes people feel the movies of the 1940s or 1970s were so excellent. Maybe it was a good era, but perhaps just as important is that the really cruddy movies of those eras either get forgotten or become just something to laugh at.
This was basically what I was going to post, except my analogy would have been music. How great was all the music back in [whenever you were in your teens to mid-20's]? Especially [your favorite band from back then]? Those guys were incredible, right? Way better than all the crap coming out today.

But of course if you were to really go through an exhaustive collection of the music from that era, you'd notice that there was plenty of crap then, too. You even liked some of it. The true gems stand out the brighter, but when you look at the big picture they were few and far between.

It's the same with anything. With the passage of time, all the white noise and gilded garbage will be winnowed away and forgotten, and the good stuff will stay with us, be it movies, music, or wise sayings.

Addendum; that having been said, being that we live in the era of cheap, easy mass communication where anyone who can get online can make themselves heard, we have a lot more white noise to struggle against than any previous generation.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:55 AM

14,876 posts, read 6,682,567 times
To the old wise words 'The thing I don't wish done to me, I don't wish to do to anyone else' were valuably added to in the 60's 'Do your own thing' with the 80s amendment 'provided that you are not thereby messing up anyone else's thing'.

The Platinum rule and amendment added to the golden rule is a pretty wise saying and I take it as a good consensus rule of relative morality, too.

As to other wise words, one could do worse than peruse the atheists' sayings thread.

Last edited by AREQUIPA; 08-18-2011 at 03:11 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 04:49 AM

13,859 posts, read 12,570,518 times
The Christian quote one didn't go as far, alas, but although it had many very old ones it also had some fairly modern quotes too.

Favorite Christian quotes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality