Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 01:50 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times

Advertisements

Yep, let's really look at this one.
It's the once saved-always saved debate.

Recently the youth minister in one of our larger churches strangled his wife, put her body in the car and carried her many miles away to bury her. Came back home and resumed his duties. When the murder was discovered, (I forget the details, something about where he said she was to explain her absence) he said he was terribly sorry.

Now, what I have problems with is that he continued with his church duties just as if nothing had happened. If her absence had not been noted, or her body found, I supposed he would still be there.

Soooo, what's your opinion as to his fate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 01:54 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,741,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Recently the youth minister in one of our larger churches strangled his wife, put her body in the car and carried her many miles away to bury her. Came back home and resumed his duties. When the murder was discovered, (I forget the details, something about where he said she was to explain her absence) he said he was terribly sorry.

Now, what I have problems with is that he continued with his church duties just as if nothing had happened. If her absence had not been noted, or her body found, I supposed he would still be there.

David, a man after Gods own heart, commited murder, so that shows God forgives...now would I personally want him anywhere near youth again? IMHO nope, never, nada..theres alot of ifs and whys and future tenses here that Im sure will be brought up..

Old 08-15-2007, 01:56 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,136 times
He committed a sin in killing his wife. He further committed a sin by lying about it. Satan was having a field day with him.

Do I still believe he is a christian? Well, is that really for me to decide? I would ponder whether he was saved to begin with, and then if so, say he committed sins, which we all do. According to my interuptation of the Bible, sin = sin, no matter how you slice it. All are considered bad and the only one worse is the Unpardonable Sin.

IF I were to judge, would I not be as equally a sinner as he? I committed the sin of judgement.

I guess my answer would be to pray to God for guiadance for a godly heart, and to pray for this young person who has managed to get himself into a fine mess. Continue to pray not only for him and his family, but for the community to not react in anger but to take it to the Cross.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:57 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Here on earth that will be up 12 people to decide, after that it's up to God.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:44 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,114 times
I would say that his sin has gotten, in a very big way, between him and God--and had gotten that way at some time before he actually strangled his wife. Was he ever saved? I'd imagine at some point, but his deeds display a rejection of that salvation (particularly if he isn't repentant).

Old 08-15-2007, 02:50 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Default Tragic situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
I would say that his sin has gotten, in a very big way, between him and God--and had gotten that way at some time before he actually strangled his wife. Was he ever saved? I'd imagine at some point, but his deeds display a rejection of that salvation.
I would tend to agree here. Like the other posters, I would say only God can really know someone's heart. I don't pretend to be able to judge that nor have any desire to do so. ( Whatever the case, I truly do believe that he could sincerely repent and be forgiven.) However, I will say that my belief is that you can at one time legitmately know the Lord and walk away from that relationship. (In other words, no, I don't believe in "once saved, always saved." However, as I have said in the past, just because I don't believe in "once saved, always saved" doesn't mean I believe "once saved, hardly saved" either. I think we can have assurance of our salvation and standing with the Lord.)

Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
I have never fully understood the once saved always saved concept. But this man would be a murderer if a jury of his peers find him guilty of the crime. In my eyes he is a murderer. Whether or not he is still saved is between him and God. I would not judge him beyond the laws of the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality