Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:32 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I on the other hand, was raised in an atheistic household and found atheism preposterous. I investigated a number of religions and am now a Christian.
So tell me, why did you choose Christianity over the many other choices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Short story:

In my spiritual quest I started with God. So that ruled out Buddhism. Hinduism-all these gods and idols. No thanks. Occultic stuff was a tad scarey. Taoism-didn't do a thing for me, plus it didn't involve God. Islam-eek! Judaism, something was missing. Read the NT, talked with a bunch of people, prayed and here I am.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:19 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,092 times
Quote:
Short story:

In my spiritual quest I started with God. So that ruled out Buddhism. Hinduism-all these gods and idols. No thanks. Occultic stuff was a tad scarey. Taoism-didn't do a thing for me, plus it didn't involve God. Islam-eek! Judaism, something was missing. Read the NT, talked with a bunch of people, prayed and here I am.
That's great! It sounds like a deep thought process!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:21 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Short story:

So how do you deal with the old testament and the nonsense that is in both the old and new? Things like the loaves and fishes myth, wine to water, resurrection, etc...Do you really believe these impossible stories are true?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:10 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Stand by for 'It's only a theory' folks.
And not an especially good one at that.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
That's something you're have to figure out for yourself.

Was Jesus a liar, crazy or what he claimed to be?
what did he claim to be? I and the father are one but the father is greater than me? pantheism?

Old 08-19-2011, 05:43 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
If christianity can't be proven to be true then we should disregard it.
I don't think real life works that way for most people. Can you prove justice or equality true?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
Quote:
So far most of the responses were from atheists.
This was one of the reasons I posted this in the main forum rather than the Christianity forum. I knew more people would view it, and there would be sort of a check and balance in place for lack of a better term. I didn't want it to be a one sided discussion.

Quote:
Jesus is quoted in John 14:6--I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except thru Me.
Ok, but it has to be proven that Jesus said this before it can be used as evidence of truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
How can we be sure he wasn't being metaphorical? How can we be sure he wasn't lying?
Or a schizophrenic with the belief that he was the son of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Like evolution?
Open a 5th grade science book, theres more than enough evidence to prove Evolution.

I can't stand it when people deny something that is so clearly true and is supported by mountains and mountains and mountains of evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
^^^^ This, this is what the OP boils down to.

Quote:
Short story:

Just a few questions for you 5150......

Am I right or wrong in making the assumption that a "spritual quest" is a search for truth? If I am right, then I would ask you how you expected to find what is truth when it seems to me that you had predetermined what you percieved to be truth { "In my spiritual quest I started with God."} before even embarking on this quest? Can we find truth about anything when we examine the evidence and theories with partiality? If you had examined all the above quoted religions that you imediately dismissed by your own admission, how do you know that you wouldn't have found truth in one of them?

Furthermore, it sounds that you started this quest with the already made decision that you would infact find truth in religion. If you had kept a completely open mind, how do you know that you wouldn't have found truth in some other religion, or that you would have found truth in religion at all?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:43 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,092 times
If christianity cannot be proven to be true then it should not be taken serious and becomes the target of ridicules, as do most follies.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:55 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't think real life works that way for most people. Can you prove justice or equality true?
I think we discussed this already. If the Blible claims for Jesus as Christ are false, the whole of christianity falls on it face. if Buddha never existed, it doesn't matter - if the teachings are correct (I doubt they are, actually).

On the other hand, Justice and equality are human conventions which we hold to be beneficial to human society. There is no question of proving them true. We have invented them. If we have invented Christianity, is there any validity to it?

I would say, not enough to justify perpetuating a false belief. The moral and social directions would be better evaluated rather than followed as divine directives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality