Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times

Advertisements

It's a difficult question. One that would be hard to answer without starting a fight. This is not really enough of an answer, but...

In its first three centuries Christianity survived in what you could deem a "competitive religious marketplace", one that was indifferent or hostile to it. It's survived in India for as much as nineteen centuries without official approval. In Iraq or Egypt it's survived thirteen centuries of Islamic rule, which was sometimes friendly but sometimes not friendly at all. And those areas produced some interesting Christians too, such as Hunayn ibn Ishaq.

The church in the shadow of the ... - Google Books

Hunayn ibn Ishaq, On how to discern the truth of religion (2009)

Since then Christianity has been applicable in more cultures than maybe any religion.

In addition to be canonized a saint has to have confirmed miracles. Catholicism process might be ridiculed by atheists, but it's more rigorous in scrutiny than most religions do. There's also Marian apparitions, not simply one but any or all of them. As well as Joan of Arc and certain other events in recorded history.

Lastly some point to it being Christendom, particularly Western Christendom I grant, that lead to the modern world. Not the more philosophical Chinese or the pagan Lithuanians. (They stayed pagan for a long time)

So from the faith of laborers in a Roman province we have a religion that's applicable in diverse settings, has been able to survive over a dozen centuries without official support, has a mass of reported miracles, is reputedly growing in societies that have become thoroughly secular (China, Vietnam, etc) and maybe some of what Ishaq said. And some other things, but I have a cold coming on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What verifiable, historical evidence is there in support of Christianity being the true religion while others are not???
If you read through threads started by Islamic proselytizers (or people who hide behind a computer screen and pretend to be), you'll find precisely the same attitude. It's their way or the highway.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Well this is a bit of a non-answer isn't it?

The question is simple, what is it that makes Christianity true and other religions false?
The belief that there is but one true God, and that Jesus Christ is His son and the only path to salvation (eternal life).

Old 08-19-2011, 07:24 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Because I was raised in Oklahoma, and that's what my Pa told me on the farm...

Ok, just kidding, but it is simply how they were raised. Many christians admit one of the reasons why they believe is because they were raised to believe it, just like any religion and other multiple belief systems.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The belief that there is but one true God, and that Jesus Christ is His son and the only path to salvation (eternal life).
That's what makes it a different religion, but doesn't show anything about it being correct.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:47 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Because I was raised in Oklahoma, and that's what my Pa told me on the farm...

Ok, just kidding, but it is simply how they were raised. Many christians admit one of the reasons why they believe is because they were raised to believe it, just like any religion and other multiple belief systems.
That's probably it like 80% of the time, but if that was all of it we wouldn't see people raised without religion becoming religious however we clearly do see that.

Entering and Leaving the Ranks of the Unaffiliated: Faith in Flux - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Harry Potter and the Christian Magicians | John C. Wright's Journal - "This was an admission grudging to me because I was then a lifelong atheist and a hardened skeptic, and to make any admission that Christianity was not the most false and most pernicious of all false systems is nigh impossible for atheists." (His words, I wouldn't go as far as him. Still I first started reading his fiction when he was, quite clearly, an atheist. I think the following interview is from his atheist days as he describes himself as "A Stoic", his conversion is listed elsewhere as happening a year after this interview, and he does not get into religion here.)

http://www.sfsite.com/05a/jcw127.htm

(There's also something by him on Youtube, but Youtube videos tend to have a huge amount of juvenile comments regardless of what's posted. If you can ignore those it might be interesting to you, or not)

Last edited by Thomas R.; 08-19-2011 at 08:03 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 09:08 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
So far most of the responses were from atheists.

Jesus is quoted in John 14:6--I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except thru Me.

That is why I believe Chriatianity to be the right religion.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So far most of the responses were from atheists.

Jesus is quoted in John 14:6--I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except thru Me.

That is why I believe Chriatianity to be the right religion.
How can we be sure he wasn't being metaphorical? How can we be sure he wasn't lying?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That's probably it like 80% of the time, but if that was all of it we wouldn't see people raised without religion becoming religious however we clearly do see that.

Entering and Leaving the Ranks of the Unaffiliated: Faith in Flux - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Harry Potter and the Christian Magicians | John C. Wright's Journal - "This was an admission grudging to me because I was then a lifelong atheist and a hardened skeptic, and to make any admission that Christianity was not the most false and most pernicious of all false systems is nigh impossible for atheists." (His words, I wouldn't go as far as him. Still I first started reading his fiction when he was, quite clearly, an atheist. I think the following interview is from his atheist days as he describes himself as "A Stoic", his conversion is listed elsewhere as happening a year after this interview, and he does not get into religion here.)

http://www.sfsite.com/05a/jcw127.htm

(There's also something by him on Youtube, but Youtube videos tend to have a huge amount of juvenile comments regardless of what's posted. If you can ignore those it might be interesting to you, or not)

I'm more baffled at an atheist becoming religious than I'm baffled at religious people themselves. So this will always be a mystery to me ><

Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
The question in the OP is much too difficult (or too complicated) for christians to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality